Which things in the UK are just inherently better?

Home Forum Chat Forum Which things in the UK are just inherently better?

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 162 total)
  • Which things in the UK are just inherently better?
  • Road markings… Drives me nuts in the U.S how sporadic lane markings are, and i really miss “give way” and “stop” markings at junctions… It’s really easy to blow through a junction out here and think to yourself “was there a sign back there?” πŸ™„

piemonster

Bwaarpy, I think you’ve miss read the OP

Oh, and tax being included in advertised prices… I really miss that!

bwaarp

Nope….we’re better than everyone else in Europe at knocking the innocence out of kids. But yeah, this place is pretty and shit……oooh look dry stone walls….

alpin

bwaarp… do you really think that child abuse in the UK is worse than anywhere else in the world?

mightymule

Mrs Binners has just said “mountain bikers with baldy heads and nice bums” . And who’s going to argue with that?

Assuming that she was referring to you, rather than your baldy headed nice bottomed friend….. πŸ˜€

wrecker

Yeah stupid UK and its stupid RSPCC, childrens helplines, charities and the banning of smacking etc.
    I’m sure the child labourers of Africa and asia are feeling pretty smug………

ernie_lynch

alpin – Member

bwaarp… do you really think that child abuse in the UK is worse than anywhere else in the world?

Actually the term he used was “better”. I think we can safely assume it was done to provoke a reaction. An activity which is sometimes referred to as trolling.

I’d like to add ‘multiculturalism and tolerance’ to my previous suggestions.

Premier Icon ononeorange
    Subscriber

I genuinely struggled to think of a single thing before opening this thread – I was going to say Heathrow Airport or the Channel Tunnel – but reading it I suppose there are a few good things, so good on you chaps and girls for reminding me of them.

Not sure the UK is better overall though than most places.

Premier Icon binners
    Subscriber

Bwaarp – if you hate that much, why not **** off? We’ve a shedload of Bulgarians and Romanians along soon to replace you. Who the overwhelming majority will just bump along quite pleasantly with. Shut the door on your way out.

mogrim

Not sure the UK is better overall though than most places.

Depends what you’re comparing it to. Better than Western Europe/North America/Australasia? Probably not better or worse, they all have their pluses and minuses. But (with some exceptions) the rest of the world?

Premier Icon ononeorange
    Subscriber

I would say that pretty much everywhere (apart from obvious exceptions like Somalia, Yemen, North Korea) would all be likely to have their plusses and minuses. I don’t know though as I haven’t lived in any of them.

My perception is that the UK is not a great place to live in now, but hard to really know.

Premier Icon zippykona
    Subscriber

Taking our turn at the bar. If its not our turn we will point to the person whose it is.
    Our European cousins will not do that. Especially that **** German **** on holiday.

CountZero

Alpin pretty much put up a comprehensive list of things I was thinking of.

Public houses. Nobody does the drinking establishment quite like the Brits.

Oh yes, and I was in two of them this afternoon, at each end of an example of pretty amazing civil engineering; the Sapperton canal tunnel. At two miles in length, it was the longest canal tunnel in Britain:

By late summer, the decision had been taken to build a broad tunnel, 15 feet (4.6 m) high and 15 feet (4.6 m) wide, and the company advertised for tunnellers in September. The tunnel would be 3,817 yards (3,490 m) long, and was expected to take four years to complete, beginning in early 1784. In order the speed the work, 25 shafts were sunk along its length, to provide multiple work faces, the deepest of which was 244 feet (74 m). The construction contract was awarded to Charles Jones, who managed to build about one third of it, but then had financial difficulties, and so a number of other contractors were engaged to work on smaller sections of it.[2]
    The tunnel was opened on 20 April 1789 after five years of construction. It has no towpath; boats were propelled through the tunnel by legging.[3] There were some defects in the workmanship, as it had to be closed for ten weeks after only a year, while repairs were carried out.[4]

The two pubs, the Tunnel House and the Daneway, were used by the men who legged the narrow boats through the tunnel, it took an entire day, so they’d stay at the pub overnight and pick up a new boat in the opposite direction the next day. Has all the requisite features around there, rolling countryside, drystone walls, lots of green landscape…
    After around a six mile walk, sitting with a lovely pint of local brewed beer, in a great old pub, in a nice squishy sofa; wonderful. πŸ˜€

The Daneway end of the Sapperton Tunnel.

