Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Whinlatter north v south
  • rivirider
    Free Member

rode the trails at whinlatter at the weekend, theres some great riding to be done and great views.

which side do you like the best? norht v south and which parts,

lets see your pics too.

radoggair
    Free Member

defo the north, great climbing followed by the great switchbacks. Felt the south was good but suprisingly slippy compared to the north. Tyres didn’t hold to well.

lowey

Equally hateful. Sorry.

Lesanita2
    Free Member

why choose? both different. I love both.
    South more bermy and open, North tighter and more in the trees.

Its unlikely that you’ll have time to just do just one side. Do both, decide for yourselves.

Is lowey’s comment a good example of a “snark” – new book out this week. Why don’t you like it marra? hateful is a bit strong.

2hottie
    Free Member

Agree with lowey, I was bored all the way round. Shame as it has loads of potential to be great imo It was badly surfaced when I went as the track had turned in to mush so ruined the whole point of a trail centre. An the bike wash is a rip off!

djglover
    Free Member

Wonder why Lowey rode them both, he should have stayed in and watched hollyoaks whilst he cried and w@nked into a sock?

squiff
    Free Member

There both a bit short, but I do prefer the south, only cause I like climbing and theres more of it 🙂

grumm
    Free Member

I prefer the south loop but both are quite good imo. Makes a nice contrast to the natural riding in the Lakes. If you park in Thornthwaite you can add on a nice little singletrack bridleway descent at the end too.

BTW the surface was much better the last time I rode it than when I went soon after it opened. Seemed to have bedded in well and was really grippy, even in the wet.

crotchrocket
    Free Member

I only had time to ride the north while family did the go ape thing.
    I wouldn’t drive up from london to do it again. IMHO it’s a taster to get ‘proper’ MTBers on to the natural stuff in the lakes which is WAAAAY better.

(my 2p)

grumm
    Free Member

I wouldn’t drive up from london to do it again.

Why on earth would you drive up from London to ride a 10k loop anyway? Is riding down south really that bad? 😉

I ride the natural stuff in the Lakes all the time and that’s probably my preferred option, but I sill enjoy a quick blast of jumpy fun at Whinlatter sometimes.

stoney
    Free Member

We did our local loop tonight… Only did the North and a little extra on top but it` was a lot of fun, in the soaking wet…. and was more grippy than normal….(cause it was washed clean).

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Equally hateful. Sorry.

Dave you tart! Do you mean when icy?? I’m looking forward to adding on Grisedale Pike to the south loop, with a 400m + downhill :o)

I still say the Tour of Skidder or Borrowdale Bash are better, but there’s a demand for Whinlatter too and I’m content to serve that.

lowey

Hmmm Grisedale Pike is now a popular cheeky summit these days, wonder if it has something to do with its proximity to Whinlatter.

I remember back in the mid 80’s, I did the whole Coledale horseshoe on my Townsend. The descent from Grisedale Pike was utterly sublime, though at the bottom, the tendons in my hands hurt so much from squeezing ineffective canti brakes I could barely drive home.

As for “Hateful”, sorry, it just really wasnt my cup of tea. In fairness, to get a balanced perspective, I will have to try it in summer, as when I went it was frozen solid and rammed full of people, never seen a trail so busy. However, from my first visit I cant really see mayself as returning. Keswick is 2hrs drive for me and there is just too much outstanding natural stuff in the area to waste the trip on Whinlatter. That and the fact that I much prefer an damn good thrashing session into a sock watching a third rate soap.

neil853
    Free Member

Definately south. I like the climb on the north loop and yes the swithch backs are good but the descent on the south is just fantastic, so fast!

its nice to be able to do a couple of loops, then have a coffee and a chat then do one or two more? I like it.

Have to say though did the MBR route around Garburn Pass and the really did get my appetite back for good natural riding, such a good loop that one. its easy to tell yourself that your having a good ride on natural stuff when in effect a lot of the riding is boring double track. but like i said that Garburn route is brill!

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

That and the fact that I much prefer an damn good thrashing session into a sock

I don’t see how your disgusting personal habits are relevant 🙁

Jimmer
    Free Member

I think it’s in reply do doglovers post 😉

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I think it’s in reply do doglovers post

ah, I missed that, sorry Dave! As for doglovers, well, let’s just not go there…

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Whinlatter north v south’ is closed to new replies.