Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Which link for 10sp Shimano chain
  • jakehinton
    Free Member

Going 1×10 and I need a powerlink type thing. Ive always used sram poerlink on the 9 speed setup but they dont seem to do a 10 speed one. Looked at the KMC link but there seems to be a fair few reviews saying their 10 speed link doesnt fit shimano chains? Or can i just get away with using a 9sp powerlink? All bit confusing really!

chakaping
    Free Member

Or can i just get away with using a 9sp powerlink?

Yes, sram ones totally fine for me.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Er sram do quick links for all the speeds

nickc

Are you sure Mike? I thought their 10sp ones were locks rather than links? has that changed?

mtbfix

KMC on both of mine.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Sram ones do “lock” as such, out on the trail I think you’d find it difficult to undo without some toolage.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Sram ones do “lock” as such, out on the trail I think you’d find it difficult to undo without some toolage.

I can testify to that. Even in the workshop with a selection of tools to pick from I still had to resort to a chain breaker. No more SRAM chains for me.

Northwind

KMC 10 speed is fine on Shimano chains. (9 speed links work fine too, but mixing them like that causes me spiritual disquiet)

If you’ve got a decathlon local, they sell twin packs cheap and they’re repackaged KMC.

theotherjonv

Even in the workshop with a selection of tools to pick from I still had to resort to a chain breaker.

I now carry one of these in the backpack

and at that price, also one hangs on the wall of the workshop to save me rummaging for it in the backpack when at home.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-master-chain-link-pliers/?lang=en&curr=GBP&dest=1&sku=5360510144&ci_src=18615224&ci_sku=5360510144uk&utm_source=google&utm_term&utm_campaign=UK_PLA_Accessories&utm_medium=base&utm_content=sKWw8wr8l_dc%7cpcrid%7c71714696822%7cpkw%7c%7cpmt%7c%7cprd%7c5360510144uk

jimw
    Free Member

I’ve used KMC 10 spd ones on Shimano chains for quite a while with no issues, they always release easily and haven’t caused any gearchanging problems whatsoever

dantsw13

Try YBN links too – much cheaper and no issues for me.

jakehinton
    Free Member

Do the YBN ones come apart easily without a tool?

ransos
    Free Member

I use a KMC link on my Shimano chain – works fine.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Which link for 10sp Shimano chain’ is closed to new replies.