Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Which hobby bandsaw?
  • castanea
    Free Member

Doing a bit more woodwork recently. Made some new scales for a couple of knives and had a go at a chopping board out of some pippy elm we cut. It wasn’t great tbh.

Saw some videos of a benchtop band saw and decided that’s what I need. To cut blanks and rough out the curves etc. Anyone got one or can recommend one? Not looking to spend more than £200 really.

benji
    Free Member

I bought the little clarke item from machine mart during one of their vat free sales, it’s done good service cutting all sorts from wood to carbon fibre.

castanea
    Free Member

I bought the little clarke item from machine mart during one of their vat free sales, it’s done good service cutting all sorts from wood to carbon fibre.

I had a wee look at that one a while ago when I was in machine mart, looked good. Did you change the blade on it or are you just using the original. Have heard that TuffSaws make blades for woodworking that really improve performannce of any of the smaller bandsaws.

The other two I had looked at were the Sealey 200mm and the Scheppach Basa 1. Anyone used either of these?

gobuchul
    Free Member

Never used any but this seems to be a really good price for this Record Power BS250.

Didn’t realise that you get bandsaws that cheap!

benji
    Free Member

I have changed the blade but only for different teeth count, and the carbon fibre destroys blades.

br
    Free Member

I bought a cheap (sub £200) a few years ago, and when I next need one (new project) I’ll buy a decent one…

castanea
    Free Member

B_r – What was it about your machine that makes you say that. Cutting speed? Or accuracy? or power? Or just general flimsy design and non replaceable components.

Gobuchul – That Record looks good, although a little more expensive, the spec seems to claim its a proper machine. I’ve got a few planes and vice that is record, both of which have stood the test of time well.

oldschool

Welshfarmer was/is selling one in another thread. May be worth a look.

finishthat
    Free Member

Thats a great deal on the Record Pawer bs250 – 5 year warranty too , you are unlikely to regret spending the extra – if funds allow that is what I would get.
    the Basa saws have a reputation of being better that the basic budget saws.
    Tuffsaws for blades definitely . Try to avoid the cheapest new saws.
    Avoid anything with 3 wheels – they can be pigs to setup – luckily s/h only mow.

I have an Inca bandsaw – only available s/h – swiss – superb.

Any new saw will need setting up/adjusting – youtube – watch some videos of setup/test – get everything square and the guides adjusted – then with a decent Tuffsaws blade you are sorted.
    Go to the ukworkshop forum for research.

finishthat
    Free Member

+ whatever you get – wax the table with non silicone wax

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Katie has a Record on a moveable base (so bigger than you’re looking at). Great but has had trouble finding blades that fit – Axminster’s are meant to fit but don’t fit properly. Customer service was really good – sent her a new tensioner when she was having trouble, no questions asked.

finishthat
    Free Member

http://tuffsaws.co.uk/ any size made to measure and cheaper – with a great reputation.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Which hobby bandsaw?’ is closed to new replies.