Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Which rolls better? ADvantage 2.25 or High Roller 2.35?
  • Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I have one of each. Which would be best on the rear? Currently I’m thinking the Advantage on the rear for better rolling, and the High roller on the front for better grip.

The treads are taller on the HR, so it’d be better in mud at the front too.

Count
    Free Member

High Rollers to me are like the Susan Boyle of MTB tyres: with gravity on their side they seem pretty quick (good in the Alps) but I think they struggle to roll well on the flat/climbs.

I’ll not continue the analogy but bascially High Rollers going down only. If I had a choice, the front.

elliptic
    Free Member

Advantage at the back sounds right to me.

They come up big, don’t they… 😯

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

According to the carcass size, the 2.25 advantage is 2mm bigger than the 2.35 highroller.

Seems to be about right.

100mphplus
    Free Member

If you run the HR on the front, turn it round opposite to the direction arrow and it will roll faster. This is the way Comp 16 Michelin tyres, (which they have all copied), have the direction arrows and we turn them arround for DH.

DeeW
    Free Member

Think you’ve got that wrong 100mphplus.

Maxxis may have copied Michelin on the tread patten but not on rotating direction.

I run Maxxis ‘right way round’ (ramped part of knob forward), but I run Comp16s and Comp24s ‘wrong way round’ (also ramped part of knob forward).

james
    Free Member

Ramped forward will be faster rolling and give better braking

I wouldn’t personally run 2.35″ Maxxis front, 2.25″ Maxxis rear as the rear will be bigger than the front (yes I know that implies 2.35″ is smaller than 2.25″, but thats how it is with new and old maxxis treads/carcasses). I wouldn’t want that forward tipping of the bike

If I was going to run high roller front with a 2.25″ Advantage, I’d put a 2.5″ High Roller up front to get the volume/size about the same. I’ve not seen single ply wire 60A high rollers on sale for a while (they’re not on the maxxis site) so they may have pulled them from the line up?

steve_b77
    Free Member

How’s about running the 2.25″ Advantage on the front and popping down to Halfrauds and buying a 2.1″ advantage for the rear – they were £15 a couple of weeks ago.

Talking of carcas sizes, I’ve just changed 2.1″ halfords Advatages for 2.1″ Ignitor Exceptions and the size difference is massive!! Ignitors are fast as you like mind!

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Well, now they’re both inflated, There’s so little difference size wise. I’m not going to worry about the HR being a micron smaller and being on the front.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Which rolls better? ADvantage 2.25 or High Roller 2.35?’ is closed to new replies.