Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 162 total)
  • Which things in the UK are just inherently better?
  • stilltortoise
    Free Member

Fish and chips
    Beer

thx1138
    Free Member

We’re bloody brilliant designers!! Look at the underground map. Copied by everyone. The concept was simple, but no-one had done it before. That the actual map didn’t need to pay any respect to actual geographical location for it to work. Inspired!

Bloody right there. The perfect example of combining ideas to inspire something truly remarkable and unique. Yes, that’s what we’re really good at. 🙂

binners

You’re in a perky mood this morning! Anyway… I think that all comes under the heading ‘world-weary resignation’, which we’re brilliant at.

I’d disagree with you though. Rather than mindlessly obeying the orders of our ruling elites, as you say, I think we’re very good at completely ignoring them and getting on with our lives. Some people regard this as apathy. I think its deliberate disengagement. A different thing entirely.

Anyway… the alternative is to end up like the French or Italians. All that shouting and wild gesticulating, while dumping horse manure on town hall steps. How frightfully uncouth 😉

thx1138
    Free Member

Rather than mindlessly obeying the orders of our ruling elites, as you say, I think we’re very good at completely ignoring them and getting on with our lives.

No, we just moan* about it a lot, yet do bugger all to change things, meekly accepting whatever our masters wish.

Some people regard this as apathy. I think its deliberate disengagement. A different thing entirely.

No you’re wrong. It’s still apathy. 😉

*We’re world leaders in moaning, surely? Wherever I’ve been in he world, the biggest moaners are always the Brits.

binners

We are indeed world class tutters and head shakers. I like the Aussie joke.

How can you tell when a flight has arrived from the UK?

The whining continues after the engines have stopped.

MSP

The Aussies are far better whiners than the Brits, they really have got it down to a non stop constant drone.

thx1138
    Free Member

I thought that was the digeridoos?

Ah, but you see; the British have got moaning down to a fine art; it’s like the delicate flick between gully and slip, to the agricultural smash it out of the ground. Less is more. We’re far more refined in our moaning.

wrecker
    Free Member

We’re not perfect by any stretch. No nation is untarnished.
    But I don’t feel apologetic for what other people have done and never will; it’s history, can’t be changed.

wordnumb
    Free Member

Digeridoos are extinct I thought. That’s something else the Brits are good at, extincting things.
    Extincting things and rewriting history.

binners

And creating countries by drawing a random line on a map. We’re good at that too 😆

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

@THX

A counter point to almost every part of your argument:

We import

– no we Exported loads, railways for example…education…parliment…medicine…democracy.

Resource Poor? – in modern times: Oil and gas, in olden times coal and industry. The Romans only came to Britain for the tin and copper.
    Our agriculture standards are amongst the highest in the world, the fact that we don’t appreciate them is a real shame.

Universities – it is still considered that we are amongst the best universities in the world, Oxford, Cambridge and Hull.

And in modern times our greatest export was the

mindless ability to obey our masters..

or Discipline you could call it the kind that won the second world war.

Oh and Kelly Brooks. 😀

richmtb

Queueing obviously

While we may moan a lot when it comes down to it – when the shit actually hits the fan – the British seem to deal with genuine adversity better than a lot of other nations*

*Except when it snows

thx1138
    Free Member

– no we Exported loads, railways for example…education…parliment…medicine…democracy.

We imported all those except for the railways, and then we needed to import lots of the resources needed to develop them.

Democracy? Are you joking? 😆 We’ve never had democracy!!

Resource Poor? Yes; we import far more than we produce, and could not sustain our population with indigenous resources alone. Most of our mining has stopped, and we’re a nation of net consumers.

Agriculture? We imported virtually all the methods used in modern farming, as well as many of the crops.

Universities – it is still considered that we are amongst the best universities in the world, Oxford, Cambridge and Hull.

Again, we imported the concept and became very good at it. As we are now at selling it to overseas students (rather than supplying it to our own).

mindless ability to obey our masters..
    the kind that won the second world war.

We were better than the Germans at this (not least assisted by conscripted troops from the various British colonies).

A counter point to almost every part of your argument:

You’ve failed spectacularly, but thanks for reinforcing my original point though. 😉

winston_dog
    Free Member

How foolish of me! I though a thread about 3 pin plugs could not get to this level!

thx – You seem to be have really missed the point of how any successful organisation/nation/country/business develops. Of course we import ideas we have been an Island that has explored and traded all over the planet, yes “we” have done some wrong in the past but as a rule the ex-British colonies are in a better state than others.

