Viewing 30 posts - 41 through 70 (of 70 total)
  • Which way do you swing?
  • neil853
    Free Member

It will always be mtb for me, riding the road bike is the best alternitive to get to work, but the road bike to me is a way to get fitter for my mtb riding.

Nothing compares (for me) to riding/rattling down twisty dry, dusty singletrack with the sound of your mates behind you 8)

konaboy2275
    Free Member

Where does commuting on road on a MTB fit in? That’s what I do the most mileage on. I think I’m defo mtb though and have been since owning my raleigh afterburner which was used for messing around in the woods. I have a commuter hybrid which I use through winter / heavy rain when I stick purely to tarmac but just prefer being able to nip through the woods and hop on and off the pavement on the mtb!

DezB
    Free Member

It’s all just riding bikes

No it’s not. Especially not if the question “Do you prefer road riding or MTBing” is being asked. 😕

MTB for me (as if you didn’t know).

Road riding is purely for commuting, so I don’t have to drive. It’s a pleasure compared to being in the car, but not to being on the dirt!

clubber
    Free Member

It is all riding bikes and I haven’t found bikes that I don’t like riding yet. If push came to shove and I really had to choose I’ll always be an mtber at heart so that’s what I’d choose but I’d really miss the road. Luckily I don’t have to choose so never will.

Trailseeker
    Free Member

It’s all just riding bikes

No its not, I only ride MTBs I’ve never riden a road bike & have no interest in doing so.
    As said above, why people keep on starting road threads on here & not on a road forum seems stupid.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

I enjoy riding all kinds of bikes, but I love riding mountainbikes, so I’d define myself as a mountainbiker, even though I only ride it once or twice a week, compared to 4 or 5 times a week for the commuter or the roadie.

I’ve never come back from a commute or a road ride with the feeling that if I dropped dead that instant, I’d die a happy man. There have been plenty of times that’s happened after a mtb ride – sitting there with a cup of tea or a cold beer just utterly at peace with myself and the world.

Milkie
    Free Member

MTB & annoying the Roadies on my commute on my MTB 😆

clubber
    Free Member

why people keep on starting road threads on here & not on a road forum seems stupid.

Because plenty of us, luckily, aren’t as narrow minded as you and don’t want to miss out. HTH.

I’d consider it a forum for mountainbikers rather than mountain bikes, anyway.

garage-dweller

MTB gives me the most excitement (on a bike at any rate) and it’s the bit of the sport where I’d chuck most money at bikes and parts but I love to ride pretty much anything.

The most pleasure comes from putting mini-dweller (almost 2) in his rack mounted seat and taking him out somewhere for a family day out. He is the next generation!

garage-dweller

Clubber

Well said (and far more diplomatically than I would have done)

TatWink
    Free Member

Mtb for me. Love getting closer to nature.

Enjoy road riding for the fitness aspect and its quite something spinning away on a smooth piece of tarmac at 25 mph but I never feel safe on my own and no longer have the time to go out with my local club (Redhill CC) where its much safer in a group.

I do still dabble by changing the tyres on my cross bike but off road is my preferred.

Its all riding and its all good!!

stevede
    Free Member

Mtb for me however all the recent roadie topics have been observed closely as i pick my Giant Defy up next week ready to start training for JOGLE in August. Haven’t been on a road bike apart from the quick test ride last week for 20 years, the shifters took some finding as they were missing from the downtube!

DaRC_L

MTB – started off MTB’ing then went on road for commuting
    Worked with a bunch of roadies who developed my love of pro road racing.
    Then did a couple of sportives, so quite like road biking.

Used to ride with loads of mates but we’ve gone all niche – I tend to favour longer XC rides with technical bits, others like fast’n’furious trail centre style rides or less technical XC loops.

Easily summed up by which is my bestest most expensive bike = MTB

molgrips
    Free Member

I only roadie for training purposes and transport. 25mph on smooth tarmac doesn’t count as quick, it’s the same road I’d be doing at twice the speed in a car. And CX is just stupid*.

