Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 248 total)
  • Who's got the bestest watch?
  • rondo101
    Free Member

Bought for me by my now wife as a "man-gagement" present. One of the many reasons I married her.

elaineanne
    Free Member

oh dear this is one of those saddo threads… "whose got the bestest"…..whatever !
    does it really matter 'what kind of watch' you have on your wrist-as long as it tells you the time ..thats all that counts….no need for Rolex,
    just for the record i have a 20.00 watch from 'NEXT' white leather look strap with a blue face…. it keeps time well so no need to buy a 'top of the range watch'….. id rather spend money on my bike which is better than any of you guys have got ! so nah nah nah nah nah….lol 😉 :mrgreen:

rob2
    Free Member

A rado. End of thread :o)

And about three 1970s LED watches. Great, except when its sunny and you can't see the time!

And penis envy ;o)

stuey
    Free Member

Every pre school-er knows this one …

Mr Wolf

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

@ nicko74

It's a lovely piece of kit. Though 😳 I'm not using it to anywhere near its capability. I thought it would make me awesome. Turns out I'm the one that needs to put the work in. The XT just tells me how shit I am.

beej

Stowa Marine on order, due end of October. They'll email me when they start making it though!

Also got a Tag, and an Akteo Cyclisme 02:

Akteo

Oh, and a Tissot PR50 Chrono.

I like watches. Watches and sunglasses.

Cletus

Casio G-Shock AWG-101

Solar powered so no batteries to swap or winding. Syncs with radio signal so always accurate. Tough as old boots. Only downer is that the light is a weak sickly yellow colour

lipseal
    Free Member

1996 Rolex Sea Dweller.
    Thanks for the list now can you all tell me when your going on holiday.

Woody
    Free Member

Strange how there are so many people -ve about watches on here. I have a CK headset but my bike rides exactly the same as with the one I bought for a tenner in On-Ones sale. I also have a G-Shock which I regard the same as I would plastic pedals ie. does the job but ultimately cheap plastic crap.

My current favourite watch – not expensive as watches go but very well made and a limited edition of 50.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I have a CK headset but my bike rides exactly the same as with the one I bought for a tenner in On-Ones sale

I am glad you have said that.

Woody
    Free Member

Why, have you just bought one too ?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I don't even know any more. I'm too frightened. 😥

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I don't have any working watches. I have a good collection of non functioning ones. If I wear a watch it stops so I gave up. Wrist watches, pocket watches, mechanical, digital, automatic, they all stop within a short time.

jamesca
    Free Member

i've always wanted an expensive watch, but in the interim bought a christopher ward which was still quite pricy but not rolex/omega money. anyway the deal was whatever i spent on an engagement ring i could have the same value in watch. however even though i did spend a considerable amount on the ring i couldn't bring myself to get a rolex, for 2 reasons, one i thought it cheapened the sentiment of getting engaged and two i no longer think they are worth the money, if there was less celeb endorsements and sponsorships of large sporting events then i would be more tempted. it's the craftsmanship i like as much as anything….not which A lister wears them. I still lust after them but not sure they are for me
    …thankfully i didn't come away empty handed as i got a cove hustler frame.

skiboy
    Free Member

'z' series rolex sea dweller, brought it 'cause i always wanted one and i also have the money, i also have a large peni5 so that puts that old myth to bed, i hope you all choke 😀

just to round up i cost 2930 new and is now worth around 3500, so there

beej

Don't be so harsh on yourself skiboy, I'm sure you is worth more than that.

Solo
    Free Member

When times were better, I collected a few pieces, but nothing of massive note:

Breitling: Chrono Super Ocean, mechanical. Wish I'd got the Super Ocean now, but still happy with the one I have.

Omega: De ville as I wanted a watch that incorporated the co-axial movement as devised by Mr Daniels. A landmark in the world of watch escapement design.

Baume and Mercier: Hampton

And a few other sub £100 quid watches, that I've kept for sentimental reasons, or just cos I like the look of them.

I'm currently wearing an Argos discount special, after seeing another watch thread on here and spotting it.

I've collected a few watches as I'm totally in awe of the little mechanical things. Although they have been developed over quite a period time, these miniaturized, enclosed, marvels of machinery, just stay on my wrist, working away to keep time, the only source of their power being physical movement.
    Just because the modern machanical movement has been productionized to the point where thousands are made each year, this doesn't detract, for me, from what they manage to do.
    If I could, I'd have commisioned a watch by George Daniels.
    A truely awesome watch maker and contributor to the word of watch making, and the father of the only new, viable, watch escapement for a very long time.

Best watch ?, isn't that like asking for the best painting ?, surely an impossible question to achieve consensus.
    A person with a £10 watch, who is happy with it, has the best watch
    or the person with a George Daniels has the best watch

I like this thread just to see what others like and own.
    🙂

nickf
    Free Member

skiboy – Member
    'z' series rolex sea dweller, brought it 'cause i always wanted one and i also have the money, i also have a large peni5 so that puts that old myth to bed, i hope you all choke

just to round up i cost 2930 new and is now worth around 3500, so there

Ditto. Except for the large dick, obviously.

Mine was secondhand but unworn, bought when they weren't particularly desirable and has doubled in value since I got it. It gets worn every day, DH in Morzine included.