We have also invented and exported ideas in a quantity out of all proportion to our size, this is probably helped by our history of immigration, emigration and colonisation.

For what its worth I think my favourites are now:
    3 Pin plugs
    OS Maps
    NHS/free health care
    Police who do not carry guns all of the time
    Beef

bearnecessities

Jus to bring this back on track, our superheroes..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-21654930

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Superiority complexes.

sbob
    Free Member

What is with is this left wing pessimism?
    Why do you commies find it so hard to champion, to congratulate, to be happy for?
    Is it bitter, bitter jealousy?

I’d say we’re inherently better engineers.
    Just look at all the engineering talent we export to other countries.

thx1138
    Free Member

thx – You seem to be have really missed the point of how any successful organisation/nation/country/business develops

I haven’t. Quite the opposite in fact!

We have also invented and exported ideas in a quantity out of all proportion to our size, this is probably helped by our history of immigration, emigration and colonisation.

I’m not arguing that at all. In fact I agree. But the idea that Britain ‘invented’ such concepts as universities, education, medicine and most laughably, ‘democracy’, shows just how insular some people can be.

We’re extremely good at taking ideas and developing them, and coming up with some stunners of our own. Just that we should not forget the influence the rest of the world has had on our little island, and the importance of the input by ‘foreigners’. I think some people do lose sight of that at times. Mind you, others can be guilty of this too; I once heard a well educated American being adamant that ‘Kodak invented photography’. 😆

What is with is this left wing pessimism?
    Why do you commies find it so hard to champion, to congratulate, to be happy for?
    Is it bitter, bitter jealousy?

I think you may have posted in the wrong thread. Because I don’t see any of this ‘left wing pessimism’ of which you speak. Or any confirmed ‘commies’ posting.

3 Pin plugs

Now you’re talking. The undisputed world champion of plugs. Stick that in your socket, Johnny Foreigner! 😀

Mackem

Getting the serious/pissing around balance about right,

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

For what its worth I think my favourites are now:
    3 Pin plugs
    OS Maps
    NHS/free health care
    Police who do not carry guns all of the time
    Beef

A very good list. For me it needs a few additions, though;
    Cheese
    Beer
    BBC

ianv
    Free Member

jingoistic parochial denialists with an overinflated sense of our own true worth.

But hay, we are world class at it 😐

sbob
    Free Member

Why do people think that positivity about one’s own country means negativity about another?

thx1138 – Member

I think you may have posted in the wrong thread. Because I don’t see any of this ‘left wing pessimism’ of which you speak. Or any confirmed ‘commies’ posting.

Every post you have made in this thread is full of negativity.
    Why not stay on topic, or simply refrain from posting?

ETA: Whisky. 🙂

thx1138
    Free Member

Why do people think that positivity about one’s own country means negativity about another?

Erm…

Why not stay on topic, or simply refrain from posting?

Not fully understanding you there, old chap, mainly on account of you seeming to be off on a rant of your own about something. 🙄

I would add that another positive attribute of the British is that we have the ability to discuss things in a calm, reasonable and respectful manner, without flying off the handle and resorting to silliness. Some of us at least are really rather good at that. 😉

Every post you have made in this thread is full of negativity.

Or is it simply that you are interpreting my comments in a negative manner? Sorry if that offends you, but I think I’ll say what I want, if that’s all the same. Because another positive attribute of the British, is that we have a strong belief in the importance of freedom of speech. 🙂

mrmoofo

Curry houses
    Sense of innovation
    “Fairness”
    Our understanding of queuing
    Marmite
    Dr Martens
    Harvey’s Best Bitter
    Pubs – real ones , not the themed crap!
    The way we finally bought into Olympics , after a whole load of apathy onece Holland and Romey had sounded off
    The way we know how to drive around roundabouts
    The Sunday Times
    Cadbury’s Dairy Milk. It’s not great quality but thats not the point
    The Union Flag
    Our “modern” music

sbob
    Free Member

Erm…

I like English cheese. The English make good cheese.
    I like French cheese. The French make good cheese.

Two countries can be good at something. No negativity.

