Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Who's got a Turner Burner then?
  • sam_underhill

Currently I’m riding a 2011 DW flux, which I really enjoy. I something a bit slacker and burlier for when I’m not just riding XC.
    I like the way DW link rides, so a Burner is a natural choice. I rode a carbon Bronson last year and I liked it, but the way the suspension behaved when climbing left me a bit “meh” compared to my flux.

So, tell me about your Burners please.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

The Burner occupies the same position as the 5 spot did, except in 650b flavour.

You can build it to be light, medium or heavy weight trail bike. Pick your poison.

Considering that the DW kinematics are optimised for each frame based on its intended use, it’s likely to be a little different, and certainly heavier.

I only have a Sultan, so I can’t really comment any more than that.

sam_underhill

As I’ve got a light-ish option I would probably build one up with 150mm Pikes and a sturdier build. Although with LB carbon rims and 1×11 it might not end up being that heavy! The intention would be to have something that can take jumps and drops.

batman11
    Free Member

Just wondering what size you might be looking to get??

sam_underhill

Medium

hammyuk
    Free Member

Missnotax does and loves it but haven’t ridden one personally.
    Everyone I know who has one love it though if thats any help

batman11
    Free Member

Oh well I’m going to be selling an Xl of soon I think. Can’t comment as it’s sat in the box still un built.
    Bats.

bigdean

Oh well I’m going to be selling an Xl of soon I think. Can’t comment as it’s sat in the box still un built.
    Bats.

Oh if i had the money, go on then how much?

adsh
    Free Member

Where have all the Turner’s gone? A while ago there were stacks of Flux’s and 5 Spots being posted about Now the 5 spots only seem to appear on classifieds, the Flux’s are silent (apart from the OP) and hardly anyone seems to be buying/posting about the new Flux/Burner.

A great thing about the Burner is it has a longer TT than the others. TT length is IMHO a bit of a weakness in the Turner range with some of the more XC bikes being too short in L.

rexated
    Free Member

I rode one for a couple of days whilst on holiday in Colorado. Absolutely brilliant bike. I used to have a dw flux as well, so can give an opinion that the pedalling characteristics aren’t a whole load different (i.e. the dw works very well in this application) but it does feel very different in overall ride character. Very fun, a lot easier to pop it over stuff than the sultan (which was still pretty good for a long 29er). DIdn’t notice the wheelsize as being a whole load different from 26″ but the burner was using pretty small 2.1″ tyres which probably narrowed the difference. if I only had one bike etc etc ………

DO IT!

rexated
    Free Member

btw, I’m 5’10” (a notorious ‘in betweener’ size for Turners) and test rode the medium. It was verging on the the compact side of things, but I reckon that would be fixed by riding bars of a proper width (the hire bike had 680mm on).

5spot
    Free Member

My Burner,std xt build with xtr chainset,crossmax endure wheels & dropper post,great bike number 8 Turner for me.

Simwit

I’ve got a Burner. It’s a small with a mix of old and new XT gear, 2×10 with Pikes at 150mm, Hope/Flows wheelset & a KS Lev dropper. So far I’m very pleased with it although I feel I’m only just getting used to it a dozen or so rides in after a year on a hardtail.

mactheknife

adsh – Member
    Where have all the Turner’s gone? A while ago there were stacks of Flux’s and 5 Spots being posted about Now the 5 spots only seem to appear on classifieds, the Flux’s are silent (apart from the OP) and hardly anyone seems to be buying/posting about the new Flux/Burner.

I have had a 5 spot for about 2 and a half years now, i started to get the itch for a different bike recently so had a play on a few. I was down at innerleithen this week and had a good play on a Yeti SB66 which i had narrowed it down to. And guess what, the 5 spot without a doubt put a bigger smile on my face. I absolutely love that bike. I will run it till it dies 🙂

sam_underhill

Cheers folks. I’m on the cusp of sizes at the other end of medium, at 5’7″. So the shortness of tt works in my favour. Medium flux fits great with 60mm stem and 711 bars. Having said that the burner has longer tt so might need to go shorter still on a stem for burner, but still go with medium. The small looks tiny.
    Looks like you guys are loving them though, which isn’t surprising given my experiences with my flux.

Vortexracing

And guess what, the 5 spot without a doubt put a bigger smile on my face. I absolutely love that bike

here, here, I just need to find a 2011 onward one, in small, then I can run some pikes with a taper steerer.

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

I have a 2011 5 spot for sale if your interested

Vortexracing

It’s a small I need

Ta anyway

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member
    razorrazoo

If only that was a medium…. 😥

sam_underhill

I just manufacturers would let you choose the rear shock / still the frame without it. Had to push my rp23 on my flux to make it behave. I know I’ll probably need to do the same with burner – or swap it out for something better. Monarch plus or ccdb air should do it.

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

Sam have you tried a medium!? I’m 5,8 and ride a medium I’m sure a small would be too small
    The top tubes are very low and short. With a 50mm stem I can ride a large. Where are you your welcome to try mine for size

Simwit

My Burner out in the woods today 8)

bigdean

If i had the money, looks a good deal.
    Love my 5 sport just wish the wheel were in proportion to the frame.

sam_underhill

NCB – thanks, I’m pretty certain a small would be too small.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Who's got a Turner Burner then?’ is closed to new replies.