Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Which Headset press
  • deano8
    Free Member

Looking at the X tools and Cyclus ones as they are cheaper at £40
    I would like it to be compatable with fitting pressfit bottom brackets, pf30 /bb30
    Headset into my Enduro
    Will these work?
    Which one is better?
    Are there any other options other than the homemade option?
    Advice appreciated 🙂

wwaswas

I had to get some extra fittings to use a Cyclus press with larger head tubes (ie most modern bottom cups). You could probably source appropriately sized thick washers for most bearing/shell sizes though.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

rose bikes have the cycle with the large cups – couldn’t find it in the UK so had to buy from those pesky Germans 🙁

https://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/cyclus-headset-press-tool/aid:22688

It is good quality and very heavy duty – think it’s better than the x-tools one based on other x-tools stuff I have used.

Can’t see why the larger one can’t be used for 1-1/8th as well, but I have tried it as I now have both sizes.

rocketman
    Free Member

Have fitted a variety of headsets with the X-tools press. It’s a blunt instrument but it does the job. The adaptors don’t need to be that accurate the headset goes in very easily.

mindmap3
    Free Member

Can’t fault the Cyclus tool having had one for a while now.

I’ve managed to press in 1 1/2 cups with the 1 1/8 version without issue. I think it’s better than the cheapy Park tool at the same price; I found that the lack of an insert that fitted into the headset cups infuriating.

austy
    Free Member

I have the unior press, got it off amazon, it’s a bit more than your budget, but helped fit tapered headsets and a friends pressfit bottom bracket and feels quality too when applying pressure spinning easily.

nbt

Home made for me. Made 2 for a tenner – length of 8mm threaded rod, pack of nuts and a few washers. Cut the rod in half and split the nuts and washers between the two

Make sure you get nice thick washers, or use a piece of wood with a hole drilled, to prevent washers bending

one issue though is that you need to be careful with getting the press straight, as it’s a flat fitting it doesn;t “seat” into the bearing

Yak

x-tools one for me. Works fine and seats into most cups.

deano8
    Free Member

Thank you for your replies:)

scaredypants

I’ve got a unior one too – very heavy and seems well-engineered. Probably overkill for the odd headset, though I’ve lent mine out a lot and done pressfit BBs etc too. I reckon that cheaper ones would do fine but I couldn’t find one that did bigger diameters when I bought mine (about £65 IIRR but was quite a while ago)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Which Headset press’ is closed to new replies.