• This topic has 20 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by ac282.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Which 25c tyres for my road bike?
  • ctk
    Free Member

Was thinking Rubino Pro Techs for cheapness,
    Conti Gator Hardshells for puncture proofness
    Maybe Vittoria Open Paves are on offer at £26 at wiggle?

I’ve had 2 punctures in a week on some Schwalbe Luganos (23c) which are meant to be tough…

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

What are you doing or where you riding to get multiple punctures? I do 500+ miles a month year-round and get maybe one a year.

Schwalbe Ones. At least as good as the default Conti GP4000s option.

fenred
    Free Member

I find my michelin lithion 2’s hard to beat for cheap, good puncture resistance, grip, cheap and cheap. 8)

ctk
    Free Member

What are you doing or where you riding to get multiple punctures? I do 500+ miles a month year-round and get maybe one a year.

I know,! I’ve just bought a second hand bike- tyres are nearly new. I assumed the tyres (Schwalbe Lugano) were racey/ not puncture proof but it seems they are! One puncture front, one on the back. Running 100psi. Wheels are Fulcrum 5s. I ride on the road not many miles 50ish a week. No obvious debris on my route…

Just bad luck?

brooess
    Free Member

I’ve just worn out a pair of Conti Grand Prix GPs after 2 and a half years of city commuting. Very grippy and comfortable, nicer I think than the GP4000s. Cheaper too

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Have been using 25c Michelin Pro 4 Service Course since mid November. Done nearly 3k miles on them, plus some turbo miles and I got a first puncture today. Noticed the rubber has started to come off in places and it’s squared off pretty badly. The front is still fine though. Just bought another to replace it. Seem better than any other clincher I’ve used, and much better than the old Pro 3s I used to have. Only thing to watch for is they size up pretty massive on wide rims.

MoreCashThanDash

Michelin Pro 4 Endurance. Been using them since they were called Krylions. Probably 1 puncture a year/every 2000 miles. Not the fastest tyre, but grippy, comfy and easy to get on and off if you do get a puncture.

ctk
    Free Member

3 plugs for Michelins- and they are highly regarded by Wiggle reviewers aswell. And they come in different colours! 8) 😆

TiRed

Vittoria Open Pave 25c are £25 an end from Evans at the moment. I’ve raced them all winter and they have been excellent. Not the hardest wearing tyre to be honest, but oh such a nice ride with latex tubes and no punctures to date (1000 km at least). Once the tread has worn they become Open Corsas too 😉

I’ve also used Schwalbe Ones a lot (including tubeless), and 25c are more like 28’s in other tyres. I rate them as well for rolling and puncture resistance but would probably stick with 23c’s if using wide rims.

Are your Luganos OEM perchance?

ctk
    Free Member

Luganos not OEM, I’m pretty sure they were put on to sell the bike- look new. I do fancy those Vittorias and £25 is about the price of all the other tyres I’m looking at.

pleaderwilliams
    Free Member

Vitoria Rubino Pros on my winter bike. Hard-wearing, seem very puncture proof, cheap. Grip and comfort not quite up there with GP4Seasons/GP4000s that I run on my race bike, but perfectly serviceable for 99% of my riding.

ctk
    Free Member

I’ve gone for Michelin Pro4 endurance, I read this review of the Vittoria Open Pave tyres that said the Pro 4s were more puncture resistant and that sealed it. The Vittorias do look clasy though.

wilburt
    Free Member

I’ve not had good experiences with OEM Luganos and have acouple now in line for turbo duty. In the past my default tyre choice jas been either Conti gp4seasons or gp4000 however I’ve been Lithions this winter and they have been excellent so will trying something from the higher end of the Michelin line up soon.

I have never had much success with Schwalbe from their fragile nobby nics to Duranos with poor quaity and side wall blowouts, quite possibly just my bad luck but enough to put me of the brand.

On a budget Lithions, bigger money, hard to go wrong.

ransos
    Free Member

Mich Pro 4s are about half the price of continentals and seem to last just as long.

trickydisco
    Free Member

Michelin Pro 4 Endurance.

+1

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Yeh, generally the Michelins are cheaper than the Contis, probably last at least as long and I seem to have had less punctures with them. Bit more grip aswell IMO.

mcj78
    Free Member

I had some Luganos a while back & while they felt ok when new, they were pretty guff in the long run tbh – used them for commuting and got about 300 miles out of the rear before it was cut up so badly I ditched it, tried another in case it was a dodgy tyre and the front was still ok but the second lasted about as long – averaged a p*ncture every 100 miles or so into the bargain…

Heard good things about the Lithion 2 as a cheap all rounder

ctk
    Free Member

Haven’t arrived yet ffs

Kryton57

find my michelin lithion 2’s hard to beat for cheap, good puncture resistance, grip, cheap and cheap.

This on my winter bike

And I use pro 4 endurance on my good bike, soon to be upgraded to the faster New Michelins as I need a new one anyway.

nathb
    Free Member

I’ve got 28c Rubino Pro Tech on the commuter and 25c Rubino Pro Slicks on the weekend bike. The Rubinos have done me well, I won’t be switching any time soon. 🙂

ac282

Maybe it’s all in my head, but I think rubinos are really sketchy in the wet. GP 4 seasons are much better (as they should be given the price difference).

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Which 25c tyres for my road bike?’ is closed to new replies.