Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Which Exposure Light? Advice from users please.
  • beamers

Afternoon all.

I'm keen to purchase a light from the Exposure range, for use during 24hr races as a member of a team, not solo, and also for use on the road.

What do people recommend?

Ta in advance.

gee
    Free Member

I've had an Enduro Maxx and a Joystick for 2 years. They're brilliant. The ultimate would be a new MaxxD and a Joystick with White Light extra bulb bit. Brilliant piece of kit.

GB

AndyF1
    Free Member

I was out last night with a Toro on the bars and a helmet mounted Joystick..impressive stuff.

lorax

Tell me more about the Toro please – it looks very appealing!

AndyF1
    Free Member

The LBS has the whole Exposure range for demo,i fancied the Diablo at first,but the limited burn time of about an hour on full whack put me off a little,so i gave the Toro a trip out around the hit the north route. Two and a half hours later and it was still on full output. Very well made and no cables. The mounting bracket is simple and effective.

bobster
    Free Member

Depends if you want bar mount or helmet mount.

Having seen a Diablo in use on the lid, it's very tempting with a triple cell to boost run time. I want to try this out and see if I prefer it to running the Maxx-D I have on the bars at the moment, or maybe have both!

trail_rat
    Free Member

rocking a Maxx D and joystick with a 3 cell back up at the moment.

My view is that an enduro Maxx and a joystick would be a more money worthy option imho….

I find the full power on the maxx D with the joystick is just over kill , but perhaps thats just because im coming from dinotte 200ls

But it does get you noticed by cars ill tell you that.

run time i flicked between low and medium at relentless on the maxx D and left the joystick on full belt all night and managed to sun rise without charging.

Run time i

beamers

Thanks for the feedback thus far – keep it coming.

topangarider
    Free Member

Not sure about the range, but I like a wide beam on the bars and a piercing beam on me head.

Use ay-ups tho myself.

AJ
    Free Member

just back from using my enduro/joystick combo v-good
    Oh tough too as halfway home the enduro fell off my roof (where i put it while putting bike on roof) doing 40mph, there's some pretty deep scratches in the alloy but its still working fine.

iainc

I like a wide beam on the bars and a piercing beam on me head.

Use ay-ups tho myself.

I quite agree – I have Ayups and a Joystick 2 as helmet lights and am always dissapointed when using the Joystick in comparison. I have a Hope 4 on the bars too right enough…

Where the Joystick really excels is on the rides in spring and autumn where i just need a light for the last half hour or so; i can have the helmet mount in place and the light in my pocket or pack and just click it on when needed. It's also a great light as a bar mount on the road

AndyF1
    Free Member

The joystick can`t cut it on its own in the woods or out on the rough stuff at any kind of speed. Money no object? Maxx d on the bars and Diablo with piggy back batteries on the lid.

monkeyp

Maxx-D and a Fenix on the lid is my combo and it is excellent.

The Maxx-D is too wide for on road though – however, I do use it for my 45 mile round trip commute and it does get you noticed. Even on the low setting I fear it is a bit dazzling on pitch dark roads. I suggested to Exposure at the ELBNO that some kind of snap-on diffuser with sideways lighting ports would be a cool addition to the range.

I may knock one up on the rapid prototype machine at work.

samuri
    Free Member

I have the enduro. Superb. Brilliant (sic) for the road, people see you a mile off and always dip their lights with it on flashing and it litererally will last weeks if you just use the flashing option before you have to recharge. Offroad, it's a LED so the spread isn't brilliant but it's a nice focussed beam and battery life is very impressive.

I went out for a road ride last night and managed to get up to 47mph down a twisty unlit country road using this light.