MTBer through and through 🙂

* I am being deliberately non-diplomatic here

Put it this way. If you had a commute that was either 15 miles quiet country roads with smooth tarmac, or 6 miles of sweet permanently dry singletrack, which would you take?

nedrapier

mtb for almost exactly 18 years. Birthday on Sunday – I got a Peugeot Tim Gould “replica” for my 14th birthday.

I’ve been riding a mates spesh allez to work for the past 6 months. nice and quick, but awful roads and loads of traffic. Building a road/cx/toury type thing and I’m really loking forward to some proper road rides sometime soon: sunny, country roads, less traffic (and traffic lights) lots of miles and a bike that fits! I reckon there’s a great chance I’ll enjoy it.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Put it this way. If you had a commute that was either 15 miles quiet country roads with smooth tarmac, or 6 miles of sweet permanently dry singletrack, which would you take?

The car. Obviously.

ourmaninthenorth

Road, predominantly.

MTB got me back into riding bikes after a few distracted years, but road has been where I’ve spent the last 5 years pretty much.

I’m looking forward to getting a trailer for Baby North and taking her and Mrs North along the nearby canal this summer once we’ve moved house.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

MTB (mostly)
    Roadie (used to commute on it, now use a tourer for that, so only on Sundays)
    Tourer (for commuting and the pub)
    Fakenger (for a ‘different’ roadie experience)
    BMX (very rarely have the time/inclination to bother anymore)

yunki
    Free Member

MTB.. if my commute was furthur than to the bottom of the stairs I would probably do that by bike too..
    road riding for pleasure is something that I cannot understand..

Alex

No it’s not. Especially not if the question “Do you prefer road riding or MTBing” is being asked.

MTB for me (as if you didn’t know).

Road riding is purely for commuting, so I don’t have to drive. It’s a pleasure compared to being in the car, but not to being on the dirt!

That’s pretty much my view too. Although I’ve started swapping the odd Sunday morning MTB ride for Road. It’s fun, but I’m sure I’ll get bored of it.

Also what JonE said. Riding is always better than not riding. But riding MTBs is the only one that gives you “that feeling”.

phutphutend

Surely we all sit on a scale going from pedalling/fitness/endorphins one end and skills/adrenaline the other. Road/Track riding and race XC being at one end, DH/BMX at the other.

I suppose, what is you drug of choice should be the question; Endorphins or Adrenaline?

Personally I like to mix my drugs!

molgrips
    Free Member

Track riding is DEFINITELY not short of adrenaline! Holy cow.. just about the biggest thrill I’ve had on a bike and it was only a club fun night!

xiphon
    Free Member

+1 on whoever said “I’m a cyclist”.

DH, BMX, Road, XC/AM (or whatever the buzz word is now), DJ… and unicycling!

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Started MTBing first, then after a couple of years got a road bike and went a bit more into “darkside” for a while, not cycling much at all currently sadly, so sit with a general description of “cyclist”.
    Been to look at Cycle to Work scheme bikes today so will hopefully add a commute into my working week on a regular basis.

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

So this isn’t a golf thread then?

DezB
    Free Member

I’m an idiot.

DWH
    Free Member

Are all the people who “hate road bikes” or “would never ride on the road” the same lardy fat-arses I see driving to trail centres?

Surfr
    Free Member

Mostly road these days. I keep an MTB singlespeed for local events like the Dyfi but I seem unable to find the time to fit social MTB rides in at the moment. Racing on the road twice most weekends and next week the time trials and chaingangs start in the evenings. CX through winter and I’ll be at HONC in a few weeks time.

Kit
    Free Member

Are all the people who “hate road bikes” or “would never ride on the road” the same lardy fat-arses I see driving to trail centres?

No. I’m as skinny as they come and I generally hate being on the road. There’s nothing to like about it round here (in my opinion).

cheers_drive

About 70% road, 30% MTB in the winter. That flips road for summer and the Autumn / Spring are 50/50.

I just like riding bikes

Viewing 30 posts - 41 through 70 (of 70 total)

The topic ‘Which way do you swing?’ is closed to new replies.