• This topic has 16 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by JxL.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • "Which tubeless singlespeed wheels"
  • plus-one

Hi all..looking for lightweight handbuilt tubeless singlespeed wheels..maybe £250ish to spend..what do you recommend..? have set of xtr wheels which i would dearly love to use but without bolted rear wheel i would need spacer kit/chain tugs/halo skewers and even then maybe not guaranteed to not slip..can i convert my xtr hub..? any ideas info appreciated..

cheers..

🙂

Hadge
    Free Member

Check out what Goldtec have on their site – I'm sure you will find something there for you.

JxL
    Free Member

I have an XTR hub on ZTR Olympic rims, Racing Ralph with stans tubeless milk. converted the hub using Velosolo spacers and a wide/thick rear cog (sorry the name escapes me), no slipping/problems so far!

specializedneeds

Hope bolt up Pro II single speed hub, has bolts that screw in to the axle rather than a skewer and a shorter freewheel so less spacers/stronger wheel.

or

Standard Pro II with 10mm bolt through conversion and use a 10mm skewer/saint axle, should be able to get that nice and tight. That way you will be able to buy some hope hoops with tubeless Stans ZTR rims within budget. Wheelpro would probably send them with the rear axle already converted to 10mm through.

Edit: what wrong with a chain tug, tart! 🙂

specializedneeds
    plus-one

thanks for info guys..may just plump for spacer kit tug etc and give it a try..!

jxl does your frame have track ends too..? are you running with only skewer and no problems..?

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Stans Crest rims on American classic hubs from Jon @ Just Riding Along in Sheffield.

devs
    Free Member

I'm on Sun Ringle SOS rims with Deore 525 hubs. I think they came off my Kona Dawg Primo. They're ghetto'd and I'm really impressed with how they've fared wuth the whole SS tubeless thing. Buying new it's got to be Hope Pro2 SS with a Stan's offering like Flow.

tazzymtb

Goldtec built me some lovely single speed wheels worth checking them out.

saladdodger
    Free Member

WARNING WARNING WARNING aroooga aroooga

I have had a set of 717 rims with DT comp spokes on a DMR hub and a white industry freewheel used for years no issues but I wanted to upgrade

So 717 rims with DT comp spokes, hope s/s hub and a surly 17t sprocket

Nice eh ❓

But 30grams heavier than my old wheel FFS without rim strips, but they have now been ghettoed

specializedneeds

Should have gone for Stan's then 😉
    355 rims weigh 40g less than 717 plus no rim strip for tubeless conversion, so another 40g saved

plus-one

thanks folks..some good pointers..they crest rims in white would look good but kinda shoots holes in budget..will try out my wheelset first methinks before i start trawling for wheel/s…

cheers..

😀

specializedneeds

Just remembered: Velo Solo do solid axles for XT hubs that are sized long enough for nuts, might fit XTR….

EDIT:
    Velo Solo axle link

saladdodger
    Free Member

05-five – Member
    Should have gone for Stan's then
    355 rims weigh 40g less than 717 plus no rim strip for tubeless conversion, so another 40g saved

Ok just rub salt in the wounds yer swine 👿

But who would of thought that a hope s/s hub and surly cog weights more than a poverty DMR hub and a White Industries freewheel

specializedneeds

Sorry dude 🙂

To the OP:
    Check out Wheelpro.co.uk

saladdodger
    Free Member

No worries but I was a bit miffed

put it this way the money I blew on the back wheel would of provided me with 600 pints of homebrew beer

And I like beer 😀

JxL
    Free Member

jxl does your frame have track ends too..? are you running with only skewer and no problems..?

Oh that was an old picture while i was building it, it has vertical dropouts now with same QR skewers and a chain tug, works wonderfully 🙂

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘"Which tubeless singlespeed wheels"’ is closed to new replies.