Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Where to go on a biking holiday in Southern England?
  • boriselbrus
    Free Member

I want to go on holiday for a week in September. I’m not going much further north than Manchester (fuel costs) and I’ll be camping and taking an MTB and road bike.

I’m looking for quiet places with no crowds, lots of bridleways/byways to link up to make long 60km+ rides with lots of pretty countryside to look at. A bit lumpy would be good, not bothered about mountains, but Cambridgeshire/Lincolnshire would be too flat. I don’t want trail centres and I’m thinking North Wales/Peaks are pretty busy.

Any recommendations? I was thinking maybe Shropshire/Welsh borders or Dorset but if anyone has any ideas I would be very grateful.

Thanks

Boris

thomthumb
    Free Member

done lots of riding in exmoor. its fun.
    never been to dartmoor but it looks fun.

sofatester
    Free Member

Shropshire/Welsh borders

That would be my choice, miles of trails and quiet lanes. Some good hills to earn your turns on as well, without being bike and body breaking.

barn
    Free Member

You won’t find huge inspiration online, but the Isle of Wight ticks your boxes.
    I’m from there, now living in London, but back most weekends.
    Tennyson Trail and Worsley Trail are stunning and there are heaps of loops to be made in and around Brighstone Forest.
    The road biking is superb, great views and remote roads on south side of Island.

MIP if you want more info.
    Might be able to show you some tracks on either weekend.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Porlock (Exmoor)

singletracksurfer

Porlock for me every (most) years.

Esme
    Free Member

North Wales/Peaks are pretty busy

Nowhere will be busy on weekdays in September, so take your pick!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I would be looking at exmoor / dartmoor / quantocks I think
    Shropshire/Welsh borders would not be a bad choice either.

clunker

South Downs?

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Dartmoor is excellent and I live on the South Downs, which when dry offer some fantastic MTB’ing.

boriselbrus
    Free Member

Hmmm, some very interesting thoughts there. I live not far from the South downs and can do day rides there so I’d like to go further afield.

Isle of Wight interests me – haven’t been there since I was 3 months old so don’t really remember it!

Porlock looks great on the map, and I like the idea of being near the sea as well. I’ve not been to Exmoor either (always gone past it on the way to Dartmoor) so a bit more research looks in order but it seems to tick the boxes.

Thanks all, much appreciated.

Boris

flashes
    Free Member

I can add a vote for Isle of Wight, good riding, huge portions of food and red squirrels, who could ask for more……….

spooky_b329

Porlock (camp at Burrowhayse Farm)
    Purbecks in Dorset

spooky_b329

Porlock (camp at Burrowhayse Farm)
    Purbecks in Dorset

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Where to go on a biking holiday in Southern England?’ is closed to new replies.