Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Which 160mm forks
  • Warrenpfo
    Free Member

^^^ Many thanks for the reply, the confusion was more around Rockshox and their various options you have when choosing a fork. Fox in my eyes seem to have simplified the forks as you only get one maybe two options when picking a fork.
    Having done some reading and speaking to Loco I now have a better understanding on what I need to do. My current fork is not very complicated as you can only adjust the speed/.rate at which the fork rebounds with one knob and then the force required to depress the fork with another knob and that is it.

Setting sag is easy as it’s written on the fork station so no need to get the tape out. You are right in thinking that I like the front end of the bike to sit up and coming from a fox fork having the lyrik run at 30% sag seemed too much but from comments 30% is about right.

I am out tonight on the trail so will give all the suggestions a go.

bwaarp
    Free Member

If I sold the forks and added the cost of the avy mod I’m close to adding a few quid and getting some new forks.

Huh, the AVY mod is 250-300 dollars? Why would you need to sell your forks? The Lyrik plus Avy is going to perform every bit as well as a BOS fork if not better due to the stiffer 35mm stanchions. You’d get 150 quid for the forks tops, so you’d save about 350 quid towards a new pair of forks by not going that route? To get an equivalent performing fork your going to have to spend 800-900 quid on a BOS/Marz/Kashima Fox fork.

I’m having to try really hard not to buy the avalanche cartridge at the moment.

unklehomered
    Free Member

Warren

Was the source of the upgrades a sneaky secret or one you can share? I’m wanting DH coils, but can’t find any so considering getting Uturn Coil RC2Ls and swapping over internals.

Cheers
    Unk

bwaarp
    Free Member

That would be because the Coil RC2DH fork is no longer in production, only the Solo Air, DPA air, and U-Turn are in production.

unklehomered
    Free Member

I suspected as much. Good to know there’s no point in scouring the internet any more then.

Was there any good reason for ceasing production or just how SRAM decided to go?

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

The Lyrik plus Avy is going to perform every bit as well as a BOS fork if not better due to the stiffer 35mm stanchions.

Are they really stiffer, or is it just an assumption because the stantions are 1mm larger?

unklehomered
    Free Member

The main things putting me off Bos is lack of parts, service manual, and sketchy reports as to how r53 are on communications. their website is still proclaiming the arrival of devilles in 2010 – And saying I should reserve one now. I know much of the supply problem on parts is from the bos end but that’s not very encouraging either. I have enough of that with owning formula brakes…

Anyone know how much they charge for a service?

bwaarp
    Free Member

Based on a few peoples experiences, some do feel the BOS forks are less stiff but a lot of people don’t seem to notice when riding. Some people are more sensitive to it though.

The point I was trying to make is why spend another 500-600 quid more than the cartridge…. on a new pair of forks when you can keep the Lyrik chassis, with easily available spare parts and seals etc and purchase a user serviceable avalanche damper that uses parts most motorbike mechanics could source for you.

What’s not to like?

almightydutch
    Free Member

Yet again, Mission Control Damper and forks setup properly and your Lyriks will be mega.

Or spend hundreds making them mega…but sure TFtuned or Loco would advise the best route….which would probably include goin coil anyway.

blurltrider
    Free Member

I’ve got Bos Devilles and have never felt that communication with R53 has been poor. In fact I’d say it’s been excellent. A service costs £150 including postage, but the service interval is every 2 years. Oh yes, I really like the forks as well.

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Which 160mm forks’ is closed to new replies.