My only gripe was the cost of the bar mount.

woffle
    Free Member

I use a Maxx-D for my commute – 20 miles each way on dark country roads and it does the job fantastically, I can't say I agree with it being too dazzling except when it's really wet and you get reflected light off the road, or in fog where you need to run it on low otherwise it's just glare. Last winter I ran a joystick on the helmet too when the weather got really grim.

firestarter
    Free Member

ive just upgraded my enduro turbo and joystick to a hope vision 4 and a joystick 2. I would have gone for a maxx d but got offered the hope for 125 so couldnt refuse it. Excellent back up from use too.

crazy-legs

I got a Diablo just recently, first impressions are good. The low burn time on full beam is a bit of a downer but at the moment I'm only using it for commuting and I only need full beam for the last half on canal towpaths so it's OK. I think if/when I'm doing 24hr races next year I'll get a piggyback battery for it or possibly get a bar mounted light and just use the Diablo on medium (still plenty bright enough).

thefallguy
    Free Member

MaxxD on the bars and a P7 torch on my helmet is a great combo. I had a vision 4 and swapped to a MaxxD no real difference in performance but much neater IMO. P7 is as bright as the MaxxD as it's got a more focused centre spot, perfect for the twisty bits!

chunkypaul
    Free Member

crazylegs – do you know the output of the diablo in its three hour setting?

i e-mailed exposure a couple of weeks ago and do not get a response

matthewlhome
    Free Member

the blurb says that it is about the same as a joystick. which lasts 3 hours on full power.

roadrunner4
    Free Member

I've just demoed an Exposure Maxx-D and a Toro. The Maxx-d weighed 329g and the Toro weighed 258g on my scales (both with clamps). At first I couldn't tell the difference and was impressed with both (I've been using just an exposure joystick on my handlebars).
    As time went on and my eyes adjusted, I tried switching them on individually for comparison.
    On highest setting to me they both have the same distance illumination, the maxx-d has a slightly wider spread of light with a more blue tint compared to a yellower one for the toro.
    With them both on the low setting the maxx-d is definitely brighter. I would be happy with both, but I think the maxx-d has the edge on performance, but not price or weight.
    The maxx-d has 4 seoul p4 leds and the toro has 1 seoul p7 led. Does anyone know if there are any pitfalls with p4's or p7's.
    Now if they did a maxx-d with 4 seoul p7's that would be impressive!

crazy-legs

crazylegs – do you know the output of the diablo in its three hour setting?

Sorry, only just seen your question now the thread has been bumped…
    About 300 lumens on mid setting, it's bright enough for reasonably brisk towpath riding and similar not-too-tech trails but I wouldn't like to do a lap of SITS or something with just the Diablo headtorch on medium (high would be fine though), however it's great for commuting, even on the low power setting and it's a perfect back up for a bar mounted set of lights.

giantjason
    Free Member

I have an Enduro for the bars and Joystick for the helmet. More than enough light for night riding. I also have a piggy cell battery for the longer night rides when a little extra run time is required.

I think a Maxx-D and Joystick would be overkill and the extra cost would not be worth it.

I love the cable free design and simplicity of the fixing bracket.

shortcut

Running Maxx D on the bars and four4th one the helmet.

Both are great and the combo of head and bar lights really has brought my night riding up a rung.

Maxx D is good and has been on my bike for all night rides at least 1 usually 2 a week for over a year with no problems.

MarginWalker
    Free Member

Sorry to dig up an old thread but I'm trying to get some info on the exposure light range. I'm planning on buying a Diablo and MaxxD for 3 hour + night rides. I was hoping I could run the Diablo on full power if I used a triple piggyback cell, though I recently read a review saying the triple piggyback fits into a pocket or camelbak – does anyone know if these can be mounted to the Diablo on the helmet?

valleydaddy
    Free Member

I run a joystick2 on the helmet and a enduromaxx2 on bars and find them awesome, plenty of light for me.

some friends use ay-ups which are unbelieveably good – like a car head light!!

others use the 900 lumin dx light and that is really good too

but exposure for me win as no cables (apart from piggy back of course)

knott4me
    Free Member

monkeyp i bet they loved you

deluded
    Free Member

I use a Joystick on me head, which is a superb commute light and accompaniment to a main bar mounted light for night trail riding.

PikeBN14
    Free Member

MarginWalker = I think you'd start to notice the weight, the triple cells aren't that small or light (excuse the pun!)

will2468
    Free Member

Hello, sorry to dig up an old thread again. But does any one know whether I can use a piggy back cell and white light with my exposure joystick ? Thanks

Daffy

I run a Maxx-D on the bars and a Diablo on my helmet.

For road or commuting, he diablo is VASTLY superior to either a single or even twin Joysticks as it's more visble from the sides with a better beam pattern.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Which Exposure Light? Advice from users please.’ is closed to new replies.