Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)
  • Where to ride ‘down south’ ?
  • Sue_W
    Free Member

“rained for 12 hours” sounds just like Snowdonia! It’ll be strange coming down to that part of the world – I was born and grew up in Devon, but haven’t ben back since I left at 16. Will be good to hear west country accents and drink some decent cider …

The weather forecast does seem to be getting better – even up here – so time for me to head out into the hills before it changes

sharki
    Free Member

Thick heavy wet stuff for alot of the night east of the Tox, cleared now but a few dark clouds lurking.

No lasting affect and the super dusty trails will soak up what rain we had and make it grippy again.

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Bright in Poole at the moment. Bit of ‘flash and bang’ as my little girl called it last night and 10 minute storm an hour ago.

Ignore all weather forecasts for here, they’re rarely right for the next day, let along next week.

Dibbs
    Free Member

Best of luck hearing a local accent in Devon or Cornwall, every time I go back home the only accents I seem to hear are London or Northern 😕

jam-bo

plenty of proper devon down this way. I have no idea what any is talking about a lot of the time…

crazy-legs

LOADS of great riding down South!
    Swinley Forest should be up on your list. North Downs has an almost never ending network of trails and is easy access from London. Vertebrate Graphics do a N Downs guidebook which is pretty good. Bit further south is the South Downs which is fantastic in good weather.
    Head SW for the Quantocks, Purbecks or even further still and you get Dartmoor/Exmoor.

Have a great week!

Sue_W
    Free Member

Aargh – too many choices!

Going to have to decide between the SE or the SW or otherwise I’ll spend most of the week in the car.

Must admit the the pictures of the Q’s rides look far too tempting to ignore .. and as for the scones …

Is is feasible to be based in the Q’s and also get to the Mendips / Exmoor etc within about an hours drive?

sharki
    Free Member

Based at the Tox.

mendips 55mins
    exmoor 20mins
    dartmoor 1hr 10mins

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I’ll just say it again – I was very impressed with the Quantocks and you have the offer of Sharki as a guide.

The trails are very different to what I am used to – short climbs and descents rather than longer ones. all very intense as well. I thoroughly enjoyed my weekend there – some of the best riding I have ever done altho how you compare it to something like Glen tilt is really difficult.

trailmonkey

Best of luck hearing a local accent in Devon or Cornwall, every time I go back home the only accents I seem to hear are London or Northern

Yeah, sorry about that. We’re on a mission from the govt to increase the quality of the genepool.

Christowkid
    Free Member

TM: What??
    comin’ down yer, getting all the jobs, increasing the price of houses and not even caring for the sheep…………..
    an you lot still can’t talk proper!!!!!!!!
    Q

Christowkid
    Free Member

….and from what I’ve seen, put up barricades of said houses, unleasing the gard dogs thus keeping ‘the peasants out’, so absolutely *no chance* of mingling the gene pool!!!!!
    Not that I mind a bit of outcrossing of course!
    😆
    hey ho
    Q
    ( born and bred!)

trailmonkey

Sorry Q, all that talk of “foreigners” and “incomers” makes my p155 boil. Can you imagine how offensive it would seem if the people being talked about were from overseas ?

Philby

Another recommendation for the Quantocks – as well as great and varied riding it is a very beautiful place, especially some of the combes. I think everyone who went on the STW ride earlier this year will confirm what fantastic riding is to be had in such a small place.

You could also spend a day in the Mendips which are less than an hour away – some routes can be found here http://www.mendiphillsaonb.org.uk/publications/up_160057_bd_bikecard.pdf

Dibbs
    Free Member

trailmonkey

millsonwheels
    Free Member

Another vote for the sunny south west here. If you do come to the SW and make it as far as Plymouth, we have a womens mtb group who meet every Sat morning at 9am if you fancy it? My email is in my profile!

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Qs are ideal all weather venue.

Mendips a bit sloppy after a rainy spell but ace when dryish. The good riding is less obvious and more spread about. I can recommend a best-of-mendip half-day route. I put a basic route on the trail guide here: mendip trail guide

I’ve done more on Exmoor recently and am really enjoying the number and quality of the singletrack. Though the hills aren’t mountains, it’s extremely hilly: up down up down etc.

RichPenny
    Free Member

When is the Exmoor Explorer? Not heard much about it recently. 14th?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member
    Christowkid
    Free Member

TM: Yeah I know…… and agree with the point made.
    Just worry about my kids as there’s no way they’ll be able to afford to live in their own county now.
    That’s what upsets me, not who’s come and who’s gone…..
    hey ho. can’t turn the clock back
    Q

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Keva, where are you based? thats very local to me (fallen out of the george too many times to remember).

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

Wasn’t raining in Barnstaple this morning so thought I’d nip up to them Quantocks (all the best riding in North Devon is in Somerset). Got a few miles out of town and it was pissing down. Went for a bimble around Braunton Burrows with the dog and it was beautiful sunshine. Westcountry is weird.

Still, the riding is mega. Quantocks (my favourite), Exmoor, Dartmoor, Mendips, Woodbury, Haldon, Tavi/Gorton (DH), Cann/Newnham (need to sneak in early evening so you don’t get shot). Plus, decent beaches, clean air and room to swing a cat.

Watch out for that Plymouth ladies team, they’re feisty down that way.

Sue_W
    Free Member

Cheers all … at this rate I’m going to want to up sticks and move there! (although at the moment out of my window I can see the mountains of Snowdonia in one direction and out over the sea to Anglesey in the other – biting cold easterly wind though)

Philby and Buzz – thanks for the routes in the Mendips – definately would like to head there too.

millsonwheels – I don’t think I’ll make it as far as Plymouth this time, but I’m sure I’ll head that way again at some point.

Not going to get into the locals / outsiders / house prices debate – there’s a lot of it up here and I can always understand the concerns from both sides ….

Christowkid
    Free Member

Sue_W & Trailmonkey:
    Apologies, didn’t mean to drag down thread…..just feeling cr*p and so in an almighty grump with * everything*!!!

hope you sort out some good riding
    Qx

julianwilson
    Free Member

Sponging-Machine – Member

Watch out for that Plymouth ladies team, they’re feisty down that way.

‘ere Rich, you talkin’ about me bird? 😡

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

All janners are bonkers!

Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘Where to ride ‘down south’ ?’ is closed to new replies.