Not fully understanding you there, old chap, mainly on account of you seeming to be off on a rant of your own about something.

It’s quite simple, but I’ll explain it again if you’re having difficulty.
    This thread is about things in the UK that are inherently better (the clue is in the title :wink:) , yet you seem to want to dwell on the opposite.

I would add that another positive attribute of the British is that we have the ability to discuss things in a calm, reasonable and respectful manner, without flying off the handle and resorting to silliness. Some of us at least are really rather good at that.

Yes, at least we understand irony. 😉

Or is it simply that you are interpreting my comments in a negative manner?

“the reality is that we’re actually in decline as a nation; economically, politically and socially”

Doesn’t sound too positive.

“Actually you’ve just highlighted something else we’re really good at: Mindlessly obeying the orders of our ruling elites, who generally don’t have the needs of greater society at heart, merely using the rump of the population to achive their own self-serving ends. And we’re very good at accepting a monarchical society with little more than the illusion of democracy. Pretty good at being subservient sheep actually. “

Nope, no positivity there.

“Bloody right there.”

Ooh, what’s this?

“The perfect example of”

Looks promising…

“combining ideas”

Oh no! The inference that the good thing just had to be down to someone else.

“We’re world leaders in moaning, surely? “

Back to normal again.

I could go on, but I think I’ve provided enough examples to ease your comprehension.

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

Music – considering our size, British Music has and continues to punch well above it’s weight around the world.

sbob
    Free Member

thx1138

Sorry if that offends you

Firstly, you are not sorry.
    Secondly, nothing you write offends me.
    Except this:

not least assisted by conscripted troops from the various British colonies

Are you suggesting that all those “from the colonies” that gave their lives were forced to do it?

I am offended as it cheapens the sacrifices made by my family, when they chose to fight.
    I understand that is probably not something you can comprehend. 💡

loum
    Free Member

Chips.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

loum – Member
    Chips.

Shoulder or plate variety?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

But not fries. 😀

piemonster

Trolling

And definitely navel gazing

piemonster

Hook Norton Ales

We do that better than anyone else

AlexSimon

Trail network

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Islay and its produce
    Deuchars
    Haggis
    Stornoway Black pudding
    Cumberland sausages
    Yorkshire Puddings
    Access Rights (Scotland)

bearnecessities

Manners*

*yes, I’m serious!

thx1138
    Free Member

It’s quite simple, but I’ll explain it again if you’re having difficulty.
    This thread is about things in the UK that are inherently better (the clue is in the title :wink:) , yet you seem to want to dwell on the opposite.

It’s very amusing that you seem to think I’m the one having ‘difficulty’, when it’s you that was blethering on some idiotic nonsense about ‘left wing negativity’ and ‘commies’! 😆

Get over yourself and lighten up ffs! I’m perfectly entitled to make whatever comment I like;it be it positive, negative or any shade of grey in between. It’s a public forum. A place of discussion and comment. You don’t get to dictate to me what I can and cannot say.

I could go on,

You do a bit, rather. 😉

Are you suggesting that all those “from the colonies” that gave their lives were forced to do it?

A great number of them were, yes. As they were ‘subjects of the British Empire’. Read up on your History; something we Brits are rather good at writing (there, see? Positive!)

I am offended as it cheapens the sacrifices made by my family, when they chose to fight.
    I understand that is probably not something you can comprehend.

Now you’re just being deliberately offensive. Bye.

thx1138
    Free Member

Has no one yet mentioned F1/top level motorsport engineering? Aren’t most of the F1 teams based/have factories in the UK?

sbob
    Free Member

thx1138 – Member

Has no one yet mentioned F1/top level motorsport engineering? Aren’t most of the F1 teams based/have factories in the UK?

Yes, I mentioned engineering.
    Nice claw back.

Gilles

Double Decker, you can’t buy any Double Decker in France,as well as Crunchies. Surely there is a market somewhere.

sbob
    Free Member

thx1138 – Member

Now you’re just being deliberately offensive.

I’m not being offensive, just pointing out that in your frenzy to denigrate the UK you’ve ended up being exceedingly offensive to some of us who hail from foreign shores.

Bye.

Sorry to see you leave, but do close the door on your way out; don’t want any nasty drafts getting in. 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 162 total)

The topic ‘Which things in the UK are just inherently better?’ is closed to new replies.