• This topic has 16 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by gogg.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Which – Hydration Pack – for commuting / day long rides etc,
  • FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Currently I have a vintage Camelbak which will fit a wallet, phone and a couple of energy bars in. Its great for local rides but uncomfortable when the bladder is full or anything big in it.

Also I currently use an ordinary rucksack for commuting which is comfy but not ideal.

I am also looking at doing the West Highland Way this year, so need some thing that can carry tools, food, spare clothing.

Whats a good all round pack?

This Camelbak looks reasonably good value, but Im not sure its bike specific? Camelbak Octane 22. Other Camelbaks looks stupid money these days!

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/camelbak-octane-22-lr-2013/?lang=en&curr=GBP&dest=1&utm_source=pla&utm_medium=base&utm_campaign=uk&kpid=5360555947

mikewsmith
    Free Member

http://shop.camelbak.com/mule-nv/d/1005
    I rate the mule NV for an all day bag, not sure what you carry on your commute so not sure what you need.

Although more expensive I’ve tried a few others making bags and bladders over the years, this was my first new one in 6 years as my last camelback refused to die, I’d be happy with 4/5 years out of this one.

The bladder has moved on a long way and the new ones with baffles stops any sloshing round.

I have just got a Rogue to compliment it for short rides
    http://shop.camelbak.com/rogue/d/50011_c_1100

Superficial
    Free Member

I’ve got a Camelbak Mule NV but wouldn’t recommend it. Mine ripped after 6 months (I caught it on a small low branch going up a steep muddy hill at approx 3mph) and Camelbak’s “Got your bak” warranty was a complete waste of time. It was just a freak accident but a) the forces involved were so small and yet the bag completely disintegrated and b) the distributors were unhelpful to the point of being rude IMO.

I would buy an Osprey Raptor in the right size for your needs. I have one of their bigger rucksacks and it’s very well-made and crazy lightweight for what it is. Comfortable, lots of useful pockets etc. Not cheap, mind.

Speshpaul

sports pursuit were doing some deuter ones quite cheap last week.

dandax1990
    Free Member

I’ve got a Mule which held up very well when I broke my collarbone and ended up sliding a few feet on my back/Mule.

dantsw13

I have 2 ospreys, and wouldn’t get anything else.

wiggles
    Free Member

Alpkit Gordon for commuting.
    Then something small for trails

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice so far.

Has anyone actually used the Octane?

fattylee
    Free Member

+1 alpkit bourdon 20

closetroadie
    Free Member

I have a Raptor 18 and Escapist 25
    Used the Raptor quite a lot and is now coming up for 4 years old. Still looks for new other than the hoops for the hydration pack tube fraying.

They come in s/m and m/l. Its makes a difference regarding fit on your back (I’m 5’8″ and take the s/m). They have been thoughtfully designed. You can install a full hydration pack when the backpack itself is full.
    I found the Escapist 25 just big enough for an over night stay at a YHA (change of riding gear, toiletries, towel, evening clothes and flip-flops) as well as accommodating the usual stuff although I’d probably go for the 30 as the s/m in a 25 is 22 litres

ticsmon

Saw some camelbacks on offer in go outdoors yesterday. Worth a look

RustySpanner

Alpkit Gourdon for everything here:
    Comfy, very light, waterproof, cheap, tough, stable.
    Bladder from Decathlon.

Haven’t found anything better, £30.00 all in.

stumpy01

I’ve currently got a Vaude Splash Air 20+5 for longer rides. The main thing I got it for is the suspended back, but there are plenty of other brands that now do a similar thing. I like the Vaude, but it is a bit ‘baggy’ if you don’t have it stuffed full & doesn’t have many internal pockets, so stuff tends to end up mixed up at the bottom of the bag.

I’ll probably replace it at some point with something from Osprey; I’ve got the Syncro10 for short rides and it’s a really good pack.
    Ergon do some interesting looking designs too, but not sure they go very big.

fasthaggis

I collect backpacks the way some women people collect shoes.
    I couldn’t survive with just one 😳 🙂

doug_basqueMTB.com

I´ve tried a lot of packs and I´ve not found something more comfortable than the Osprey packs. The Escapist 25, or the bigger 30, are super comfortable, even when stuffed full. They don´t have armour straps but then its not really that type of pack. The Raptor 14 is a great pack but for shorter days. Then this year I´m using the new Zealot 16 which is a great pack, probably the best all round pack I´ve tried, with the typical Osprey well thought out storage, loads of space and space for pads and jackets etc outside the main storage area. Tools low down on the back on their own roll out thingy is a great idea, heavy stuff low down.

For what you ask for I´d get the Escapist 30 or 25 though.

gogg
    Free Member

Hydrapak bladders everytime for me. So easy to clean, no more mold!

Haven’t used their packs yet, just switched the bladder in my ancient Camelbak HAWG.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Which – Hydration Pack – for commuting / day long rides etc,’ is closed to new replies.