Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 84 total)
  • Who has the longest commute on a bike???
  • daveagiles
    Free Member

Just interested to know how far you guys/girls are going?

I do about 52km to uni and back… cant wait till I get a car, cheep though 🙂

AndyP
    Free Member

27km each way usually, 14km each way short version available if I feel lazy 😉

bereavementmonkey
    Free Member

well….. It takes me about 15 mins to walk in (downhill) and about 20 mins to walk home (uphill).

Not quite as impressive as you 2 gluttens for punishment!

Marge
    Free Member

I do about 52km to uni and back… cant wait till I get a car, cheep though

I am guessing you mean by bike?
    That's a good distance.
    How long does that take you?

oldgit
    Free Member

My last commute was 37 each way miles, Leighton Buzzard to Staples corner North London. On my trusty Birds of Colindale 531c.
    I was a lot younger then.

daveagiles
    Free Member

Ah yeah on my bike :-). Takes about 50min if the wind is in the right direction!

Bagstard
    Free Member

Mine is 13.5 miles each way, but I only do it a couple of times a week

miketually
    Free Member

My dad works with a guy who does 32 miles a day, every day. he then does massive Audax rides on the weekends.

DezB
    Free Member

I don't know what mine is in km, but I guess it would make it sound longer if I worked it out eh?

(32 miles (52km) not to be sniffed at though!)

neil853
    Free Member

i've just started doing 12.5 miles each way. reckon it'll take me a few weeks to do it every day, doing it 3 times a week at the moment

daveagiles
    Free Member

I guess I should have made allowances for the fact most of you are old and converted it into miles then….

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

Back in the eighties I was commuting 25 miles each way between Winchester and Newbury, usually doing it between 1 and 4 times a week by bike. I ran home once but that was just plain stupid.

DezB
    Free Member

daveagiles – Member
    I guess I should have made allowances for the fact most of you are old and converted it into miles then….

Yes! 🙂

monkeychild
    Free Member

15 miles each way for meeeeeee. Do I score extra points for doing it on a fixie????

AndyP
    Free Member

meh…oldies should get themselves up to date. it's the 21st century. Nobody measures in chains and cubits any more:)

oldgit
    Free Member

74 miles up and down the A41 everyday with just Wonder Lights….shudder.

samuri
    Free Member

Currently it's about 15 miles each way but I start a new job in January and I'm estimating it'll be about, wait for it…. 40 miles, each way!

And I'm right up for it. I'll be making as much of it offroad as I can too. (although I doubt there will be an awful lot)

So I win.

AndyP
    Free Member

With your habit of destroying stuff, aren't you going to have to take a whole bikeshop-worth of spares with you for an 80 mile round trip? Mind you, public sector and all that, who cares if you're late… 😉

DezB
    Free Member

What time do you have to get up to ride 40 miles to work??

DezB
    Free Member

Serious question – how do your legs recover for the journey home after a big commute like that? I've been doing mine for years and it's always a struggle to stand after my legs have been stagnating under the desk all day! Is it cos I don't do it enough? (3 times a week)

fasthaggis

32 miles ( every day in the summer ) 3 days a week just now ( road bike ).
    Going to add on an extra forest section over the winter ,so I am looking at getting the spare mountain bike kitted out with some semi slicks.

daveagiles
    Free Member

I feel screwed by friday and I do half that.

It bad enough leaving an hour befor I start, 40 miles, thats going to be a few, especialy off road!

crazy-legs

17.5 miles each way on a roadie SS. About 50-55 mins in, 60-65 mins home (all uphill!)
    There is an off-road route which is about the same distance but takes much longer (at least 90 mins) and also uses a lot of canal towpath which is just a horrendous gritty mudbath at this time of year.

I usually ride 4 days a week and on Wednesdays I drive in and do an hour or so on the track before work. 🙂

woffle
    Free Member

between 15 and 30 miles each way depending on how much time I've got (I did some 40-50 mile routes over the summer but none since Nov). Takes me between 48 minutes and a couple of hours each way – varies a lot between routes / energy levels / effort etc.

usually do 4 days a week but sometimes 5.

oh, and all on my trusty airnimal joey. Can't do a non-folding bikes due to the train company rules 🙁

Travis

my minimum commute is 76km per day, but hopefully my new placement will take it up to 98km per day. (only want the placement because of the extra distance)

I'm riding it all on my Trek T1 track bike this winter 😀

sofatester
    Free Member

my minimum commute is 76km per day

How many miles (KM if your soft) do you have to ride each day to become a "premier member"? 😉

dickydutch

32miles in 50 minutes?! That's a hell of a pace…..

cynic-al
    Free Member

You guys doing 20m+ each way:

are you doing it every day?
    do you have demanding/tiring jobs/personal lives?
    are you under 30?
    are you tired ALL the time? 😉

finbar
    Free Member

Daveagiles, 32 miles in 50 minutes is 38.4 miles an hour average speed. I call bullshit, unless you've got a sail on your bike or something.

