Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Where to stay in Glencoe?
  • Nonsense
    Free Member

Anyone got anywhere to recommend? After a B&B ideally but campsites, hotels whatever.

Ta.

13thfloormonk

Kingshouse is always a good bet, camping (free) or hotel.

The climber’s bar has always had some good chat, midgies are as bad as you’d expect though.

GaVgAs
    Free Member

Red squirrel Campsite is famously one of the worst in Scotland,stay there a lot! (Midge Nirvana!)BUT… has the best pub in Scotland a mile or so up the road (Clachaig Inn).YHA is close as well,is also good, and has awesome showers.

Theres an awesome (secret) downhill track nearby as well. 😉

all imho of course.

Nonsense
    Free Member

Cheers chaps. Anymore?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I think thats about it for Glencoe. Beware the midge

Northwind

We stayed at the Clachaig years ago, it was fantastic. Steaks you could kill a man with.

johnners
    Free Member

Midge forecast for Glencoe is at 5. Run away!

druidh
    Free Member

I much prefer the site in Glencoe village as it’s on the coast and usually has a wee breeze to keep the midge at bay.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

The highland biting midge ( life size)

GaVgAs
    Free Member

[list]They make steaks from the midges!!!… 😯 och aye…

phiiiiil

It’s not quite in Glencoe, but the campsite at Caolasnacon is nice – it sticks out into loch Leven so you get a nice bit of breeze to keep the air clear…

coastkid
    Free Member

as mentioned the site on the coast is usually midge free with a sea breeze but you can have a campfire at the red squirrel site but the showers are minging.
    the balhulish pub much more REAL with locals usually than the clachaig which once was great but is always full of stag doo`s nowadays,not what you expect when your up there,also turned up there 9.02pm and wouldnt serve us a meal(7 people) drove to balahullish pub and half an hour after stopped serving rummaged up a good meal-proper highland hospitality!
    enjoy your visit 🙂

Ambrose

Torren Cottages. Perfect.

http://www.glencoe-cottages.com/

Walking distance from the Clachaig, on the back road.

grumm
    Free Member

I stayed in this cottage in Ballachulish, it was nice and very cheap (though it was winter).

http://www.chooseacottage.co.uk/webparts/part_detail.asp

topangarider
    Free Member

Cottage for me too (ooh err!) Think its called Potter Cottage. Only stayed in winter when its £275 for the week. Claichaig is still walkable, and Ballachulish is close too – as is the Spar. Think its on Ecosse Unique website or something like that.

Effoh
    Free Member

Welcome to Strathassynt Bed and Breakfast Glencoe

Excellent – stayed there two or three times – Mike and family always very welcoming, and the pub’s just across the road!

Rgds,

Colin

laraichean

Best self-catering in the area (IMHO), walkable to pub and village, and since we’re bikers we’ve got a work stand etc. and happy to be flexible. Email me if you want more details, or go through the website:
    http://www.houseinglencoe.com

Northwind

If you don’t mind being a bit further away, and you want something a bit different, the wigwam village at strathfillan is very cool, and cheap too. But it’s down past tyndrum.

montylikesbeer

There are some log cabins in Kinlochleven at MacDonald Hotel and cheap too

cabin link

dyna-ti

Red squirrel is ok if its quiet[spring or autumn],high summer is midgie heaven.and is near impossible to get a peg in the ground.
    The ‘kingy’ is a smelly hole.and the land about it,is a muddy hole.

B&B is the most comfortable option,that or a caravanette type thing.

heihei

Surprised no-one has mentioned it, but loads of stunning wild camping spots in Glen Etive. In fact, it resembles a full-on camp site on some occaisions it’s so popular! Some great swimming in the river too, but as everywhere, midge central with no breeze.

-m-
    Free Member

Excellent – stayed there two or three times – Mike and family always very welcoming, and the pub’s just across the road!

Seconded. Only stayed there once (last summer) but it was spot on.

thegreatape
    Free Member

the balhulish pub much more REAL with locals

Also David Hasslehoff last weekend. And Jimmy Saville was in the Coop last night. Someone needs to show him how to do up the zip on his shellsuit.

maxlite
    Free Member

Stayed at Clachaig Inn, they have rooms and lodges, nice pub and the lodges were very comfortable

dyna-ti

I’d go with the clachaig over the kingshouse any day
    The bar is 100x better,more atmosphere,has music and a pooltable
    Climers bar @ the kingshouse looks like an underfunded glasgow pub aimed at alcoholics,smells like it too 😡

Nonsense
    Free Member

Cheers everyone. I’m well aware of the blood sucking midge.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Where to stay in Glencoe?’ is closed to new replies.