Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Which rims – Flow or Arch EX
  • rugbydick

Just in the process of specc’ing out my new bike.

It’s like to be an Intense Carbine with Fox 36 160mm forks.

Most of my riding is in the Scottish highlands on natural trails, but I am also going to be using the bike for trail centres and the Innerleithen winter enduro series.

Can’t decide on wheels though.
    Definitely Hope Pro II Evo hubs but can’t decide between the Stans Flow and Arch EX rims.

Has anyone got any experience of either?

alfabus
    Free Member

For that usage, flows all the way 🙂

arch are quite tough, but not as tough as the flows, and not as wide. My flows do everything from XC to AM to light DH.

how much do you weigh?

Dave

the_lecht_rocks

i used flow – nice and strong, but for trail have opted for arch EX [on my 29er] – i’m 80kg

i too live in NE Scotland fwiw

nosedive
    Free Member

Ive got flow, and old Arch

I run the arch on a 160mm bike, they are plenty wide enough for a 2.35 tyre, the flow are a little wider so if you want to run 2.5 that might make your mind up.

The flow hold up a bit better to abuse but I only really noticed the difference on my hardtail where the arch took a good few dings which the flow hasn’t

arch come up about 1750g I think, flow about 1900, but the weight does feel like it makes a difference.

overall I prefer the Arch on my FS bike, it feels much faster and they cope with the abuse OK for me. shame they aren’t available as factory built hope hoops though as that saves a fortune over a custom build

rugbydick

Cheers for the responses so far.

Fully kitted up, I would be about 80kg (ish)

Are the responses about the Arch rims for the older one or the new Arch EX (I believe that these are even closer to the strength of the Flow?)

nosedive
    Free Member

my response was for Old Arch, not EX

Im 88kg, and not kind to wheels. my arch were OK on my big bike

the_lecht_rocks

my response is arch EX.

STATO
    Free Member

I dont think enough people have the Arch EX to get a valid opinion of it. It is just a beffy version of the Crest and people seem to like those but personally id prob just go for a flow.

Dunk10
    Free Member

I’d go for the flows on a bike like that much wider rim so tyres are going to be less likely to burp air or roll over. Also a lot stiffer and stronger. In the shop we have seen a fair few arch rims folded in half on much shorter travel bikes than that!

nuke

I do like the look of the Arch EX…here’s a few stats for comparison based on Pro2 Evo hubs:

Arch EX wheelset: 21mm internal rim, Around £340 (Moonglu), 1715g (Moonglu)
    Flow Hoops: 22.6mm internal rim, Around £275, 1886g (Hope PDF)
    Crest Hoops: 21mm internal rim, Around £275, 1633g (Hope PDF)

Despite the extra cost, the extra strength over the Crest (Arch EX has the same rim profile as the Flow) but the weight saving over the Flow, make them a very tempting wheelset.

Northwind

Either would be appropriate really. Flow would give you more width, and a bit more strength which you probably won’t need. I went with Flows because of the lack of cheap built Arch sets but they’ve been overkill for me- they’re on the downhill bike now.

skywalker
    Free Member

I have never understood why Hope don’t sell the Arch as a hoop, they are Stans best selling rims apparently. Tempting though even if it is a custom build.

nuke

I can understand initially why they didn’t when they introduced the 355 and Flow to the Hope Hoops range back in 2009 iirc but, given the popularity of Stans – Hoops combo, you’d think they’d drop one of the less popular (Mavic) rims and add the Arch, they’d fly off the shelves.

Northwind

I think a lot of people wrongly worry about the strength of the Stans rims because of the weight tbh… A lot of folks think the Flow’s comparable to an 819 frinstance. So it might be partly that…

hughjardon
    Free Member

Arch 29ers on Pro II hubs, tipping the scales at 97Kg in the buff 😀

Had no problems in the 12 months I’ve had them.

robsoctane
    Free Member

I’ve got Hope on Arch EX and they’re bloody great! I’m only 160lbs but ride quite hard and no problems after 6 months. Ride about 200 miles every week, apart from a few paint chips, woo hoo!!!

doom_mountain

I ended up going for Arch Ex’s over Flow’s for my Pitch.
    No problems so far, even got some Schwalbe tyres on them.
    Seem pretty light, they replaced Dt EX500’s, so saved about 100g a wheel but just as wide.

I’m not gnar enough for Flow’s.

shortcut

Something else – otherwise you will be starting a new thread next week because you can’t get your chosen tyres on the rims!

docrobster
    Free Member

I’m probably 95kg fully kitted up with camelback etc.
    I’ve got a flow in the back of my FS bike, previously it was on my summer season. I don’t do massive jumps etc just the odd drop 3 foot max. I am pretty clumsy though and used to get loads of pinch flats when running tubes. I’ve had no worries at all about the flow. Perfectly true and no dings after 18 months of abuse.
    My new HT is built lighter so I went for arch EX front and rear. Built by me rather than jra who built the flow wheel. Still going strong despite my best attempts to buckle them.
    I can’t say I can tell the difference when riding them. 2.35 Higher roller on the flow, advantage 2.25/2.1 on the arches.
    Either would be fine. Some good deals on old flows now the flow ex is out?

andyl
    Free Member

I just picked up some Arch EX rims…am wondering if I should have gone Flow EX for the extra width but I dont do downhill so I think I made the right choice. Just need to find a rear hub now and learn to build….gulp

alcolepone
    Free Member

have the same choice, currently have a 819 on a ti 456. thinking about going to flow ex or arch ex’s. anyone else done the same, with a 2.4 racing ralph out back, the tyre is close to the frame would the flow mae the tyre too big?

andyl
    Free Member

I’ve got a set of 26″ arch-EX sitting here. Seemed like a good idea at the time but never built a wheel before so wondering if I should just buy a set of Hope hoops or SS wheels.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Which rims – Flow or Arch EX’ is closed to new replies.