Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Which rear quick release for SS
  • stripeminister
    Free Member

I’m having a few little issues with my rear wheel slipping whilst braking on my horizontal drop out Single Speed with discs…(its a DMR Trailstar so its an MTB hub)
    I’ve got a chain tug on the drive side which has sorted out wheel slip when I pedal but these work the wrong direction when braking, so I didn’t get one, was this a mistake?

So which quick release do you recommend that will clamp up really tight…?

cheers

gears_suck
    Free Member

Fun bolts

sandwicheater

Try shimano ones. Can’t recall the reason but had similar issue with a sliding dropout.

Because I had aluminium QRs they were not biting into the frame. Steal Shimano ones seemed to work and cheap too.

Sorry to be so vague. Sure someone will be along to explain why.

stripeminister
    Free Member

The fun bolts look like they would do the trick but I’d have to change the hub surly to a Chris king, which would be nice but isn’t going to happen….

Sandwicheater, you might be onto something there with the Ali Nuts as I currently have one of the Superstar light weight QR’s fitted as its what I had spare, but I think it’s too light weight for this job…

13thfloormonk

Think Shimano QRs are good because the cam is enclosed which means lower friction which means tighter clamping force. Or something.

Either way, when people came to our shop with QR vs. horizontal drop problems we just gave them a basic deore QR. Solved 99% of the problems. I used one on my SS as well. Can’t hurt to try for 10 quid.

breadcrumb

I had a chain tug on both sides when I had my DMR SS. Never slipped.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Use a cheap shimano or an allen key one,

chaintugs on both sides can help a little also, but still not as good as getting it tight.

mtbfix
    stripeminister
    Free Member

Cheers, looks like I’ll go the cheap shimano route then, and needs be I’ll add the 2nd chain tug.

takisawa2

Swap the axle to an old fashioned solid one with nuts. Seriously.

mattbee

Shimano are bestest.
    I use one of the fancy Mavic ones that have the little linkage in the cam. came with some Crossmax wheels I bought years ago.

oxym0r0n

Use a cheap shimano or an allen key one,

This

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Put the non-driveside tugnut on backwards if you can.

Horizontal dropouts + qr skewer = disaster. Bolt-in or nutted axles are the best solution. As well as CK, you can go Hope Pro2 for fun-bolts. I’m sure DMR must do one too.

cookeaa

Shimano QR.

although I have seen people tap the ends of QR hub axles, depends on the hub to accept a bolt and a big spreader washer, it seemed to work…

The other option is to see if there is a Nutted axle available for your hub, what Hub is it out of interest?

Cheezpleez

I use Shimano QRs and have never had a problem

stripeminister
    Free Member

Well my wheel set is a bontranger rhythm elite… It’s a bontranger hub which looks like the cups/axle are not interchangeable, which means I’m left with either QR or bolt ons using the same size axle…
    The bolt ons would added security as well…

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

I use Halo hex skewers on my singlespeed together with a (single) Surly tugnut. never had any issues with rear wheel slipping.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=26621

Mind not to overtighten though.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Which rear quick release for SS’ is closed to new replies.