Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)
  • Who plays what? (musical instrument content inside)
  • Sonor
    Free Member

I’m curious as to what musical instruments the STW crowd plays or has played, classical instruments included, and what instrument would you like to learn to play next?

I shall start with these(some may say you’re not a musician if you play the drums)

Drums

Haven’t played for a while, might be learning guitar next.

Joxster
    Free Member

Spoons

Used to play Piano, Violin and Flute

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Drums & Piano, oh, and played the Tuba when I was at school..

momo

Another drummer here

rOcKeTdOg

geetar after a fashion

xherbivorex
    Free Member

1996 gibson SG special
    1973 marshall mkII plexi 50w

metalheart
    Free Member

but not all at the same time (or very well if being truthful…)

IdleJon

Guitar, but not regularly for a while.

RustySpanner

E-flat Horn & French Horn passably.

One of these, very, very badly,

through one of these.

Tone? I has it 😀

chela
    Free Member

Gibson SJ-200.(It’s a guitar, for those that aren’t geeks)

Also play keyboards/synth in a very bad mostly uni-fingered way. And bass guitar, and anything I can rattle and make a percussive noise with for my amazing ‘songs’.

guitarhero
    Free Member

can you guess?
    Played guitar for 24 years.
    Been a guitar teacher for 5 years and prior to that played professionally in a band for 7 years.

Spaceman
    Free Member

Some may not call it an instrument but I play the Bagpipes.

timdrayton
    Free Member

guitars mainly accoustic though have dabbled with leccies.. 6 and 12 string. Also trumpet cornet and flugel horn although not for awhile

Sonor
    Free Member

but I play the Bagpipes.

Burn him! 😉

eth3er
    Free Member

Alto saxophone. Lungs like pillowcases me.

Lets start a Band. A ride while you play type band. That’ll be a challenge and unique.

johnhoo
    Free Member

another drummer here:

but I am dabbling with guitar too. 4, 6 & 12 string electric

willej

I’m another guitarist/singer!

julianwilson
    Free Member

19 years of guitar here too, plus violin and harmonica (if that counts!)
    If I may stick my head over the musical parapet a bit further, I also have a rather excellent falsetto, which seems to disappear after 3 pints. I am sure there is a science reason for that, or just nature’s way of protecting me from the consequences of drunkenly singing Prince songs at folk.

leeson
    Free Member

I play my pink picalo loads 🙂

wilma
    Free Member

Guess what..another guitarist here too! Been playing for 10 years now (started when i was 9) Started off on the electric, played flamenco for a few years and got very hooked, now I’m playing a bit of everything 🙂
    This year I became the lead guitarist in THE med school bluesy band “The Tumbling Dice” 😉
    (Here’s a pic of me complete with vicaresque shoulder strap!)

Oh and here’s a pic of the guitar I made for my GCSE tech project:

Weighs as much as a small child but somehow sounds pretty good. Doesn’t look anything great but I was 15/16 and i’d never used a router before! ( i didn’t make the neck btw!)

RustySpanner

Lets start a Band. A ride while you play type band. That’ll be a challenge and unique.

I can just see the headlines now:
    “Cyclist arrested for blowing his own horn, another caught fiddling”.

Sorry for the life-size images BTW.

Trampus
    Free Member

Looks cool, does it balance well?

Weight gives sustain, better pickup angles tone.

Good loking effort all round! 🙂

NZCol

Drummer here as well.

wilma
    Free Member

Trampus:
    I made it out of an old science bench, I had to scrape the chewing gum off first though! It’s iroko apparently, it was so dense that the friction it developed with the router developed so much heat that it would burn the wood if i wasn’t quick enough!
    The sustain is good, I must get it over to uni and have a go with it really loud 🙂
    Weight-wise it’s noticeably heavier than an old Les Paul which gives me neck ache after a while..I took it to my local guitar shop after i’d finished so that someone could have a look at the electrics(i couldnt get the last position on the switch to work) When i picked it up later that week it had “Caution Heavy!” sign stuck on it which was quite embarrassing!

