Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Which bike to commute on, drops or flat bar?
  • Barney_McGrew
    Free Member

I’m considering another bike for commuting and bad weather road miles.
    At the moment I have a Scandium framed Ribble road bike which, if I’m honest I’ve never really gotten on with as I feel it’s just a little too small for me. I’ve also got a Planet X SL Pro RED but I’d rather not use in crappy weather and ruin the nice groupset.
    My most recent train of thought is to sell the Ribble (have a couple of guys wanting it) and buy a Boardman hybrid. My commute is 15miles each way with a decent climb in the middle.
    My question is this, would going from a light, dropbar road bike to a slightly more cumbersome bike such as the Boardman have that much of an impact over such a short distance? Would the trade off of comfort be worth the loss of speed?
    I’d be interested in your thoughts/opinions.

Paul.

bristolbiker
    Free Member

My commute is 15miles each way

… over such a short distance?

15 miles each way is pretty serious if you’re intending to do it every day – must be the best part of an hour each way?

How about an Alfine’d Pompetamine – have the choice of flats or drops, with the potential to change from one to the other. TBH, I’d go with drop bars, but raised up a little compared to a fully ‘slammed’ road race setup to allow more comfort and ease of looking around.

djglover
    Free Member

I used to commute on a Condor Fratello, but it was a bit too nice so now I use a langster. The route is 13 miles and fairly flat, and drops are more important than gears for getting out of the wind.

As above the langsters bars are a bit higher than my road bike which is working out pretty well

molgrips
    Free Member

If it were me – flats for urban riding, drops for a higher percentage of open roads.

I tried to convert my Kona Dew to drops but the results were so poor I put it back. Just didn’t feel right with the riding position – too high, not like a road bike, and the canti brakes I had to use were awful.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

For me flats / risers always – far more comfy especially with the wider tyres of an mtb / hybrid

MSP

molegrips +1

drops for open/quiet roads, flats for urban traffic dodging.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

For me, I prefer drops – often narrower than the narrowest of flats, so you can filter through tiny gaps. Way more hand positions, so much comfier, and you can get down out of the wind too.

Something that fits though, is always going to be better than a bike that dosn’t.

Gary_M
    Free Member

20 mile each way commute here and used a flat bar bike once and wouldn’t do it again. Drop bar all the way, easier to get out of the wind, better for climbing, different hand positions, etc.

njee20
    Free Member

A proper road bike for me all the way. Not quite sure why you’d want to go to a hybrid, what don’t you like about commuting on a road bike? You say you don’t like the Ribble, why not just get a cheaper road bike, rather than a hybrid?

jonba
    Free Member

If it is stop start with lights, obsticals and junctions then I’d go for flats. If it is open road then drops.

You could set up the bikes so the drops are fairly high, morre like cross or touring bikes than road racing. Equally if you went for flats you could get some fairly narrow ones run a long low stem and put bar ends on.

FWIW I do 6 miles through newcastle city centre and along the river and have risers (because they were spare) cut down to about 600mm and set low.

Barney_McGrew
    Free Member

The route is actually 13 miles, give or take ( 😳 sorry ) and is mainly open road. It usually takes me 45-50 mins there and 40 mins homeward (I don’t like hills 😀 ) I just thought, be it rightly or wrongly that the flat bar would be more comfortable, something I’d be willing to sacrifice 5 or 10 mins on the road for. I’d also be using it for the trip to the local supermarket (7 miles away) with my trailer. Again, my thoughts were that the Boardman would be better for this and perhaps a little more durable than the likes of a tourer?
    Ultimately I’m looking to pay for one by selling the other so in the scheme of things it shouldn’t cost me (much) money to try it out.

Bregante

I used to have a spesh tricross with a set of second brake levers on the tops. Best of both worlds
    😀

fasthaggis

How about these?

Everyone rides on the hoods these days anyway 😉

loddrik
    Free Member

I use risers with stubbies, drop bars are utterly ridiculous.

john_l
    Free Member

My commute’s between 13 & 25 miles each way through the Sussex lanes, depending on which way I go. Done it on a variety of bikes over the years – Ribble winter roadie, fixie, mtb, ‘cross bike & now on a flat barred Road Rat.

