Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Which clipless pedals for an 8 year old?
  • Filthy
    Free Member

The boy has been doing closed circuit road racing for a couple of years, now he's after his first pair of clipless pedals.

Question is which ones are suitable, I was thinking crank bros candys or eggbeaters as the're easy to get out of… any suggestions?

gojo
    Free Member

I like Shimano M520 – cheap, and adjustable so you can start off with them really loose and then tighten them up as you want when you get used to them

surfer
    Free Member

Egg beaters are good and CRC were doing them with cleats for £20 recently, not sure if they still are.

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

520s if you ask me – cheap, adjustable, and have a very positive click in, unlike Crank Bros.

And they're usually about 20, and they will last forever.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Are you sure it is a good idea using clipless at that age, whilst their bones etc are still developing? Not dissing the idea, just thinking out loud.

Filthy
    Free Member

No I'm not 100% sure but his mates are using them and I use them… hence he wants some too. The wife was a bit concerned about him falling off aswell.

Thats why I was asking on here, really wanted some that he was unlikely to get stuck in and could unclip easily enough.

jonathan
    Free Member

I'd go for something you can adjust the release tension on – so Shimano then. Should be no different to anyone else learning to use them. My wife was very wary of them, started on Shimanos set loose and progressed to higher release tensions on those and then to Times.

Of course you won't get the float with Shimanos that you might with Crank Bros or Times.

leelovesbikestoo
    Free Member

I would think twice mate – I started using clipless at 16 (16 years ago) and have dodgy knees now!

If you do go for lots of float like TIMEs…

Coleman
    Free Member

Another vote for M520's here. Cheap as chips, adjustable and plenty of float. My 13 year old has been racing cross and road with them for a couple of years and gets on with them fine.

PS. Liking your TCX2 on the other thread.

neninja
    Free Member

I would take advice from a medical expert in this field. I think that soft growing bones and cartilage are likely to get damaged especially knee joints if there isn't a huge amount of float.

Also kids have less of a sense of self preservation so are more likely to fall off so again clipless are more likely to cause problems.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Which clipless pedals for an 8 year old?’ is closed to new replies.