Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • who rides with one front ring?
  • geologist
    Free Member

Considering going 1 x 10.

Its fairly hilly round where I ride, so is this a wise move?

Anyone done it and gone back? or who has done it and found that its brought on their strength and fitness.

Cheers

iDave
    Free Member

I ride a 1 x 9, can’t see why I’d go back to anything else.

Coyote
    Free Member

1 x 9 here too. 36T up front seems to manage most things.

avdave2

1×9 on 1 bike
    1×14 on another

I’d only ever have more than one if I bought a road bike.

rOcKeTdOg

1×9 on two bikes 1×1 on the other

valleydaddy
    Free Member

1×10 on my 29er seems ok with a 36T

3×9 on my Zesty

Seggons
    Free Member

1 x 9, do need for anything else.
    Run a 32T front ring which sometimes feels out of it’s depth, might change to a 34

whinosp
    Free Member

1×9 here. 36 front with 11-34 casette. Its enough for South Wales hills. Having gone to 1x I now can’t see many reasons to go back. Most of my riding is off road, apart from a mile and a half road downhill where I generally spin out. Off road, no reason for smaller or bigger gears for me.

djflexure

1×9 with 34 has been fine this year on my 6″ travel bike.
    Ridden a few different places including Peaks all fine.
    Was a bit concerned going on holiday to France as lots of small climbs of 4-600m with bigger ones up to to 1500 but all was well.
    I’m quite fit but nothing special.
    I like the simplicity of the set up very much. Does not seem to spin out (for that type of riding anyway).
    My XC bike is still 3×9 but the main advantage is running a big ring on fireroads.

Rivett
    Free Member

1 x 9 here. Can’t see me changing back.

geologist
    Free Member

cheers all, my local stomping ground is Bringewood and the Longmynd so although not the biggest hills around, they are certainly very steep. I was concerned that just having the 10 gears to choose from would be forcing me to walk what i normally ride.

ian martin
    Free Member

When I went to one ring I found I wore out chains and cassettes much quicker than before.
    But with a stainless steel ring up front and a lack of front mech cable and shifter it probably balances out long term cost wise.

oxnop
    Free Member

Me.

1×10 on my Alpine 160
    1×9 on my Cotic Soul

All my local rides involve LOTS of hills too.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I need a granny ring for hills and so does almost everyone I ride with

rOcKeTdOg

TJ, you’ve got proper hills up there though

chvck
    Free Member

1×9 here for mid Wales and no problems unless it gets really steep/loose for a long period. I’ve ridden parts of the long mynd and there are a couple of climbs I can’t do but I’m not a good climber(only 2 I can’t out of the ones that I’ve tried): carding mill valley, I can’t ride up that for toffee and some stupidly steep road climb that comes out near the glider club!

Rickos
    Free Member

Been 1×9 for about 2 years and just fitted 10 speed last night, so now got 32 on the front and up to 36 on the back for those really steep bits. Climbs round here are steep but relatively short – typical river valley sort of stuff. I won’t be going back to a front mech though. So much quieter!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

1×9 was fine on a 36 once my legs adjusted but then that was in Oz and the hills were easier, in the lakes I aint getting rid of my 22t!

squiff
    Free Member

1 x 10 on one bike and 1 x 9 on the other, i will never go back to 3 up front plus it improves your fitness and makes you a better rider

monkeyboyjc

i’ve had 1×9 for 2 years and have now had 1×11 for about 9 months with no issues, not massivly hilliy around Bristol though.

skiboy
    Free Member

i run 9 speed dual with a 36T as my bigger ring and never use my granny, one of my mates asked me last night what size ring to use as a single on the front with 10 speed, it’s on a Lap’ zesty,

does the 36 work with the 10 speed and give similar ratios ????, i couldn’t answer his question,

also what chain tensioner should he go for ???

faaz
    Free Member

Don’t need more than 9 gears I find, if you’re relatively fit!

Not sure about teeth up the front though. Tempted to go 36 but know it would screw me on the climbs. Can’t see much difference going to 34 though from 32 so not sure. Just find when on flats it’s limiting me a bit on 32.

transporter13
    Free Member

1×8 here with a 38t ring….copes with almost anything

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

faaz – Member

Don’t need more than 9 gears I find, if you’re relatively fit!

Depends on your hills 🙂 and your riding style.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

1×9 on the pitch

1×1 on the hardtail

Done Inners red on the 1×9 many times, which is fairly easy, if that’s any benchmark. Probably wouldn’t fancy a long day in the lakes, or an all day natural ride in the scottish hills on it though.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

1×9 on my HT (Q’s, Mendips). I’d struggle with a 36t though. I have a 34t and when that wears out, I’ll put a 32t on

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

See that there tour of Ben Nevis that was raced yesterday – I wonder how many of them had no granny ring?

jam-bo

33t front – 11-36 rear.

still climbing the same hills I used to slip down into the granny on, stops me being lazy.

only real issue is steep slippery climbs where its easier to spin out.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

can everyone posting here add what their local riding is as saying I can do all my riding 1×9 is fairly meaningless otherwise!!

jam-bo

dartmoor. big hills, long climbs.

strange 5 with Lyrics

unsponsored
    Free Member
    mboy
    Free Member

1×10 on my hardtail with 11-36 cassette and a 36T ring.

Did start off with a 32T ring, which was better for steeper hills, but found I ran out of gears slightly too quickly.

Single ring doesn’t make you fitter (contrary to what people above have said), but it does build your strength and stamina, and it focuses the mind on getting up the hills that you would otherwise just bail out into the granny on…

whinosp
    Free Member

Increasing strength and stamina seem to be an increase in fitness to me?

mandog

1 x 9
    32-34/11
    Surrey Hills
    Patriot

j3ffo
    Free Member

Been riding 1X9 for the past few months. Took a few rides to adjust but can’t see any need to change now.

I ride NY moors and Dales with a 33t 11-34 set up.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

i rode all summer in the alps (up and down) with a single 32t ring (as did 2 guides i was working with). not TA style constant uplifts, but lots and lots of climbing.

i think its a personal thing – some will be fine, others won’t.

fwiw there were a few at the tour de ben nevis on single rings, some of us even did it SS 😉

thepodge
    Free Member

1×8 in the peak, I do get off and walk sometimes but generally its fine

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘who rides with one front ring?’ is closed to new replies.