The Ribble was fastest, (marginally quicker than the fixie) the ‘cross bike funnest (over the South Downs) but the Road Rat is the most practical. Long & low, with bar ends it’s still quite aggressive but its also got a rack/panniers making it useful for everyday living as well.

njee20
    Free Member

I use risers with stubbies, drop bars are utterly ridiculous.

Why?

joemarshall
    Free Member

I’d also be using it for the trip to the local supermarket (7 miles away) with my trailer. Again, my thoughts were that the Boardman would be better for this and perhaps a little more durable than the likes of a tourer?

I’ve towed a child trailer with a flat barred bike and a drop barred road bike – on the road, every time it is much better on the road bike.

Your average touring bike is overbuilt for most road commuting, can’t really see any point in not having drop bars on the road. Even in cities, the only reason I’d not want drop bars is if I was jumping off things or riding down steps or whatever.

binners

I never thought I’d say this, having only recently returned to road bikes, but its drops every time.

My commute is 15 miles each way. Though I’ve 3 proper climbs. Being able to get down on the drops on the descents makes a big difference. You feel like a sail otherwise

Barney_McGrew
    Free Member

Hmm,
    A bit of a mix but drops seem to have it. I may need to have a rethink and look towards a road/tourer bike that fits a bit better.
    My wife rides this:

So I might take it out a couple of times to get an idea although I’d imagine it’s a bit more upright than the likes of the Boardman.

cupra
    Free Member

I used to use flats but now it’s drops all the way. There is no correct answer except what works for you.

mashiehood
    Free Member

i have to admit, i swapped the drops to flats with bar ends for my commuter, just ‘felt’ better when navgating through traffic jams in the city.

BUT drop bars anyday for open country road riding.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Flats for me.

Stuey01
    Free Member

If I were buying a boardman for a commute it would be the new CX one with drops and cable discs and tabs for mudguards.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I found if they’re both setup right it doesn’t make a very big difference either in terms of comfort or speed. Put bar ends on the flat bars though.

mashiehood
    Free Member

i only put bar ends on my flat bar commuter last week – cant believe the difference it makes – transformed my commute.

Barney_McGrew
    Free Member

In what way mashie?

muddydwarf
    Free Member

I have the Boardman hybrid. It’s quite long and low so you can get a fair turn of speed on for a hybrid bike. No, you’re not going to be as aerodynamic as on a road bike but the set up is ideal for commuting i reckon. I put Hope Mini’s on and it’s now a pretty much ride and forget bike as far as maintainance goes. It comes with 28mm tyres so comfy on broken, urban roads as well.
    Actually use mine more for general road riding as my commute is only a couple of miles so i use my Carrera subway for commuting duties.

Think i have too many bikes…

Riofer
    Free Member

I’ve got a flat barred Roadrat for sale if you interested, great for commuting.

smell_it
    Free Member

I ride from quiet roads into the centre of manchester each day on my commute, about 14 miles each way on a road bike, 25mm tyres and drops. Each to their own, but I can’t see why I would want flat bars.

carbon337
    Free Member

35 miles each way for me once a week, 15 miles each way once a week and a 10 mile each day the other day.

Every time its on a 23mm tyre Bianchi Road bike. Comfy enough and fast. On the long rides i carry nothing but on the short one i use a rucksack and leave clothes in the office for the other 2 days.

The drops help on those wide country roads when the wind is up sit at 20mph averages maybe 21 on the shorter days.

edhornby

drops for me too on my fixed commuter, when there is full on snow I use the mountain bike and it’s just not as comfy as a set of drops

cynic-al
    Free Member

TJ the guy already rides drops so perhaps your advice is irrelevant?

Drops for me over that distance.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I commute 13 miles each way up to 4 days a week on my Ridgeback Flite flat barred hybrid, big slacker than my road bike, 28mm tyres and disc brakes.

Still manage to do it in 45mins Inc a fair portion through central londinium. Wouldn’t fancy it on drops to be fair

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Which bike to commute on, drops or flat bar?’ is closed to new replies.