Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 86 total)
  • Best winter gloves
  • butcher

Two of us found the limits of the aldi gloves today on snowdon.
    They are warm until it’s a bit windy, then both my hands went completely numb as they were so cold.

This is the thing. Probably any winter glove will be fine in temperatures down to -20 if you’re just out for a 30 minute ride with no wind and the sun out. I find my gloves can go from fantastic to ‘holy shit I think my fingers are going to fall off’, and back to fantastic again within 20 minutes, depending on what the weather is doing, what direction I’m facing, whether I’m going up, or down, or whatever. When the weather is bad, and when you’re completely exposed, and when you’re heading downhill. That’s the true test of a glove!

I’m yet to find one that passes it.

fudge9202
    Free Member

I was so close to buying Raceface Storm gloves but based on what I read in this thread bought the Scott ones, hope I made the right choice.

jameswilliams54
    Free Member

I’ve heard very good things about the pearl izumi ones mention but they are crazy expensive
    The Scott ones look like my enduro dexter windproof ones which I like a lot down to say 8 or 5 with some liners but only when it’s dry, they are hopeless when slightly damp.

I’ve been using neoprene sailing socks from rooster last year with some success so May try some of there gloves this year

gavstorie
    Free Member

endura strike. great winter gloves. waterproof, windproof.. does exactly what it says on the tin

jameswilliams54
    Free Member

Floating liner though

papamountain
    Free Member

Endura Thermolite Roubaix

hammyuk
    Free Member

Motorcycle gloves – designed to keep you warm and dry at 70mph.
    Buy at the right time and you’ll pay less than many cycling ones.

theflatboy
    Free Member

Have gone through this same winter-wear sole searching this very evening, having been reminded on a chilly early morning ride today just how annoying crap gloves is… Have ended up taking a punt on these: Galibier Barrier II.

Hoping they’re as good as they claim them to be, not extortionate if it turns out they’re not great. I’d love this to be the end of my seemingly eternal quest for warm hands, though.

sarpullido
    Free Member

Try Assos, neoprene style, good fit. Got recently a pair but haven’t tested yet.

onandon
    Free Member

How can you recommend something you have your used yet?

Sanny
    Free Member

endura? (Shudders) About as effective as a chocolate fire guard in my experience. “Waterproof” gloves that stay waterproof for less than five minutes when squeezing the brake lever forces water in are not waterproof! Truly awful gloves where the first pair fell apart after a handful of rides. 👿

Specialized lobster style gloves for me. They just work and the liner glove is a terrific glove in itself. 😀

Northwind

I had the old Endura Strikes, for literally one wet night ride, they were crap. Not in any way waterproof. So I assumed they were faulty, nope, they’re all like that apparently. Endura didn’t really seem to understand the issue, why would you expect waterproof gloves to be waterproof? Weirdo.

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

I’ve always worn Sealskins gloves in winter, including snowy/icy rides. Never had cold fingers.

benp1

Something with a really solid liner would be great

I have 4 pairs of aldi gloves – 2 black, 1 yellow and 1 lobster. I use the first 3 regularly, mainly commuting

When my hands are sweaty the liner pulls out a touch, not completely, just a bit

I can completely forgive them as they’re so bonkers cheap, I’d invest in a better pair if it ticked all the boxes

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I got mine from Decathlon.

TBH I avoid going out if it’s really pissing it down, but they’ve never let me down when I’ve been caught out or it’s been cold or snowing.

The other thing is, warm (and windproof) arms, since getting a decent winter jersey (Endura FS260 jetstream) I’ve not had cold hands.

swanny853

I bought these (gore) for ~£25 last winter. They don’t feel as bulky as they look and they were great in what relatively little cold weather we had down south.

Now, they aren’t waterproof, so at some point I’ll need to replace my old ‘waterproof’ enduras too, but the thing they’ve made me realise is that most of the time waterproof isn’t actually that necessary. These are breathable enough that I can put them back on after a tea stop and not feel like they’re drenched in sweat- as a result they’re a lot more comfortable all the time.

Perhaps the way to sum it up is this- before having them, I wouldn’t have gone near gloves at gore prices. Now I’d be seriously prepared to.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Didn’t realise it was going to be quite so cold last night when I headed out (avg 2C temp here) and did 2 hours on the road in a pair of DeFeet Duragloves. It actually wasn’t all that bad.

I’d normally use my old Craft lobster gloves, the ones with a removable liner. If they ever died I’d replace with another lobster shell and separate inner glove.

Endura

Endura really are weird. A few things they do really well and everything else they do quite poorly. Their gloves are firmly in the latter category.

hora
    Free Member

Evening. Right I’ve got some of those reduced Scott minus on the way

mattyfez

I test drove my new endura strike gloves Saturday on a 4 hour ride in the rain.. They got wet after about 3 hours, not sure how much of that was sweat on the inside, or how long that type of glove can really stay water proof for though.

I certainly like them though, very warm when dry considering they were the thinnest most dexterous ones I tried in the shop, that still looked like they would offer decent protection from cold..

