Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)
  • Which apps/games for iphone?
  • P20

Hi. Wheres the best place to get the screen covers for the iphone? What apps/games etc would you recommend for it. Its the 3gs if that makes any difference.

Cheers

samuri
    Free Member

game of the moment has to be Flight Control but a select list of some of mine

TVGuide
    Peggie
    Flood it
    Draw Race
    Ragdoll
    Net Utility
    Quickpedia
    Cambio
    BookZ
    Sonic1
    Last.fm
    touchterm
    rdp
    wifififum
    Bskies

z1ppy

Games:
    Worms is as good as the original, but I'm still crap at it… even managed to kill all my own team on a practise game (where you are the only active player)
    Terminator Salvation – I only played the lite version but that impressive
    enough.
    Fun but not too serious:
    Galcon lite
    Blowfish
    Packet God
    :shift lite
    Archibald lite
    Lightbike (tron game)

Apps:
    Weatherbug
    Traffic info
    GPS lite (might buy this, as it's pretty good)
    TV Guide

Have lots of other but those are the main one I use.
    (also click on the iphone tag above to see other threads like this)

MrBlond
    Free Member

Grinder – according to Stephen Fry

willard

Games:

Zombieville USA
    Tetris
    iShoot (Scorched Earth clone)
    Paper Toss
    Maybe the new Civilisation game, but I haven't played that yet. I should do really and will probably end up buying before I go to the US.

Apps:

AroundMe
    GPSLite
    Facebook
    eBay
    Paypal
    Flickit (Flickr uploader if you use Flickr)
    Free RSS

Tube Delux is pretty cool, but not much use if you never go to London.
    I also have the 100 pressups app, but only because it's easier to use than the web page.

Oh, and Ballistic FTE, but I am guessing you don't need a mil-spec ballistics calculator…

flamejob
    Free Member

As far as games go you need Dropship (or Dropship Lite for the trial). Frenzic is also a great one for short puzzle games and is well produced.

Beatmaker is an amazing use of an iPhone from a creative music viewpoint, it's £11.99 is well worth it.

Gas Cubby (or Gas Cubby Lite) is a great app if you are an MPG freak, or just want to see how much you spend on fuel.

I also use Daylite Touch, but that is only useful if you use the OS X Daylite Application in your business; and the Ultralingua Collins Pro Spanish app. Those these apps are £40 and £15 respectively they have proved invaluable.

All the above apps are really good quality, non flaky offerings.

clubber
    Free Member

screen covers from ebay – got 6 for £3

Games – worms is great. Pac-man (lite) is good. The red bull air race is fun too.

Telegraph, Sky news, itn news, drawing board (good for taking quick sketches), google earth, blevelfree (spirit level – you can measure bike angles!), shazam (tells you what music is playing wherever you are), facebook.

For the bike – trail guru

tomzo
    Free Member

Paper Toss
    Tv Guide
    Facebook
    Ebay mobile
    Ebuddy
    Flashlight
    idaft
    Remote
    Touch Hockey

MrsToast
    Free Member

I'd recommend Droplitz. I'm possibly slightly biased though…

willard

Explain yourself Mrs. Toast!

Did you write it?

P20

Cheers guys. Lots to have a look at. Is there an equivalent of Nokia sportstracker? (forgot to put that in the opening post) 😳

flamejob
    Free Member

PS

Screen protectors are not only a waste of money, but they also change the lovely tactility of the glass.

That whole screen protector culture came from plastic cell phone screens. I have had mine since the day the iPhone came out in the UK and it is still near perfect, despite several nasty scrapes (read: skating across the Hammersmith roundabout etc)

MrsToast
    Free Member

Explain yourself Mrs. Toast!

Did you write it?

I am shocked and offended at that insinuation!

*cough* was on design team *cough*

Quite a few nice little games on ze iPod, plus if you get the Scumm emulator you can play a lot of the classic LucasArts point and click adventures, like Monkey Island, Sam and Max, and Full Throttle.

GrahamS

What's everyone's best scores on Flight Control then?

My missus is totally obsessed by it. Her best (on the original airport) is 600-and-something. She plays it on fast-forward most of the time, because otherwise "it's too slow".

I think I may have married RainMan. 😯

Milkie
    Free Member

Is there an equivalent of Nokia sportstracker?

TrailGuru, iMapMyRide/iMapMyRun, GPSLite, B.iCycle.. And many more I cannot remember.

fubar
    Free Member

Just got mine but 'Flight Control' is a great game.
    'GridPoint GB' might be useful (and free)- gives your current position in OS format…only any use if you have paper map with you but good for the odd position check.

Going to look at the Sky remote record thing next.

CountZero

WeatherPro, Stanza/EReader, iCarRadio, (I listen to BBC 6 Music with this one at work), Wordbook, Wikiamo, Bike Gears…

clubber
    Free Member

but they also change the lovely tactility of the glass.