Stupidly expensive for what it is, utterly pointless in terms of accuracy when compared to a cheap digital, but I love it to bits.

brack
    Free Member

Suunto vector here

Happy with it

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Well I think this post makes it 100 on a subject branded as the most boring ever.

Nice to know I'm not the only person who likes a good tag!

philconsequence
    Free Member

used to love watches, dad travelled so would randomly bring back weird watches, had a backwards one that went anti-clockwise 🙂 but i haven't worn a watch for years… the moment i started working in mental health and had to be involved in restraining patients it became very obvious wearing a watch that can be ripped off/broken was a waste of watches 🙁 since then i've always used my mobile

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

"I have a late '30s Schwarz Geneve. The history of the watch and the original owner are what really makes it."
    Is that the one that used to belong to Oswald Mosley then captain? 😉
    In reply to all the 'expensive watch small willy' posts, I bought my Omega with some of the money from the compensation I recieved after a near fatal RTA. I've worn it every day since, dont bother taking it off when I'm out on the bike, and yes, it looks suitably bling when I'm knocking one out.
    In response to the above post, I do take it off when running to attend any incidents at work – pretty sure the NHS wouldnt replace it if it got damaged during a spot of pro celebrity wrestling!

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I have a Seiko Kinetic relay thats about 10 years old now – my first 'nice' watch, Automatic, waterproof and stainless steel so pretty durable. Heavy though, and I don't like the weight on my wrist compared to the much lighter and less fussy Citizen Eco-drive divers I use daily. Its solar driven and waterproof.

I tend to chose watches for durability and then looks. Even my own logic dictates that a decent G-shock digital is probably the ideal, but there is something nice about wearing a mechnical watch, even if its driven by quartz.

BontyBuns
    Free Member

King of cool at a fraction of the cost

Woody
    Free Member

I do take it off when running to attend any incidents at work

I don't know what's worse – wasting those vital, potentially life-saving seconds to remove a watch or the fact that you RUN……….unless it's a punch-up of course, in which case, get in there son 😉

mcboo
    Free Member

G10 issue, all the watch you ever need…..and free!

hora
    Free Member

Can we have more picture submissions please. Some of us are using this thread for new watch ideas 😈

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

woody – I work in forensics, so it's a pretty safe bet that it's always gonna be a punch up!

seanoc
    Free Member

CWC divers watch black with date. Free under issue; just had to do a lot of humping and grunting to qualify for it.

philconsequence
    Free Member

Barnsleymitch… they definately dont replace broken watches 🙁 no longer in the nhs, work in a much more relaxed setting now but never got back into the habit of wearing a watch

clubber
    Free Member

Citizen Eco-Drive

First watch that has lasted me more than a year in a very long time… That said, I have managed to chip the glass, just can't quite get organised enough to get it to someone to repair it.

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

"they definately dont replace broken watches" I know. They also frown upon replacing what they call 'designer clothing' damaged during incidents. Primarni and cheap watches it is then 😕

meesterbond

For what it's worth, watches are a bit of a hobby of mine. I've got a few, but this is my favourite…

It's a Parmigiani Tonda, bought when I got married…

slimtubing
    Free Member

Cheapo Mambo multi coloured surfy style watch which i bought as an interim timepiece until i saw a new watch which I liked the look of, that was in 2002 and the bloody thing just won't die!
    Official Swiss railway big Date model, graduation gift from my Dad.
    Fossil with large plain face on a nice fat 70's style green leather band.
    all ace in their own way but the fossil has 2 huge ugly scratches which i did very early on which piss me off no end as i'm too skint to get a new glass.
    google imaged all of them and nowt came up.

guitarmanjon
    Free Member

Day-to-day, this little beauty:

Yes, it is functional and highly accurate, but I also love the way it looks.

Running/riding:

Plenty of functions for sports.

I also have an animal watch that my girfriend bought me for my birthday a few years ago. It's knackered and needs another new strap but I won't get rid of it as it's the first birthday present she ever bought for me.

hora
    Free Member

Day-to-day, this little beauty

In a way its actually quite stunning and retro.

organic355
    Free Member

Ive got a SUUNTO Observer.

Compass, Barometer, thermommeter, alitmeter, and it tells the time!

Big-Dave
    Free Member

Going on the basis that it has worked flawlessly for 11 years and has never needed a battery I reckon my ageing Citizen EcoDrive is the best watch on this forum.

It doesn't look like tinsel covered crap either. 😉

guitarmanjon
    Free Member

In a way its actually quite stunning and retro.

I hate to seem shallow, but that is one of the reasons I bought it (and it was £15 and reminded me of the plastic version I had as a kid).

Ive got a SUUNTO Observer.

Now that is a watch I could get on with. It does everything.

mos

Suunto X6HR here. Would like a tag Monaco, but would probably see something i liked better straight after. But of all the things to splooge money on, a nice watch probably gives the most palletable depreciation, certainly better than a bike or car.
    I know someone with 2 Patek's & their vaule has risen by anout £20K since he bought them. So although ridiculously expensive for a watch, not bad value. Shame they don't do one with a HR Monitor.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 248 total)

The topic ‘Who's got the bestest watch?’ is closed to new replies.