Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Penny farthing
  • january
    Free Member

Where can I get a really good quality retro / replica penny farthing..any idea of cost?
    TIA

nickjb
    Free Member

Showing as out of stock but worth calling. Its possibly a make to order item.

http://www.unicycle.uk.com/penny-farthing/complete-penny-s-52/50-udc-mk2-penny-farthing.html

riddoch

Bizzarly the same question was in the Sunday times cycle doc

“Does anyone still make penny-farthings? I’m looking for one as a gift for my husband. ST, Gospel Oak, London

Various companies have revived the design over the years, although most produce them only as required, so you might have to build in some lead time. Joff Kirda (pennyfarthingworldtour.com), who is based in London, offers his Summerfield Mk-5 at £1,500, and has completed extraordinary journeys on one of his own machines.

Rideable Bicycle Replicas in California (hiwheel.com) does a cheaper model, but obviously you would have to import the bike. If you’d prefer an antique penny-farthing, check out tc-auctions.com, where they often come up.”

TiRed

Joff Summerfield £1500. He races them in the popular IG Nocturns and rode one round the world.

january
    Free Member

Thanks, this is a very active forum !!!

I have found this which is quite close to me, and looks to be well engineered, any comments / advice?

penny farthing

riley
    Free Member

They still make them in my hometown here in Oamaru, New Zealand, and even race them. There website isn’t the greastest however: http://oocc.org.nz/

cozz
    Free Member

wow – that richards website is good, his penny farthing looks ace

but Im such a short arse I would need about a 40″ wheel, would be the smallest penny farthing ever

joolsburger
    Free Member

My local bike shop Neil’s Wheels in Molesey, Surrey have a penny Farthing they just had built, worth a call I reckon, no idea if they would sell though.

MoreCashThanDash

As first posts go, this is a cracker…..cycling related but really left field.

Other than that I have nothing to add. Except that one of the guys at Matlock Cycling Club got the penny farthing bug a couple of years back and makes regular appearances in the local rag with his. One year he competed at the Nocturne in London – and rode down on the penny farthing. From Matlock. 😯

This year I spotted that he came last in the fixed gear category at a club time trial. Not very aerodynamic, those penny farthings.

garage-dweller

Search for veteran or vintage cycling clubs. My Dad owns some slightly more modern vintage stuff but there are some very active clubs.

Oddly I saw one on a bike rack on the back of a Lexus the other week. Very incongruous sight.

january
    Free Member

As first posts go, this is a cracker…..cycling related but really left field.

Thanks, i have never tried but just want to, watched youtube video..getting on looks fairly OK, but getting off especially in a hurry or having to stop quickly must be hair raising.

I live in Germany and this to me looks the real deal, even if not antique. Anyone with mechanical knowledge to make a comment on suitability? penny farthing near to me

shermer75
    Free Member

Looks beautiful. I would agree, it’s quite possibly antique. Have you emailed the vendor to find out more?

frankz
    Free Member

My LBS (Square Wheels) will sell you a nice 3/4 bike. Much easier to ride.

This guy had ridden the whole TdF route! Ex pro from Czech Republic as I understood.

http://www.photobox.co.uk/my/photo/full?photo_id=7886454948

january
    Free Member

Ah, these were the days 🙂

lady on a penny

oldnick

I think she is sitting on her tuppence.

january
    Free Member

Looks beautiful. I would agree, it’s quite possibly antique. Have you emailed the vendor to find out more?

Well I found out, not original but a hand crafted faithful build of a Rudge…a real piece of quality engineering…I am collecting soon.

maccruiskeen

Im such a short arse I would need about a 40″ wheel, would be the smallest penny farthing ever

The politically correct term is ‘adjusted for inflation’

jambourgie
    Free Member

I’d love a Penny Farthing. Not sure I’d pull it off up north tho, I’d have to move to East London. Anyone know what they’re like to ride?

😀

tonyg2003

I’ve ridden my friends Penny Farthings quick a few time (modern and antique) even crit raced them a couple of times. He sells some from his shop – mainly build in the Czech Republic.

They are “interesting” to ride. Getting on, braking (if you have them) and getting off all represent challenges but you do get a great view.

aracer
    Free Member

There’s always one of these, which might be small, but has a higher gear than most pennys
    http://www.unicycle.uk.com/blog/schlumpf-powered-penny-farthing/

aracer
    Free Member

…just got an e-mail to say kits are in stock, and complete pennys to come shortly:

http://www.unicycle.uk.com/penny-farthing/complete-penny-s.html

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Penny farthing’ is closed to new replies.