Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)
  • Who has the most obscure mountain Bike?
  • uwe-r
    Free Member

As above – Who has the most obscure Bike?

Not including retro or quirky niche bikes – I mean something modern with 26” wheels geared and intended as a regular: trail / xc / all mountain bike.

allthegear
    Free Member

Me.

uwe-r
    Free Member

What is it then – there is a prize.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I was in the middle of building up my old Coyote F2 with it’s nice carbon swingarm. Most of these have been binned when the shock failed as no-one could imagine being able to repair them it seems, but it’s not hard in reality. Instead I think I’m going to turn it into a ski-bike for the winter as I have too many normal bikes.

donsimon
    Free Member

Orbea Alma, not seen another one in the UK yet. I don’t expect it to be too rare though.

ton

my new one will be a contender when it lands……..if it lands 😐

Nicknoxx
    Free Member

Who has the most obscure Bike?

But you’ve excluded retro bikes, quirky bikes, niche bikes, clown bikes, 650b, hybrids, singlespeed, fixies, DH, race whippets – what’s left for your average STWer?

falkirk-mark

Graeme Obree

How long does the battery last in that Ton?

ton

battery is estimated to last between 25 and 45 miles.
    the bosch system has loads more torque for climbing, whereas the panasonic system on the kalkhoff i had was more suited to higher milage on the road.

mrjmt
    Free Member

My Kona Dawg Supreme is pretty obscure on here. Its not made by a bearded bloke in a shed (in taiwan), it has normal wheels, suspension and gears. Probably a one of a kind on here. 😆

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

My Fleet’s pretty ‘obscure’. Haven’t seen another one ever!

003 by jimmyg352, on Flickr

It’s got a shorter stem now.

klumpy
    Free Member

I’ve never seen another Kona Five-0 when out riding.
    (Which is odd as it’s the best mountain bike ever made.)

Coyote
    Free Member

Never seen another Coyote Dual out on the trails. Shame really as it is a pretty good bike that has survived several other stablemates.

TiRed

Me.
    Modern [X]
    26” wheels [No, 20″]
    geared [X]
    intended as a regular MTB [X]

Welcome to Airnimal Rhino land… Why the wheel size fixation?

ononeorange

I have an Orange 5 – does that win?

globalti
    Free Member

Global TH1.5 Ti frame with original Hope minis on original Hope hubs, flat bars, Global Ti stem, superb little Suntour XC Pro thumbshifters and a rigid carbon eXotic fork. Weighs nothing and goes like the clappers especially when I fit my 1.6 Kona Crossroads tyres.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I’ve a Kona A, which although rare, it isn’t obscure.

It is belt-drive though, which is.

qwerty
    Free Member

There was an obscure guy @ the Bristol handmade bike show trying to revive elevated chainstays on a 29er in Ti IIRC, that’s pretty wacky!!!

qwerty
    Free Member
    gnusmas

@Coyote: i know what you mean, still wish i had my dual (still got the mech hanger for it though)

Would a Coyote HT5 be a contender? I still got mine. Excellent bike.

aazlad
    Free Member

null[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/aazlad/7486482490/in/photostream/][/url]

Sorry Flikr wont let me link directly to the image.

It’s a Jamis Dakota Elite 2008 – lovely bike to ride. The frame is aluminium with carbon seatstays which absorb vibration nicely but keep it stiff. It’s still serving me well after 4 years of abuse and I rode Mountain Mayhem on it last weekend.

I bought it before the days Evans began stocking the low-end Jamis bikes. I got it from my (at that time) LBS which was Buy a Bike in Charnock Richard. No idea where he sourced them from as he was the only Jamis stockist in the UK at that time. He had a few mountain bikes and road bikes which were all very well kitted out for reasonable price.

I have since bought a much more expensive full susser which I ride on a weekly basis but I can’t help love this bike more than any other I own – partly because it’s pretty unique in the UK.

uwe-r
    Free Member

No reason for the 26” wheel fetish, if you think your bigger or smaller wheel sized bike is worthy of note lets hear it.

For reference this thread was inspired by a test in the current What Mountain Bike Magazine of some obscure Scandinavian made Carbon 26” HT race whippet, tested well and looked awesome but I can’t remember the name of it and will probably never see one in the flesh. Anyone got a link to that bike?

Northwind

I’d be astonished if anyone else on here has a Carrera Krakatoa :mrgreen: Proper niche.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

i’ve got a solitude… 26″, geared (at the mo), 120mm ht.

they stopped getting built around 5 yrs ago iirc.

EDIT – 5 years almost to the month

VanMan
    Free Member

I’ve got an uncracked 2008 Commencal Meta 55, which is apparently quite rare

uwe-r
    Free Member

It was this one that. I dont think you will see many.

http://www.velocite-bikes.com/velocite-flux-1.0.html

bhindeu
    Free Member

I have that Global TH1.5 9 years old hope mono minis hope hubs. They ain’t that fast through the twisty stuff!

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Northwind

Hah. I was about to sarcastically post that I have a Carrera, then I quickly checked the thread to make sure nobody else had, then I saw some dick had got in before me. And that dick was me.

uwe-r
    Free Member

That fence needs some attention!

uwe-r
    Free Member

Double post.

rbrstr
    Free Member

I win this thread hands down, there is only 1 of these in the whole world.

bencooper
    Free Member

My general-use MTB is probably quite unusual:

ajantom

Global Ti softail which used to look like this:

and now looks like this:

nedrapier

still essel.

mkidley
    Free Member

Giant Yukon Trail 2007, sprayed a different colour, and the drivetrain replaced with SLX/XT just still with garbage forks, you’ll never see another one like this, then again I’ve never ever come across another stock Yukon Trail in the past 2 years!

mkidley
    Free Member

Sorry, double post…

dekadanse
    Free Member

Setavento Ti hardtail – I’ve never seen another.
    Bloody lovely to ride though.

sparkyrhino

As a mainstream product, i have a Sunn Season hardtail,never seen another out and about.love it

DezB
    Free Member

Principia Mac B ?

(It was geared in the 90s.)

Is now hanging on the garage wall. Dead.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)

The topic ‘Who has the most obscure mountain Bike?’ is closed to new replies.