Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Which pads for Deore M595 brakes?
  • chrispo
    Free Member

Help! Afan ate my brake pads at the weekend and I’m looking to do my first ever DIY pad change…

Looking for sintered pads online but can’t find anything telling me which pads are compatible with these brakes.

Thanks for any guidance!!

HantsNightRider
    Free Member

Superstar S1
    other brands are available

soma_rich
    Free Member

Disco brakes Kevlar are good in my experience.

cp

superstar – sintered for very long life, work best when they’ve got some heat in them. organic for dry weather riding – they give good feel across a range of temps. kevlar is supposed to be similar to organic but longer life. not got round to trying yet…

changing pads is very easy. remove wheel. remove old pads, push pistons back with something blunt like a tyre lever. install new pads. undo caliper mounting bolts slightly so caliper can move. re-insert wheel. pull brake lever a few times to push pads against disc (the first few pulls the lever will move a fair bit). then whilst holding brake lever on tight, do up caliper bolts bit by bit, release the lever after each part-turn of the caliper bolt to enable the caliper to re-settle, then pull lever tight again before doing up a bit more. spin wheel to make sure no disc rub. if there is a bit, repeat the undoing and doing up the caliper bolts bit.

portlyone

Cp – I leave in the old pads before pushing the pistons back, saves ruining the pistons.

From Superstar

chrispo
    Free Member

Fantastic, order placed – thank you!

Hope they come in time for the weekend…

And thanks for the fitting tips!

dantsw13

Yep, sintered from superstar all the way – the organic ones fitted in new brakes are great in the dry, but wet and mud eat them alive. Sintered last me about 6 months riding twice a week, and I’m no XC lightweight, and drag the brakes far more than I should.

Get the deal on 4 sets, then you will have another spare set for each wheel too!! All for the price of one set of real shimano ones 🙂

Make sure you wear them in – about 10-15 hard stops in succession, to glaze the pad/disc surface and make them work properly/last longer. Use the search function above to find a million threads/opinions on this.

Ps – superstar delivery is free, lightning quick, and a free pack of Haribo!!

rocketman
    Free Member

Shimano

chrispo
    Free Member

Received, fitted, adjusted and bedded in all within 24 hours. Good call lads!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Which pads for Deore M595 brakes?’ is closed to new replies.