Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Which Garmin mount for MTB?
  • chakaping
    Free Member

The supplied O-rings method doesn’t seem secure enough, so I’m wondering what others are using for their Garmins?

Up to now I’ve had it in a pocket or backpack, but would like to try out some offroad route-planning.

🙂

Dango
    Free Member

Barfly 3

TheGingerOne

Tate Labs The Bar Fly 3.0 MTB Black works fine for me

thomthumb
    Free Member

The supplied O-rings method doesn’t seem secure enough,

they’re fine

MSP

I got a few of these for my bikes

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GARMIN-EDGE-BIKE-COMPUTER-BRACKET-GPS-HANDLEBAR-MOUNT-BRACKET-ROAD-BICYCLE-/141375351567?pt=UK_SportGoods_CyclAcces_RL&hash=item20eaa0ab0f

On the mountain bikes I reverse them and have the garmin mounted over the stem so its out of the way in case of a crash.

frogstomp

O-rings are fine (for a 500 at least, not sure about the bigger / heavier ones), Bar Fly is finer!

njee20
    Free Member

SRAM Quickview mounts are good – like a reverse ‘out front’ to put the unit on top of the stem. Works with my Edge 1000, which is the size of a small laptop!

stumpy01

Used o-rings for at least 2 years. Never had a problem.

2 of my mates use them as well and don’t think they’ve had any issues either.

chakaping
    Free Member

I dropped an O-ring on first ride, after I nudged the Garmin and it rotated. Anyway, they don’t really let me put it in a suitable spot (I have a 45mm stem).

Think they have the Bar Fly at my LBS so I’ll check it out, the backwards “out front” idea looks like the way to go.

akak
    Free Member

K-edge stem mount. Very tidy.

euain

O-rings work for me.

Sometimes it would rotate on the bumpy stuff so that the unit ended up under the bars but I put a zip tie round the o-rings (kind of under the mount) to firm things up. It’s not shifted in the 2 months of so since.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Barfly 3 and a RaceWare Direct Stem Mount on (fits under top cap)

njee20
    Free Member

Only downside I’ve found of the Quickview is if you have a lot of spacers on top of the stem – 10mm seems fine, any more is a problem.

I’ve seen K-edge ones wear the tabs on the back of the unit itself, put me off a bit.

akak
    Free Member

My k-edge ones have a plastic insert so not an issue there I think.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

O-rings are fine on 100mm+ stems, otherwise I’ve a barfly mount.

Considdered the backwards mounts, but would rather have it out front so that in a crash it would rotate under the bats rather than getting caught between a rock and the stem/bike.

NormalMan

The older k edge ones were bare metal and I took mine back because it started to damage my Garmin but now they have a plastic insert. Although hard to justify the price over the Superstar one my dad has IMHO.

I like the SRAM reverse one on my MTB but official Garmin out in front on the road bike.

daftvader
    Free Member

i have had some issues with the o rings and now use zip ties…

Weasel
    Free Member

I managed to snap the tabs off my Edge 500 using both the o-ring mounts and the SRAM mount in reverse. Replaced both times under warranty, but now using a 310XT which is more suited to my needs

SamB
    Free Member

I used o-rings on mine with no problems. Stem was too short though so it gets mounted on the bars, just to the left of the stem (same place as it lives when it’s on my road bike).

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I have a Superstar mount in blue for sale if you’re interested. Superstar are out of stock

hatter

K-edge stem spacer mount with plastic insert all the way, super tidy and with a much more positive ‘click’ than the Superstar which I’m not sure I’d trust it to hang on.

Scrimping to save £10 when buying a mount for a £400 GPS seems somewhat counter productive IMHO.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Edit. Sorry. This was turning into a for sale as by me. I’ll slap my own wrist…

TiRed

K-Edge, without the adjustable reach. New ones have plastic insert, but my three alloy ones have yet to wear any of my three Garmins.

cp

O rings fine for me, stem mounted on 75mm stem.

Edit – garmin 800

simondbarnes

Sram mtb one on the mtb & cross biukes, Sram out fronts on the road bikes. So much nicer than the stupid o-ring mounts and pretty cheap.

ratherbeintobago

K-Edge apparently about to launch a steerer cap mount:

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Which Garmin mount for MTB?’ is closed to new replies.