Didn't have any effect that I could notice on mine. You're probably right about whether it's really necessary though.

WackoAK
    Free Member

what's the iphone like when using apps like trailguru etc when you have the phone in your bag – can it still get a good signal??

bigrich

doom is fun

cp

the screen protector on mine is actually really very good – honestly no different to using the glass. it came with a very thin clear plastic hard shell which does a good job or protection – was 25 quid from an apple shop, but certainly does the trick, and WAY better than the cheap protectors on my mates phone.

fbk
    Free Member

Yep – def agree with cp re the screen protector. The one that came with my iClear comes packaged so it's easy to get on without any bubbles and I honestly haven't noticed the difference as regards functionality of the screen.

I don't care if I don't need one – the fact that I've paid £200 for something that relies on a functioning screen makes me keen to protect it 🙂

tomzo
    Free Member

Meh, I scratched the glass on mine within two days of getting it-always sand in my pockets!! Also can recommend the iclear case here aswell!

robgray
    Free Member

Flight Control – worth the money – quite addictive
    I play Monopoly – for some reason I'm also addicted to that.
    Need for Speed is an incredibly designed game – best driving game and amazing graphics considering its on a phone.
    London Bus is the best transport app (well only really if you spend time in London)
    Network Rail app is useful but quite expensive. for me it's worth the £5 or whatever as it saves me time waiting around at a station for cancelled trains etc.
    idisk is useful if you're a Mac user (who uses iDisk on the Mac)
    Sky recorder app comes in handy every now and then
    Bloomberg app is useful if you're into that sort of thing
    Rightmove has a fantastic app

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

what's the iphone like when using apps like trailguru etc when you have the phone in your bag – can it still get a good signal?

Good question – I installed 'Trails Lite' and tried it at Penmachno yesterday. It was fantastic for the first 4 mins 30 secs (time/motion/ascent/descent with maps) then it stopped. Was it because the phone auto switched off? Was it because it had a bad signal (was in the pocket of my shorts in an old sock for protection). It would have been amazing if it worked – but if the phone needs to be fully on then it would be a non-starter as the battery would be flat in two hours.

doc_blues
    Free Member

stanza (makes a suprisingly good ebook reader)
    byline (rss feed from google reader to manage blogs)
    scicalc lite (scientific calculator)
    remember the milk (+ google mail plugin)
    wordpress
    evernote
    wifitrak
    tweetdeck

games:
    ragdoll blaster
    assasins creed

WackoAK
    Free Member

MF – I'll test it tonight, going to use the GPSLite app and check it everynow and then. It's only a 1hr40 route I'm doing so should be no issues with battery life.

And sticking on topic, "Paper Toss" is an outstanding way to waste hours with the phone.

Milkie
    Free Member

Civilization was released yesterday, and they are doing it for £2.99 (usually £6) for the first 48 hours. Wolfenstien RPG was also released this week.

z1ppy

the GPSLite app is also power hungry (obviously the GPS part), but I used it without issue for around 3hrs, in the depths of my backpack.

Anyone got tried a number of these utilities and decided which is best? As I'm thinking about paying for GPSlite.

cp

oh, good call on rightmove – I found and installed it yesterday – it's a really good app if you're interested in a new house!

richardk
    Free Member

Planets
    ChessFree
    Assassin's Creed
    BA Flights
    Cribbage Lite (pipe and slippers comes with the full version)
    WildWest Pinball
    Lyrical
    Instapaper
    nin:access
    Shakespeare

AlasdairMc

Tap Tap Revenge
    TV Guide
    iMapMyRide
    iHandy Level
    Telegraph
    Flight Control
    cs.one
    Stoneloops of Jurassica
    iDaft
    Top Gun
    Sky Voyager – was free a while back
    Stanza

GrahamS

Civilisation for the iPhone has just been released – looks good.

sv

itrail with the link to everytrail for uploading to. Nice stats + graphs on the phone. Tend to lose signal when in isolated spots eg mountains, forests you know places we go!

willard

Civ is going cheap?

Oh dear… more buying for me then.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

With these GPS apps, do you have to leave the phone on or can you switch it off (ie, press the button on the top right to make the screen go off)?

Puzzled as to why mine stopped working so quickly after trying it.

Flaperon

X-Plane. Full flight sim.

raddaz
    Free Member

you need to have the gps app running in the foreground or it stops working, so no, you cant switch it off. Trailguru has a lock facility that enables you to lock the screen and keep it running, although if you've jailbroken your iphone and installed sbsettings the trailguru lock screen doesn't function properly.

samuri
    Free Member

600 Graham? Cripes. I thought my 115 was good and the 200+ that people within five miles of me were getting.

How the hell does she do that? Must have a particularly clever system.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)

The topic ‘Which apps/games for iphone?’ is closed to new replies.