I think i got lucky with the good tone, it was a bit ‘hit and miss’, using tech benches full of odd nails etc and having to stay in at lunchtimes for weeks on end with a soldering iron…still at least i came out with something worthwhile in the end!
    Oh and to get the shape; i drew round as many guitars as i could find on the same sheet of paper and tried to ‘mash’ then all together, and that’s what came out! 🙂

johnhoo
    Free Member

any bassists here? in travelling distance of Leeds? long shot I know…

Trampus
    Free Member

😯 @ wilma! Job well done!

Travis

Flute, Clarinet and Cornet, later onto Trumpet and also played E flat Soprano as well for a few years.

Would like to play Guitar and Piano

blu-tone
    Free Member

Acoustic guitar. A 30 year old Yamaha F365S.

And a bit of blues harp after a few beers.

When I say “I can play them” I mean that in a VERY liberal sense. Victims may disagree.

roper
    Free Member

I’m a Castrato singer.

joemarshall
    Free Member

I used to be quite good at trumpet playing, although I haven’t really played since I lived in the one bedroom flat in London – it isn’t a very easy to practice instrument when you have 3 neighbours with adjoining walls to hear it, and there’s only so much you want to play with a mute in.

I play piano, which I’m quite good at (classical and chords/vocal line accompaniment stuff). Penny whistle, which I am passable at playing folk tunes on, Ukulele, which I can play chords on, the tetris tune, and a few other little tunes. I also have a chinese flute, an ocarina, an end blown flute that I think is an Andean Quena, I can play Irish folk tunes on those as long as they are not too wide a range.

Oh and I own a violin, which I can play twinkle twinkle little star on and not much else.

Oh and I’ve been known to sing, although not in public for years.

Joe

nbt

I hit things, but I haven;t had anything to hit for a few years. I’m thinking about buying some more things to hit, but I’m not sure where I’d put them.

stratobiker
    Free Member

Hey you talented lot!

Please join in with my attempt to get an STW musos collaboration thing goin’ here.

SB 🙂

grumm
    Free Member

Play guitar and bass reasonably well, plus keyboards fairly badly. Some might not consider it an instrument but I am quite into scratch DJing/turntablism type stuff as well.

I organise/deliver music education workshops and sessions etc for a job.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

Euphonium

😀

3 times finalist and 2 times winner of National Festival of Music for Youth with various bands

no such thing as a professional Brass Band so I couldn’t make a career of it. Going to start playing again soon.

uglybassplayer

Clue is in the name… although i can bluff my way through a simple set on drums or guitar and used to play piano and the fiddle.

If im not needed in the band i could be sound or lighting engineer?

Sorry Johnhoo i’m based in Exeter, not really close to leeds!

aslongasithaswheels
    Free Member

one of these

through these

but want these

now bring me the lottery numbers for saturday

aslongasithaswheels
    Free Member

woops, i meant to post one of these

pault41
    Free Member

Have played sax (alto) n tried the Bagpipes but me bag was split unknown to me,had a puncture .
    mouth organ too.

loads of string pluckers out there then !!

simonralli2
    Free Member

I miss my band! Right now it’s just me and my friend Lucy when we manage to meet up and do something.

I put together a loose collective and we had an amazing dance troupe as well – it’s hard to explain, but we just rocked something silly when it all came together

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Weighs as much as a small child but somehow sounds pretty good. Doesn’t look anything great but I was 15/16 and i’d never used a router before! ( i didn’t make the neck btw!)

That’s bloody lovely! ‘Doesn’t look anything great’? Shut up, that looks fantastic! I’ll have it, if you don’t want it.

roper – Member

I’m a Castrato singer.

Bollocks you are! 😆

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘Who plays what? (musical instrument content inside)’ is closed to new replies.