Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Who do I join, British Cycling or CTC ?
  • trailofdestruction
    Free Member

About to start commuting back to work on the bike again, but want to join an organisation that will be able to provide some sort of support should the worst happen

http://road.cc/content/blog/34793-be-realistic-ask-impossible-scale-1-10-how-much-does-it-hurt-now

Not trying to be pessimistic, more about having a contingency plan.

Any opinions about which would be better ? Has any one had experience of the legal services provided by either one ?

Thank you.

headfirst
    Free Member

CTC.

My step-dad had occasion to use their legal services and was happy with the outcome. PLus they’re an all-round good bunch.

BC would be a better bet if you’re looking to compete at any level.

mrmo
    Free Member

commuting CTC, racing British Cycling.

Topov
    Free Member

Agree with headfirst, CTC. I joined BC just for the race licence.

crazy-legs

BC have a Membership specifically set up for non-racey types:
    http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/membership/article/ride-membership

doodlebug
    Free Member

CTC
    Got knocked off bike and the service i had from the CTC solicitors was fantastic and 1st class

cp

They both provide legal services, and the ‘ride’ membership for BC is a lot cheaper than CTC’s.

It would come down more for me as to whether I was supporting an organisation who’s main ethos is to support racing, or whether to support an organisation which works for access issues etc…

AngusWells

CTC. Once you can get past the rather archaic views of some (not all) of the longer term, senior members who believe the Sturmey Archer 3 speed to be the furthest that technology should have been allowed to advance, it offers good support for all types of riding. There’s a pretty good mag (Cycle) that publishes some letters from the aforementioned members. Every couple of months my wife questions why I am sitting on the bog shouting at a magazine.

Notwithstanding that, I think it campaigns for the right things, is well respected as a loby group and supports a broad church, including off road access rights.

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

Good point cp. BC is much cheaper, but I do feel strongly about access issues, especially living in Lancashire, which is rubbish for trail access.

mustard
    Free Member

I know what you mean, I felt more paranoid commuting when I had to wait a month to renew my BC membership in order to get a 2012 licence with it.

Can’t answer your question about using it but just to say you can get Ride membership of BC that has the benefits of Silver membership but without the racing bit so cheaper.

Looks like I would make more use of the CTC discounts than I do the BC though. Wiggle 12% discount through BC sounds great, but It’s actually 12% off rrp, so often you aren’t saving anything over the standard Wiggle price.

Presumably the OP has already looked, but links to appropriate pages for anyone wanting to compare benefits
    CTC
    BC

Are you a member of a club? I know some clubs have membership of CTC which covers their non-racing members.

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

Not a club member, but we do have a BUG at work, so I don’t know if that qualifies me for any membership discounts for either one. I shall enquire.

trb
    Free Member

CTC. Although I’ve never had to call on their legal team for help.

They are the biggest and most cohesive group campagning for cycling in general and so you should back them.

I found that their “Cycle” magazine was getting read on the day it arrived and Singletrack was taking a couple of weeks to read so I ended up cancelling my singletrack subscription. I quite enjoy reading about the other arms of cycling and bikes that aren’t mtbs and also find the odd letter from the old blokes complaining about new fangled 7 speed derailliers quite amusing.

Hooter
    Free Member

I’m in the CTC and would recommend them. The mag is a a good read, and they have good ideas and intentions for promoting cycling to the public at large.

Junkyard
    Free Member

i opted against CTC as their viow on helmet use is very similiar to TJ’s and I did not agree with much of what they said tbh in many cycling related issues. I did not want them to speak on my behalf sii do not give them my money

BC are less political in that sense and iirc cheaper if you forgo the race licence.

rootes1

I joined the LCC and CTC –

CTC mag is terrible and I do not agree with the way they campaign so will not renew my membership this year.

Their technical guys is a ‘Qualified Engineer’ but in what is unclear…

Also some of the letters – jesus wept… chain rotation… 🙄

LCC is in the same vain as the CTC but has a better outlook on things.

BC as above can be cheaper..

and also if you just want the 3rd party cover and can ignore the stuff that goes with each then just get the cheapest deal

rootes1

Not a club member, but we do have a BUG at work, so I don’t know if that qualifies me for any membership discounts for either one. I shall enquire.

You can join the BUG to the CTC and all bug members get 3rd party cover for a reduce rate, but you only get one mag to share.

TiRed

LCC and CTC member. LCC because I get a corporate discount and live just outside London. CTC because the family membership covers the kids riding to school. I don’t race (well not officially, just on my commute 😉 )

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

Hmmm …Junkyard. That’s a good point, I’ll have to have a look at their policies about helmets. Again, something I feel strongly about. Sorry teej 😆

Don’t want to join an organisation who I feel don’t really represent my views, even if I’m only joining for the legal cover side of things.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

CTC for me:

They are the biggest and most cohesive group campagning for cycling in general and so you should back them.

This really.

Interesting to see a couple of people above disagreeing with their helmet stance, from the helmet threads I never get the sense that anyone is actually for compulsion- or is it not as simple as that?

druidh
    Free Member

I was thinking of joining CTC but I disagree with some of their politics. Mind you, they have a cheaper membership for the “unwaged”. Do you think that includes the retired?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Who do I join, British Cycling or CTC ?’ is closed to new replies.