• This topic has 33 replies, 28 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Pook.
Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Who's been out tonight then? Grim eh?
  • Pook

Went out for a trundle round in the dark peak tonight. Forgot my coat but thought it was warm enough so went out anyway.

Anyway, putting the bike together in the pouring rain I began thinking ‘what am I doing?’. I thought the same as my back wheel was slipping on the sopping wet stones climbing one of the edges.

I felt the same as I was sheltering behind some boulders from the driving rain – it’d really turned nasty, blowing a gale and the rain was coming in sideways – real stinging stuff.

You know when it gets to that point where you think ‘I need to get off this hill now’? I hit that point at about the farthest point from the car.

Stupid, stupid man. No coat, on my own, exploring new trails.

All ended well, but still. Could’ve gone very wrong.

Anyone else had fun tonight?

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

dry and very warm for me

Roulercoaster
    Free Member

gisburn. Got there about 4 pm and its was fine, by 6 there was horizontal rain. It was fantastic, but the pub was shut 🙁

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

I went for a road ride earlier and the wind made it hard work. No rain but the wind was just shocking. That said when it was behind me it was brilliant, 30 mph+ on the flat. 😀

derekrides
    Free Member

It was OK, just beginning to chill a bit, the coconuts are beginning to fall off the trees down our way and the palm fronds were wafting in the evening breeze..

The dog embarrassed me tonight by curling one out somewhere most inappropriate, I really had to leg it.

Kbrembo
    Free Member

It was fine and dry up in Inverness…

Needed the lights on by 7:15pm though…..

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

It was fine and dry up in Inverness…

Was that their summer then.?

Kbrembo
    Free Member

Our “fine” may be interpreted different than a lowlander’s fine 😆

lucien

2+ hours around Lordswood Enclosure tonight, blowing a gale and rain on and off – 1st night ride for ages, loved it!!

scraprider
    Free Member

not tonite , am out in the darkest depths of haldon hill tomoz.

Bunnyhop

Luckily my little pootle was this morning as I thought the weather would take a turn for the worst.
    Glad your safely back pook, I never did enjoy night riding solo.

BadlyWiredDog

Nice evening to go running. With a snorkel. And flippers.

Vortexracing

Yip, we have. A bit wet to put it mildly. 🙁

MrSparkle

Aye, Darwen Moor. Some proper rain and wind! First night ride for a while and straight into it! At least it was warm.

lemonysam
    Free Member

Quick loop around the Chevin to test out the Smudge light against a Vision 4, kicks its arse. Got home and was made to change in the garage and wash myself off under the hose.

rOcKeTdOg

wet and warm here, i was never getting lost in those shorts though

night danger by rOcKeTdOgUk, on Flickr

landcruiser
    Free Member

Just got back ! Dry and warm in Surrey 😀 looks like it could be the last good night for a while though. We could even sit and have a pint outside the pub without inviting Mr Hypothermia.

addy6402

Riding home was bad enough for me – felt like I was on a turbo trainer in the shower!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I was gonna go out for a decent ride just after work but hammering rain and 30mph winds put me off. Just been out now for an hour, it was windy but lovely and the roads were quiet. Night riding is great.

Anna-B
    Free Member

Light breeze and refreshing drizzle here for my evening ride…. got home from work with a headache feeling a bit sh*t. Went out for a bike ride and like magic, was all better by the time I got back 🙂

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Got soaked tonight, but was pushing on a bit so kept nice and warm. Would not have wanted a mechanical though.

elaineanne
    Free Member

not been out in these winds i just mite get blown away. 😉
    whats a Gisburn forest like these days havent been for many months 😥
    whats the new trail like ( is it called the ‘Hope’ line or sommet…saw a short vid with Ed Ox riding it…

lemonysam
    Free Member

Gisburn’s good, not too worn out after the summer though the last descent to the carpark’s looking a little tired. The Hope Line’s pretty much crap.

scaredypants

nah, was out last night though – bit too warm and lots of dust in my eyes from the grown-ups who were in front

last properly dry one of the year I think 🙁

dadster21
    Free Member

Hope the peaks clear up by the weekend – riding Dark Peak area this Saturday…….. 😕

squiff
    Free Member

Got soaked tonight, but was pushing on a bit so kept nice and warm. Would not have wanted a mechanical though.

+1

Taff
    Free Member

It’s just really windy here, little bit of drizzle. So glad I hadn’t planned on going back to the mother land to do some fishing with my Dad on Friday and some riding for the rest of the weekend… I mean that would be madness

dan1980
    Free Member

I got caught in a feirce shower just pottering over Lantern pike on my way home from Kinder. It was sunny when I left so didn’t think I’d need anything other than a baselayer and some shorts.

Much dampness, wasn’t ideal 🙂

neninja
    Free Member

Dry here – went out about 8pm locally. Was ridiculously windy – was fearful of a tree or branch landing on me at times.

Thought it would be cold so was togged up in windproof bib under baggies but didn’t bother with a jacket, just long sleeve merino with jersey over the top. I was properly sweltering.

Very quiet ride – not much wildlife around apart from a largish owl and a bat. I think the wind had sent most creatures under cover.

Nobby

Awful headwind, especially effective on a drag of a climb that is a sandfest following the decent weather & some exuberance from the local farmer.

Just as I turned for home there was a load pop and an immediate loss of air from the rear tyre thanks to a 20mm split in it. Ended up covered in latex, whilst putting a tube in to get me home, to which a vast quantity of dust stuck when I continued.

Just grateful it hadn’t rained by then…

Edit: And the conkers, it was so windy at times it seemed to be raining bloody conkers.

Pieface

Went running over stanage, gusting up to 50mph, heavy rain.

TBH heavy rain has been looking imminent all day so what you were doing without a jacket (let alone space blanket, spare thermal top…etc..tsk.tsk.tsk) is anyones guess.

elaineanne
    Free Member

more info on Gisburns new Hope line…someone above said its crap… is it ? i cant imagine why ? is it a short burst or something ? not technical enough ???… anyone else’s thoughts please… 😉

elaineanne
    Free Member

here is the clip…..you have to chase Ewoks apparently …lol he,s funny is Ed OX….

Pook

pieface, I know, I know. it was warm at least.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Who's been out tonight then? Grim eh?’ is closed to new replies.