Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Where to stay in or near Huddersfield
  • stayhigh

Morning All

I’m attending a conference in Huddersfield on 10/10 and thought me my OH could combine it with a weekend away.

We’ll be travelling up from Kent on at the Saturday and then returning home on Monday evening.

Has anyone got any recommendations of where to go or what to do in the area?

Thanks

slimporcini
    Free Member

Not too sure on where you could stay but assuming you both enjoy proper tasty beer Magicrock Tap is a must as is The Grove pub and that’s pretty much the limit to my knowledge of Huddersfield… oh, thay have a nice second hand vinyl shop too.

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

If you are taking your bikes theirs some great riding, marsden/holmfirth/ Hebden bridge etc
    Same areas are great for walking (moorland or reservoir circuits) , maybe base yourself in the Peak District, Yorkshire dales, huddersfield is 1-2 hours from so many places Manchester, Liverpool, Whitby/Yorkshire coast, saltaire, bronte country, assuming you are driving.

Drinking as slimP has said check out magic rock taphouse, I’d probably avoid the town centre these days used to be a great night out but full of dicks these days , marsden riverhead pub has good food full of dog walkers , tunnelhead canal is a good walk
    Holmfirth also has some good pubs/bars / restaurants

munrobiker
    Free Member

My in-laws stayed here when they visited my folks. It looked really lovely.

http://www.homefromholme.co.uk/StoneyBankBnB.htm

This place is great too. The breakfast is especially good.

http://www.coddysfarm.co.uk

Holmfirth is a nice place to potter about and there are great walks on Holme Moss. Good bike riding in the area too, let me know if you want a route. You could easily visit the Yorkshire Sculpture Park from there on another day.

The Standedge Tunnel visitor centre is also interesting, you could pop there on the way to or from Hebden Bridge, which is a nice place to visit.

headfirst
    Free Member

I live in Huddersfield and love it, but in all fairness for a weekend away my answer would have to be Leeds.

hora
    Free Member

I was born and bred in Huddersfield. I’d avoid Leeds, Huddersfield is great for a conference visit. Do you have road bikes? You’d love our roads. When we lived in Hudds we avoided Leeds and went to Manchester for nights out.

stayhigh

No bikes for this trip, somewhere nice for a not particularly strenuous walk would be good though.

The conference is at Cathedral House and my OH will be kicking around town while I’m there. With that in mind we’d like to stay fairly localish.

Thanks for the replies everyone 🙂

slightreturn
    Free Member

I second coddys farm at cartworth just above Holmfirth. Had breakfast there just this morning.
    Also you may be able to catch a concert at the picturedrome in Holmfirth. Holmfirth is a decent night out at weekends, and good food.
    Hope it helps

mt
    Free Member

Sunnybank Guest House, Holmfirth. Its the best place in the area no question. I use it on a regular basis (everyweek), I have tried many others and this is the best. Walking distance of the centre of Holmfirth and all the restaurants and bars (try the Nook awesome beer sh1t looking place), also a stoll up the hill will get you to the best pub around, the Royal Oak, Upperthong.

http://www.sunnybankguesthouse.co.uk/

dthom3uk

Have a look at the Huddersfield Central Lodge. Very highly rated on TripAdvisor. We had some friends stay there and they rated it. It’s a family run hotel and their customer service is excellent.

If you are into Real Ale, then you are only walking distance at Cathedral House from The Star and The Rat and Ratchet. The town centre has a number of superb real ale pubs.

For good food in the centre of the town you’ve got the following:

Thai Sakon
    Apadana
    Lost Property

There’s plenty more but these 3 are among the best.

For an afternoon out, get a local train to Marsden and visit this:

Stanage Tunnel

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Where to stay in or near Huddersfield’ is closed to new replies.