Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • PSA: BBC4 @ 9 – Evil Knievel
  • binners

looks like an interesting documentery on the loon

With entire channels now devoted to dangerous sports, it seems unthinkable that the most celebrated stuntsmith of all began daredevilry as a gimmick for a motorcycle dealer. After Bob Knievel spent his formative years as a safecracker, conman and insurance salesman, his reckless showmanship ultimately led to his fortune. He found fame at a time when America needed distracting from itself, and the tale of Knievel’s transformation from scoundrel to petrol-powered Elvis is as compelling as his stunts.

senorj

Ta v much.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Already on reminder, ta though.

chakaping
    Free Member

muchas gracias

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

Been looking forward to this

senorj

9 pm!!!

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

Yes 9PM!!!

binners

Oops. Sorry! Corrected 😳

senorj

It’s ok, I stuck a video in,while I watch Liverpool .:-)

chakaping
    Free Member

A gold-plated motorbike in a room full of cash?

Watch and learn, Puff Diddy.

Pook

perhaps i’m just a bit young, being born in 81. Evel Knievel was still very much a ‘presence’ then, but doesn’t he just seem like a bit of an arsehole?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Crazy Man, crazy programme.

I grew up in the States during the late 70’s an early 80’s so EK formed part of my childhood. There really was a huge amount of respect for him during that period, odd to think even though he crashed so often most forget his wealth and spending habits.
    I too spent loads of time riding bikes pulling wheelies, and jumping off silly 6 inch ramps, only to crash and burn on the road outside our house. Me and my then mate Randy used to ride around with capes over our shoulders and buy all the toys.
    When you’re a kid you block out all the media about his wealth, his misdemeanors, his womanising and his sheer arrogance and remember him for only one thing..
    That failed canyon jump.
    Oh how I remember watching it on TV, gripped to the sofa whilst Mom talked loudly about all the ruckus in the background, which I never noticed.

I was an odd era. Vietnam coming to a close and EK jumping motorbikes.

chakaping
    Free Member

I don’t think there’s any disputing that he was a bit of an arsehole.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Was it only in America that no one questioned the jump suit and cape thing?

LapSteel
    Free Member

Greatest toy ever….if you grew up in’t 70’s

thepurist

Lapsteel that toy crashed really well too, just like the real deal. I’d never realised the whole other side to that canyon jump.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Certainly an eye opener. What a prick.

Had the toy, was utterly awesome.

Chest_Rockwell
    Free Member

Could’ve done without the Knoxville self promotion but it was quite interesting hour and a half of telly.

senorj

That toy was the best toy in the world ,ever.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘PSA: BBC4 @ 9 – Evil Knievel’ is closed to new replies.