Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Which AM brakes?
  • sherry
    Free Member

Which AM brakes to go for? This is the last purchase for my new meta 6 build. Was thinking of 09 Hayes (white) stroker trail with Goodridge hoses as the standard length is too short £230 new, 09 Magura louise with vented discs £225 or some good second hand brakes, dics must be 8" front 7" rear. Not wanting to spend more than the prices stated. Any ideas?

ton

saint.

Black
    Free Member

Tech M4

dano
    Free Member

+2 for saint… the most power and feel you can get… and the reliability of the big S

cynic-al
    Free Member

Jeez I got on fine with 160mm xtrs in Morzine.

And before anyone says "xc jeyboy" I can confirm I used the brakes a lot! 😀

tomh
    Free Member

Magura louise

Trailseeker
    Free Member

Hope V2 or Mono 6 – in the Alps the only people not having brake issues were using Hopes or Shimano but the guy with the Shimano was half the weight of most of us!

chakaping
    Free Member

SLX are very good and should come in well under budget.

I used a set on a massively heavy old Big Hit in the Alps last year (with 8in rotors both ends) and they were amazingly powerful and reliable.

Merlin have some deals atm I think.

coogan
    Free Member

Hope V2 or Mono 6 – in the Alps the only people not having brake issues were using Hopes or Shimano but the guy with the Shimano was half the weight of most of us!

Hmmm… I was in the Alps last year. 9 riders, long rocky descent, 3 sets of boiled Hope brakes at the bottom, only 3 of the 9 had Hopes. Sorry, just don't trust 'em. My old school Saints were perfect though 😀

Trailseeker
    Free Member

Which model Hopes & how well maintained though?
    I've seen Shimano brakes cooked but the pads were well worn down – I always fit new pads & bleed mine a week before an Alps trip.

mk1fan
    Free Member

I've used Avid Juicy / Elixir / Code in the Alps without issue. I use Code calliper (185 rotor) up front and Elixir calliper (160 rotor) out back with Juicy levers. I'm 15.5 stone in my kit.

Seem to be a lot of sets of Code 5 brakes on e-Bay that would fit the bill for a lot less that £225.

james
    Free Member

"in the Alps the only people not having brake issues "
    Was there some kind of comprehensive survey undertaken I've missed?

Merlin have (or had) some Avid Codes for £190 front and rear, 203/203. Okay a tad heavy, arguably not needed for UK use though

SBrock
    Free Member

just upgraded from Juicy 7's to Hope Tech M4's and must say they are absolute superb brakes….. everything about is them is just quality…. set-up, bleeding, adjustments etc.

coogan
    Free Member

Which model Hopes & how well maintained though?

No idea, the new ones. SIlver and black. My Saints were't well maintained, believe me, but were fine. Had a set of M4's fail on me in the Alps, hence why I don't trust 'em.

joolsburger
    Free Member

I binned my Hopes, seals went twice in three years, parts were dear and I don't think they are all that.

I run Avid 7's now and they have been fit and forget for a year and half.

You'll get so many answers on this it's almost pointless.

If I had to buy new brakes tomorrow I'd buy Maguras because they've made hydraulics for a long time and look nice.

mboy
    Free Member

ANYTHING Shimano

Saints if you're a fatty, XT or SLX if you're less of a fatty…

Run 203mm rotor front and 180mm rear if it's more DH riding you do, or 180mm front and 160mm rear if it's more XC.

loco_pollo
    Free Member

Hopes or Saints

ojom
    Free Member

Shimano as coogan and al says.

Job done.

andysandes
    Free Member

After two years guiding in the alps (was 2005/6 though) I'd only run shimano having seen countless hopes give out at inapropriate times. Avids didn't fair much better and don't get me started on Hayes el caminos! New Hayes better I think. Maguras also seemed reliable.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

In the Alps last year riding DH, 2 of us had the older Shimano's (not the servo wave ones), 1 had Avid Juicy Carbons and 1 had Hayes 9's. None of us boiled our brakes! Judging by that I'd say Shimano are your best bet

thv3
    Free Member

I have 08 Stroker Trails in white, 8" front and 7" rear and can totally recommend them. Used in the Alps this year with no problems with heat or anything else. Have only just been bled for the first time after 2 years and still going strong.

nasher
    Free Member

Although I dont use them in the Alps (cant change levers to euro style and vice versa) I would recommend Magura, excellent brakes.

I use Formula, very nice feel and powerful but if you need to bleed them…they are a pain.

Again shimano are excellent…but again I cant flip around the levers.

Hopes are very hit and miss, thats why I avoid them.

I am also a bike guide and to be honest brakes these days are pretty much sorted, its mainly the older hope brakes that seemed to give in. (mono calipers but with the old style levers era)

yetiguy
    Free Member

Hope M4

sherry
    Free Member

Most new Hopes are a bit out of budget though, there are some good second hand options though, currently considering some mono ti 6's. I really thought the Magura Louise looked good for the money with the vented discs, never tried them though. Shimano are always good with brakes, well the ones I had. Decisions decisions!

Trailseeker
    Free Member

My Hopes have been totally reliable & customer service is A1 – try getting spares for Shimano.

coogan
    Free Member

Never needed spares for Shimano 8)

Duckcm18
    Free Member

there's a review in MBUK this month of a lot of brakesets, they had Formula the One 10 winning the test for weight and power, Shimano Saint came second and were the most powerful on test.

I think a good alternative is the Elixir 5's, decent weight, nice feel and not to badly priced £160 a pair I think from Merlins.

sherry
    Free Member

You would say that trailseeker, your selling the brakes I'm considering lol. I have stroker trail on my Cove HJ and like them but was looking for something different. My build so far consists of:
    Frame: Meta 6 XL 09
    Fork: Lyrik 2 step 09
    Wheels: Pro 2 on Mavic EN521
    Crank: SLX with bash
    Front mech: SLX twin
    Rear mech: X9
    Shifters: X9
    Bar: Nuckproof
    Stem: Thomson
    Seatpost: Joplin R
    Saddle: SDG ti
    Pedals: Z control (time)
    Brakes:?

Pretty standard meta 6 build for most folk I think. I weigh around 93kg, not sure of bike weight, so pretty powerful stoppers will be needed I think. Cheers for all the suggestions!

sherry
    Free Member

Where is the cheapest place to get Shimano saint 810 brakes and rotors?

giantjason
    Free Member

Go Magura and you cant go wrong!!

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Been to the Alps twice. The XT m760's a few years old to me and SH when I got them, they were faultless. Myself and another with the same brakes didn't even need to change pads (sintered)

HansRey

i love magura, but havent got the cash. But xtr's are cheap on crc, if you don't mind plumbing them yourself.

Daffy

Merlin i think

sherry
    Free Member

I'm pretty sure its between Magura louise vented discs and Shimano saint stoppers. The cheapest I'v found saints are CRC @ £250 without rotors! I have some Hayes V7/8 rotors would they work OK with saint brakes.

MrNutt
    Free Member

Formula, bleeding them isn't a problem!

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Which AM brakes?’ is closed to new replies.