The fastest every 25 mile time trial (according to a quick Google search anyway, the record might have been broken since) was set by

1. Chris Boardman – 45.57 on 29th May 1993 – Course: H25/13 Average Speed = 32.644mph

AndyP
    Free Member

Daveagiles, 32 miles in 50 minutes is 38.4 miles an hour average speed. I call bullshit, unless you've got a sail.
    I suspect the OP meant a round trip of 52km… 😉

David McCann holds the 25 record btw…45:54

Saccades
    Free Member

Your reading it wrong – half your maths, he's doing 19mph.

I do 16 miles on a SS from the coast up some right barsteward hills, for this reason I'm getting an alfine hub to speed up the 65mins in, 55 mins home.

finbar
    Free Member

I suspect the OP meant a round trip of 52km…

Ah, that would make more sense – sorry about that. Feel better about my 30 mile (one way) commute taking 1h45m now. In my defence it does go over the Pennines.

cookeaa

Are we all using Km to make us sound more butch than we really are?

Mine is 32.3 going in and 33.6 coming back (slightly longer coming back as there’s a big bastard climb or a 1Km longer but gentler climb right at the end I tend to take the gentler climb to save my legs.

So a round trip of 65.9Km (40.95 Miles) but to be honest if I do it 3 times in one week I’m doing very well, this time of year once a week is OK, and twice is good going.
    The trouble with having a longer commute is it means I can’t guarantee I’ll be home in time for important stuff (a Flat can cost a me a lot of time), plus now I have a nipper there’s less tolerance in the day for missed deadlines, so it probably only works out to an average of 15Km per day tops at the minute…

To be honest I prefer a good 2-3Hr MTB night ride instead this time of year to, dealing with wet, dark country lanes and enthusiastic drivers, so the Carbon foot print gets worse not better with me more driving (Oh the Irony)…

dickydutch

I thought there was a budding Boardman in the house!
    My commute is 17 miles each way. Takes around 50 minutes because of traffic lights etc. Do it 4 days a week – Fridays off so to be fresh for Saturday's ride!

crazy-legs

I used to do a really lovely 24 mile each way but that was only 1 or 2 days a week (part time work at another site). Beautiful ride both by road and CX, I really looked forward to it. Different route out and back as well.

Used to set off from home about 8am, get there by 9.15 and go to Nero for coffee, croissant and a read of the papers before work started at 10am. Often got free coffee in Nero as well. 🙂

BigDummy
    Free Member

22 mile round trip. That's 176 Furlongs. 😉

ctznsmith
    Free Member

This thread is making my possible future 25mile each way commute 2/3 times a week seem much more feasible!.

I reckon 1hr20 door to door with bike->train->bike so 1hr40 or 1hr50 just on the bike with no stress of having to cram on a train might be worth it! 🙂

daveagiles
    Free Member

Ha ha , 52km total, so 100 min both ways my mistake, if only I could do both ways in 50min…

woffle
    Free Member

are you under 30?
    are you tired ALL the time?

just short of 20 miles each way averaged in Nov and Dec so far.

4 or 5 days a week.
    Yes – two kids under 5 and my job is pretty full on at times.
    No – 33.
    No! Just try and eat well and be sensible about listening to when things get sore and then easing of the pace and lessen the distance. In bed around 10pm, up at 4am. Been doing it for 18 months now and a lot fitter, thinner (and happier) than I was when I started…

cookeaa

cynic-al – Member
    are you under 30?
    are you tired ALL the time?

My commute is 20 miles each way….
    I am 30 (since October), I do it 3 times a week Max more likely twice, My job is mostly Desk bound, so I can have a fair old rest during the day, and we have showers at work.
    My social/personally life is no more demanding than anyone elses, however I also have a 5 month old Daughter who’s decided sleep is Unfashionable for the minute so Yes I’m always tired… but that has nothing to do with cycling…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 84 total)

The topic ‘Who has the longest commute on a bike???’ is closed to new replies.