Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Which android phone to replace my 4S?
  • Mugboo

Sorry if it’s been done recently.

My iPhone battery is past it’s best and due to me not updating my iOS I’m occasionally finding apps that I can’t download. I use google for everything these days so Android makes sense.

I’m happy enough with the general performance but would like a better camera but I presume a newer phone will be an improvement?

GrahamS

Stick a new battery in it and update the OS? Probably the cheapest option.

cp

Budget?

Motorola moto g 3rd gen 16gb and moto x play seem to be the current go to without spending a fortune. Amazon for best price on both

Cougar

Sorry if it’s been done recently.

Only about twice a week for the last five years. Here’s the most recent:

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/phones-again-best-android-phone-under-150

midlifecrashes

My new Moto X Play seems excellent for battery and camera.

Mugboo

Graham, I’ve read that updating the iOS isn’t a good idea and I fancy something with an SD card. Budget wise, I don’t mind but I don’t mind but appreciate a mix of value & quality.

I’ve been looking at the Motorola’s and the Play sounded good but got a bad review for the camera indoors so maybe the Style?

GrahamS

Graham, I’ve read that updating the iOS isn’t a good idea

Reports vary – I’ve have a 4S running latest iOS just fine. Others reckon it’s like treacle. Could be worth trying even if just out of curiosity before you move to a new phone?

If nothing else it’ll give you a handy backup or Strava/Endomondo tracker.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I went from a 4s to a Moto G dual sim, then back to a 2x 4s’s as the Moto was sluggish to the point of annoyance.

Now got a Sony Xperia Z3 dual sim, well made up.

Loving the speed and the feel and the music player bit of it and the ability to walk in a 128gb memory card into it.

Mugboo

I think I’ll keep the 4S for riding as it has memory map installed and it’s way better than my Garmin etrex20 although not anything like as tough!

The wife has a compact Xperia 3 and she’s happy enough with that.

Midlifecrashes, how’s the camera indoors? It looks pretty good outdoors.

midlifecrashes

Seems fine to me, here’s a pic of a birthday cake in a dimly lit pub from last week.

Mugboo

Thank you, that looks good enough to me.

So that’s Moto X Play & Experia 3, any others?

Simon

Been really happy with my Xperia Z3 Compact.
    Camera is decent, it takes a memory card and it’s waterproof so I have no worries taking it biking etc.
    (Took all my photos on the last Lakes trip with it).

nickjb
    Free Member

My Xperia was very fragile. Screen cracked all by itself. Google “xperia self cracking screen” and it’s a common issue. Even featured on BBC watchdog. Sony are heavily in denial and even charge to tell you they won’t fix it under warranty. They are off my Christmas card list.

Mugboo

Hmm, self cracking, sounds nasty!

Simon, I’ve just been reading about the waterproofness, does it come with a plug for the headphone socket?

nickjb
    Free Member

The older Xperia had a bung, the newer ones are waterproof without it. Same for usb port so makes charging easier. That said waterproofing probably drops a little once the screen cracks 8)

cp

Don’t discount the moto g, the third gen 16gb is a very different beast to the previous models.

Mugboo

Thanks Nick & I’m not discounting anything CP.

woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

I replaced my iPhone 4s with an LG G4 for exactly the same reason as you.
    You can get them for £300 now. I’m very happy with it. Photos are really good. I haven’t really used the camera much, but a mate has taken some execellent ones on his LG G4.

I should also point out that I eventually fixed my 4S for £8 plus about 15 mins on ifixit.com Android is garbage out of the box. I had to spend days finding apps that work as nicely as they do on iOS. However, now I have I cannot see the point of buying an iPhone again.

Mugboo

Mine keeps crashing on here, how did you fix yours?

I’ll add the LG to the list.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Which android phone to replace my 4S?’ is closed to new replies.