Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • which shimano freehub do i need?
  • sadexpunk

been asked to sort a mates mtb rear wheel out. he says when he pedals the wheel doesnt go round, and says theres a bit of a grating sound. im no expert but im thinking its the freehub pawls that have probably gone.

ive unscrewed the freehub and taken the 10mm allen screw out and im now left with just the body. and there doesnt seem to be anything else i can take apart to check. is that right? when the freehubs gone you just replace it, rather than fork out for it to be fixed?

if so, ive been looking at chainreaction and wiggle, and they seem to be just less than £20. but im a bit confused over which to buy. when i took the freehub off, im left with a sort of wavy octalink interface left, but with 10 points rather than 8.

looking at wiggle, ive found this

which looks the same, but its a 105.

but id have said id want deore or something, not 105, but basic shimano looks like this

which doesnt look the same.

the freehub ive got doesnt have pawls on the outside.

can anyone tell me which i need?

thanks a lot

phatstanley
    Free Member

I’d say a good first step would be to identify the hub first. You’re talking mtb and road in your post. What kind is it?

sadexpunk

its a shimano mtb hub. nothing else written on it apart from ‘shimano’ so dont know the model no. but it looks like that 105 freehub above rather than having pawls that i can see, thats why im asking. im confused :-/

phatstanley
    Free Member

hmmm.
    if you really can’t tell the model from the hub, i’d go to an lbs before ordering a freehub.
    there are a number of variations possible….
    i’m not much help, i’m afraid.

sadexpunk

ok thanks mate. its 9sp so i was hoping i couldnt go wrong really, that thered only be one type for a mtb. oh well :-/

thanks a lot

reggiegasket
    Free Member

sounds like you have a standard Deore/M555 level hub, which as you say, looks like the top pic (not the DA one…).

AFAIK – and feel free to correct me – but most standard 9spd Shimano freehubs should be fine – have a search on M570/571/572/Deore M555/M760/765 M580/585. You can try to clean out the old one by lifting the seal and blasting some paraffin through etc. but frankly it’s a lot of faff and often only extends the life for a while. I recently bought a couple of new XT freehubs (M760) off ebay for a tenner each.

sadexpunk

ah right, didn’t think of eBay. ill go have a look.

thanks a lot

tod456
    Free Member

sorry to hijack

is there an alternative / cheaper option to genuine Shimano parts.

I need a Rs10 (road) freehub body and they’re £35 but merlyn do the wheelset for £100.

thanks for any help

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘which shimano freehub do i need?’ is closed to new replies.