Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Which double cab van?
  • backinireland
    Free Member

Thinking Mercedes vito sport
    VW?
    Any suggestions, experiences?

backinireland
    Free Member

Anyone?

ElShalimo

My brother has a LWB Renault Trafic Crew Cab, about 3 years old so not the latest model. As a van it’s great, carries 5 easily, the front double seat is a bit crap unless you’re sharing with an umpa-lumpa its not a 6 man bus for long runs.
    It’s fast, easy to drive, comfy and fairly good on diesel for its size.
    IMO its a lot nicer to drive than a T5, nicer than a Transit too. On a recent overnight drive from Derbyshire to St Anton for a weekend skiing, it just cruised at 90 most of the way there.
    The van bit at the back isn’t huge but no small crew cab is, there is storage under the 2nd row of seats for lond items

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Budget and age?
    How many seat, how much storage?

I have a Vito, love it but want something newer, currently considering a T5 Kombi for a change. I’m looking at 5 seats with the back 3 removable for best passenger comfort and occasional rear seat use. VWs much more expensive but resale seems better too.

Just been to the Alps in a LWB Vito Sport. 5 of us, 4 DH bikes, 5 trail bikes, kit and spare wheels all fitted! Was surprisingly roomy, very comfy in the back seats, lovely van. Thirsty.

Older (2006/2009) Vito’s get low 30s to the gallon. Might have got better…

schmiken

I have a SWB crew cab Vivaro and we love it. Usable as an only car, have done long journeys with 6 in without any problems.

Drives very well, bit noisy and gets mid 30s on fuel economy. The wife even said that she wished we’d got one years ago!

spooky_b329

ST towers weren’t keen on the Vito were they?

I’d probably go for a Transit Custom if they do a double cab version.

hammerite
    Free Member

We have a LWB Vivaro doublecab. Decided on getting one from new as even with a load of extras it cost a lot less than a Vito or Transporter. Very comfortable to drive and as a passenger, goes very well.

This summer we did a trip through France, across the top of Italy, through Austria, Germany, Luxembourg and Belgium. No trouble at all.

scotroutes

Another LWB Trafic owner here. I looked at the Crew Cab variants but decided I preferred the flexibility of being able to remove the passenger seats. With some good insulation it’s remarkably quiet. I can get 40+ mpg on a good
    run. It drives well and I prefer it to a car.

backinireland
    Free Member

Would be to replace a landrover discovery 3 so anything prob better fuel economy
    Budget about 15k
    SWB preferably

womble72
    Free Member

I went from a Discovery3 to a 2013 Vito Sport, never looked back. It’s faster, much faster than the Disco, granted not as luxurious as the Disco but does everything I want and the running costs are cheaper

backinireland
    Free Member

how many bikes can you get in the back of a swb vito?
    wheels on or do they need taken off?

pictures would be great

thanks

gravity-slave
    Free Member

SWB Vito panel van with no seats in the back – loads! In my van I put a bike in lengthways with wheels on no problem, have done 8 with a couple of wheels off I think.

Just picked up a T5 Kombi and it’s awesome. First ride yesterday, 5 guys, front wheels off, 5 big bikes across the way behind the 2nd row of seats. That included some long slack bikes, a couple of 29ers and all with wide bars.
    For an Alps trip, bars off, loads of bikes would fit, but that’s too much faff for a short drive.
    I think a fully built bike or two will go diagonal behind the 2nd row. Not tried yet, only had it a day!

Vito is a bit wider than the T5 so bikes should fit across the way easily.

(’56 plate Vito van for sale, by the way, could be converted to have 2nd row)

I’ll see if I can get some loaded pics.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Which double cab van?’ is closed to new replies.