Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Which new brake set for my 4x/play bike?
  • pinches
    Free Member

I have the following choices for a new brakes on my tazer:

09 Shimano XT – Most expensive at £200, and already have on my XC bike

09 Shimano SLX – Cheaper at £140, look like a dressed down XT and apparently feel the same?

09 Magura Louise BAT – middle of the road at £150 the pair, in white. never had them before anyone with any experience?

Cheers

Chris

JxL
    Free Member

You could go with SLX and save a few bob, they are not that much worse than the XT, and since its only a play bike it doesn’t matter as much, the money could be better spent elsewhere!

charlierevell
    Free Member

Hayes Stroker? £150 @ Merlin!

timbercombe
    Free Member

I’ve never touched shimano apart from on a test bike so can’t pass judgement.
    But having owned m4/mini/elixir R/CR/ Formula the one/Stroker Trail I have to say cash:performance/longevity/needle to fettle, the elixir Rs are streets ahead. A set’s £160 on merlin and they’re perfect for a play bike, I’ve got one on my play bike on the rear and it’s perfect!

retro83
    Free Member

if you already have shimano on your other bike, you may as well get the SLX as you’ll only need one bleed kit, can use the same fluid etc.

mamadirt
    Free Member

Oooh, another Tazer! Any pics?

pinches
    Free Member

yep!

good thinking about the SLX, but CRC doesnt state anything about rotors included at that price (E.g there isnt any!)

will check merlins emails, never liked Avid levers so don’t fancy some elixrs

Cheers!

mamadirt
    Free Member

Looking good

bomberman
    Free Member

nice tazer. i like the tazer HT too 🙂

So what brakes are on it at the moment and what dont you like about them?

pinches
    Free Member

it had mono M4s on, they never fit nicely due to the massive rear dropouts and the fact the fronts a 200mm rotor on larsen TTs it just locks the front up all the time and washes the front out. I’ve sold them, so i am wanting a sensibly sized replacement.

Pauly

SLX’s felt wooden compared to my 09 XT’s mate. Noticeable difference in feel.

pinches
    Free Member

anyone had magura louises? seams a good deal at £150 with 5yr warranty!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Which new brake set for my 4x/play bike?’ is closed to new replies.