Does such a glove exist that does dexterity, warmth and waterproofing for long wet rides?

fr0sty125
    Free Member

jameswilliams54 – Member
    Two of us found the limits of the aldi gloves today on snowdon.
    They are warm until it’s a bit windy, then both my hands went completely numb as they were so cold.
    My mates turned into sponges.
    Gonna try something else this winter me thinks

I know what you mean I was on Skidaw on Saturday about 800m and out of the wind, my hands were fine. Went to summit into winds that were strong enough to easily blow the bikes away and my hands were numb in a few minutes, it actually had me worried. On the descent I couldn’t feel the handle bar or the brake lever. I had to two finger break on occasion my fingers had come off the leaver and I couldn’t tell…. Anyway I need some proper winter gloves that work in gale force freezing winds.

jameswilliams54
    Free Member

Fr0sty it was pretty scary going down the ranger not feeling the brakes at times for sure.

https://www.roostersailing.com/pd/Rooster-Aquapro-Glove_105354.htm

I have some socks from these guys and they are brilliant, they are designed for sailing in sub zero temps.

They also do a liner and a hot hands (I have the hot feet) which is a silver lined sock / glove which radiates the heat back.

gatsby
    Free Member

Try Assos, neoprene style, good fit. Got recently a pair but haven’t tested yet.

I have a pair of the Assos neoprene rain gloves. They’re great in mild conditions down to about 5°c but they properly wet out – wetsuit style – and suddenly become dangerously cold! Brilliant on wet rides though.

I’m really interested to see how those Galibier fair, has anyone tried them yet?

trail_rat
    Free Member

when its really cold and im out on a long ride i prefer to use pogies and a thin glove than the ice mitt alternative.

Got barmitts for the drops on the roadies/CX and ive got hotpogs for the bars on the mtb.

nemesis
    Free Member
    velosam
    Free Member

Another aldi fan but I use the sky gloves. If it’s really bad I use my winter motorcycling gloves.

theflatboy
    Free Member

gatsby, I’ll let you know when I have given them a testing. It was a choice between those and offerings from Chapeau and Phew, both of which look interesting. I may well get some of these as well, as an additional layer: Phew Outer Gloves, but will hold off that for now.

Other Galibier stuff I’ve tried has been excellent, so (warm) fingers crossed…

bothybiker
    Free Member

Waterproof gloves got to be Sealskins for me. hands can get a bit sweaty when its warmer but definitely keep the water out. Sure they do different thickness as well so maybe a thin pair and thicker pair depending on temperature would be ideal. No issues with grip/control for me

gatsby
    Free Member

I took a punt on a pair of the Galibiers theflatboy – I’ve got one or two other items which, as you say are excellent quality for the money, so they’re probably worth a try. I’ll report back!

I used Endura Deluge last year, and they were neither waterproof or particularly warm! So still looking for the Holy Grail!!

I’m still wearing Assos Insulators which are brilliant at this time of year and double up as a liner silk when it’s really cold.

aP
    Free Member

For generally just cold – down to about 1C then I’ll wear Assos system gloves – inners, fingered + lobster gloves as appropriate. When it gets properly cold, then I have an old pair of Cannondale lobster gauntlets with removable inners that I bought in the 90s – they’re great, but a bit imposing looking.

dannyh
    Free Member

At first glance, the Aldi ones look good, but the waterproof membrane bit degrades quite badly and the lining pulls out if your hands get sweaty.

However, three pairs is still cheaper than most posh ones and I can eke out a winter from those.

gatsby
    Free Member

I ordered a couple of pairs of the Galibier gloves (Mrs G needed some winter gloves) and I’m quite pleasantly surprised at the fit and quality.

They’re similar in thickness to the Endura Deluge and whilst they’re not quite as well-shaped, they feel snugger and warmer.

They don’t look like they’ll be very waterproof but I’ll have to see how they perform when the temps dip.

The problem I have with the Deluges is that when wet, the filling seems to compress and they loose all insulation… I might give them a good dowsing with Thompsons Water Seal and see if that helps!

scotroutes

Pogies for proper winter. Anything else is just for fannying around when it’s a wee bitty chilly.

fudge9202
    Free Member

Just had my Scott Mind gloves delivered today and first impressions are that they are very well made, nice long cuff that come further up the wrist than other gloves. I ordered Xl and they have enough room to have silk liners with no bunching. Will be using them at the weekend so will see if they live up to the recommendations in this thread.

hora
    Free Member

Evening. My XLs came, they fit but wow they are very thin. Too thin for winter?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Pogies for proper winter. Anything else is just for fannying around when it’s a wee bitty chilly.

I bought them for last winter, but it never really got cold enough, here’s hoping for some proper freezing cold clear days this year.

Worst winter gloves ever were the ones that Ton swore by for some reason – extremities. Absolute pish, and wore through at the brake/gear area quick smart.

johnnystorm

I did OK with some Skytec Argon gloves from Screwfix last year, a bit bulky but only a fiver. I splashed out 20 quid on some Stanley ones last week. Far too warm when used yesterday but as I hosed my bike off I gave them a good blast with the hose and they didn’t leak. Dunno why so many bike products are sub-standard and much more expensive. The stanley ones are ce rated for abrasion and cut resistance too.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I use my Mavic Inferno gloves if it’s really cold (sub zero) the rest of the time they’re too hot.

FOG

Some snowboarding gloves from Decathlon for two quid a couple of years ago worn only when very cold but a bit clumsy for changing gear!

Alex

@hora – I have some too. They’ll be fine I think for me as once my hands are warm – even on cold nights – they just need a bit of insulation/wind protection. Thicker gloves make me sweat horribly and I don’t like the feel of them on the bars/brakes.

Give ’em a go as soon as it gets cold. 15 degrees out there at the moment!

fudge9202
    Free Member

Alex do you wear yours with a silk liner glove?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 86 total)

The topic ‘Best winter gloves’ is closed to new replies.