The little, light-coloured thing in the distance, just in the middle of the trees, is the Daneway Inn. That’s a country pub if ever there was one!

bwaarp

Who the overwhelming majority will just bump along quite pleasantly with.

HARR!

Actually the Bulgarians will be great, loads of idiots will vote UKIP and split the Tory vote destroying any chance of the right holding government for the next 10 years. Which is a good thing.

In the mean time I’m going to move to Vancouver so I can laugh at you from across the Atlantic.

wrecker

In the mean time I’m going to move to Vancouver so I can laugh at you from across the Atlantic.

So you know what the property prices are like there then? Unless you’re cash rich (pretty much a CAD$ millionaire) wave bye bye to property ownership unless you want to live in the van ghetto. Also, if you’re over 35, hello to 2+ years waiting on a visa. Since you’ve done your homework, You’re also aware that they currently have a right wing govt? (Well as right wing as ours). I don’t think you’ll be laughing too hard, but at least the riding will be better.

bwaarp

Yeah but there’s Whistler – it makes up for everything. **** Coed-Y-Brenin. If the planet wasn’t going to become much warmer I’d buy a mansion for next to nothing in the Philippines with my girlfriend but the way it’s going, all the Northern climates are going to be in a stronger and stronger position economically with each passing decade.

Canada has much less overcrowding than the UK and the 1st language is English – unlike Sweden/Norway.

wrecker

Fair point. And Squamish. And pemberton. And van island. And the kootenays. And the chilcotins. And kamloops.

sbob

I like the ability of the British to put up with odious little shits.
    We’re much better at it than the Canadians.
    Which is a shame, eh bwaarp?

Premier Icon NZCol
    Subscriber

Definitely pubs. I dream of UK pubs.

deadlydarcy

The Canadians aren’t bad a putting up with odious little shits either bob. A remarkably tolerant country you’ll find. Should you decide to visit.

deadlydarcy

Eh oop Col. I assume you’re just dreaming of pubs, full-stop at the moment.

jon1973

He’ll be on some Canadian bike forum in a years time complaining about how shit Canada is. Some people just like to whinge. πŸ˜‰

bwaarp

I like the ability of the British to put up with odious little shits.
    We’re much better at it than the Canadians.

Quit player hating 😈 :mrgreen: πŸ˜† whilst your grandkids are squabbling over an increasingly smaller Britain – with a higher population, a South resembling Southern Italy and more CCTV cameras to keep control of the ever more riotous citizenry…..mine will be living it large in a Northern rim economic powerhouse…..

:mrgreen:

But sure….the pubs are ammmmmazin….

ernie_lynch

This had been a nice thread bwaarp, couldn’t you have spared it your attention seeking antics ?

I’d like to add the British sense of fair play to my previous suggestions.

Premier Icon stewartc
    Subscriber

After now spending nearly 3 years away I would say:

Humour
    Real country pubs
    The green and pleasant countryside (including the riding)
    A legal system that, on the whole, you can trust

Theres a lot more things I do not miss but I guess thats for another thread?

Overcast days

Nipper99

Nothing at all.

Premier Icon batfink
    Subscriber

As an ex-pat:

BBC (obviously)

Driving. The driving in Oz (specifically Sydney) is unbelievably shocking.

wordnumb

Morris Dancing.
    Former glories.
    Cynicism.
    Swearing.
    Pubs.

Oh, and Cider… I miss Cider…

piemonster

Village fetes

Premier Icon franksinatra
    Subscriber

Quit player hating whilst your grandkids are squabbling over an increasingly smaller Britain – with a higher population, a South resembling Southern Italy and more CCTV cameras to keep control of the ever more riotous citizenry…..mine will be living it large in a Northern rim economic powerhouse…..

