Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Whooping cough tell me bout it
  • iolo
    Free Member

I had what I thought was a heavy cold weeks ago, it turned into a chest infection. I got some anti biotics which did nothing. I went back, got more anti biotics again which cleared my chest but the coughing was unbelievable, not able to breathe and nearly passing out. Back to the doctor who has diagnosed whooping cough which is great fun with my asthma. He said no more pills and will go away after 3 months!!!
    Has anyone had it? Please tell me it will be sooner than this.

MrsPoddy
    Free Member

I had it as a kid – I don’t remember being ill for 3 months though. But then this might be like the Chickenpox when adults get it, it is a lot worse.
    I would say that even now when I do get colds now they always turn into hacking coughs which get so bad that I feel like I can’t breath.
    I hope you feel better soon.

5thElefant
    Free Member

My baby brother had it. The little git kept the whole house up for 3 months.

Buzzlightyear
    Free Member

I had it when I was 27, im now 31.

I was off work for a month, couldnt sleep, couldnt risk getting out of breath so biking was off the cards for ages as was pretty much everything.

I think i was ill for about 2 months and had on going breathing problems for about a year after that, im sure it scared my lungs or something.

Not something i wish to ever experience again, i feel for you.

scaredypants

The whoopy-coughy bit is mostly inflammatory – antibiotics at this point don’t have a benefit.

In “normal” folk, this phase is up to about a month and then a bit more for full recovery. I’d imagine that an asthmatic would take at least that long. Soz 🙁

How do you normally manage your asthma – did you discuss any escalation options with GP ?

makkag
    Free Member

Diagnosed early last year cough like death for a month before going to doctors – signed off work for 4 days – then back in – still feel a bit wheezy nowadays – worst part was lack of sleep as waking myself coughing –

On the random plus side the now miss makkag gave me sympathy over it and i now live with her

iolo
    Free Member

I have the usual inhalers to control my asthma. I’m just taking them a lot more just now.

mrmoofo

I had it a year and a half ago. Initially it was diagnosed as a bad chest infection – antibiotics. They did nothing. These weeks later I went to an emergency drop in cenre ( couldn’t get to see a GP), where I was told I had the lung capicity of a 2.5 year old ( Chronic astmatic BTW, mum dies on pneumonia at 53). More antibiotics and told to MTFU.
    By this stage the coughing was stopping me breathing up to 5 times a night. The first time it happened it scares you shitless – after that you just get used to it.
    I had just started anew job, flying twice a week, I lost my voice fot two weeks, then it came back, only for me to sound like a barking dog.
    Next trip to the GP was equally fruitless. I then bumped into the consultant pedeatrician who lives oppiste me, who said “shit, how long have you has whooping cough”
    Sure enough I did – I infected my wife as well, and probably most of the south of England.
    So, how long does it take to get over. It took from the middle of April to the end of December for me to stop coughing. My voice has not recovered – I can speak normally for about 5 minutes before my voice box goes to croaky mode.
    The sticky gungy mucus that sticks in you throat only lasts about 4 months.
    The stopping breathing bit was only about 6 weeks

Now when I pick up a cold / chest infection, the cough comes back – in a minor form ( I have it now). You will have a weakened immune response to colds / flu etc.

Finally in August, the NHS declared there was an empidemic. The cause was the vaccination only give protection for around 17 years – and no-one in the NHS really knew what the symptons in older adults were …

You are in for an unpleasant time, sorry for that. But at least you know what it is and you are not being a big girls blouse ….

It is known as the 100 day cough ….

theotherjonv

Yes, had it about 18 months ago. Pretty horrible to start with, when you get a proper attack, unable to stop coughing until you feel like you’re going to pass out, or vomit, or sometimes both…… but that phase passes in a few weeks. After that I still got intense coughing but the frequency got much less. 3-4 months to be symptom free, I’d agree with.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/whooping-cough

globalti
    Free Member

When an infant has whooping cough (very alarming first time it happens) the recommended miracle cure is to take them into a steamy bathroom. It is miraculous how quickly they stop coughing.

DrP

Unfortunately, it’s not known as the “hundred day cough” without reason…

DrP

wwaswas

it’s not known as the “hundred day cough” without reason…

and the reason is?

😉

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Whooping cough tell me bout it’ is closed to new replies.