I love the lack of bears. Large man eating bears. The kind you get in Canada who like to eat people. (fingers crossed)

Bwaarp, usually I am quite frugal but for people like you, I would happily chip in to pay for your (one way) ticket.

marcus7

for me id like to put a thumbs up for the NHS, the mrs has just been in for 4 days and they’ve sorted out her illness (well nearly). at no point did i have to worry about her level of care and whether it would bankrupt us, she had ultrasounds, xrays, ct scans and MRI scans as well as pain relief etc, if i were in the US uninsured god knows what that would have meant. also i like:
    countryside (lakes peaks etc) primarily because its fantastic and most places are likely to kill you if you get it wrong.
    community, well at least the one i lve in where pretty much everyone says hello!.
    sense of humour ( you have to have it when you ride like me )
    Finally that perfect summer evening when theres no wind and the sun is warm, sat with family and friends eating and drinking and not wanting to be anywhere ele!

irelanst

We’ve been living in the Netherlands for 3 years now, on our last visit back our list of things to buy (which I suppose roughly equates to stuff that’s better/cheaper in the UK than here) was; Cheddar & Stilton, Bisto, Mcoys crisps, Cadburys mini-eggs, sausages and of course bacon and also some clothes, which are massively overpriced and poorer quality here.

Other things which are better are, cheap petrol, lower energy prices, lower taxation and the BBC. Specific to here as well would be hills, but obviously some countries do have better hills than the UK.

Whilst the idea of the NHS is great, the only thing that is actually better about it is the fact that it’s free. Yes we have to pay for health care here, but the standard and availability of care is way better than on the NHS (unless you want pain killers of course in which case you get a resounding MTFU).

MrNutt

Which things in the UK are just inherently better? (left in the UK)

The English, take them out of the UK and they’re a bloody nightmare!!

thx1138

Interesting and amusing that so many people think we do so many things ‘inherently better’ than other nations (whose populations probable think they do too), when the reality is that we’re actually in decline as a nation; economically, politically and socially.

But one thing we do very very well indeed, is import. Ideas, resources, people, cultures and habits. Ironic that some other things mentioned (beer, fish and chips, the NHS, music etc) have been developed because of the importation of said ideas, cultures etc. Because the reality is, that this resource poor island with crap weather would never have become anything of note had it not been for this phenomenon. So rather than the introspective naval gazing that doesn’t do us much good, we should be taking a good look round and thanking the rest of the world for making us what we are.

Because if we don’t, we’ll end up as an island populated by jingoistic parochial denialists with an overinflated sense of our own true worth.

Premier Icon binners
    Subscriber

Thats not really fair though thx. You can’t really say we’re that insular. Over the years we’ve pretty much invaded everyone. πŸ˜†

marcus7

Thanks for tha THX good to see you entering into the spirit!, i dont actually think most people (on here) actually think we are “inherently” better than anyone else and i got the impression that it was supposed to be a bit tongue in cheek. I like this country and i like its many and varied faults, why? beacuse i’ve learnt to accept some things for what they are and life really isn’t fair or just of even fun a lot of the time. On balence though i think that this country does a lot of things well and i love it for that. I certainly know the history of this country and its often murky past but living in the past is not what lifes about. Oh and i’m not getting into and arguement BTW as my cup of tea is getting cold and my biscuits wont dunk correctly if too cold. πŸ˜‰

thx1138

Over the years we’ve pretty much invaded everyone.

Actually you’ve just highlighted something else we’re really good at: Mindlessly obeying the orders of our ruling elites, who generally don’t have the needs of greater society at heart, merely using the rump of the population to achive their own self-serving ends. And we’re very good at accepting a monarchical society with little more than the illusion of democracy. Pretty good at being subservient sheep actually.

Baaa.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 162 total)

The topic ‘Which things in the UK are just inherently better?’ is closed to new replies.