• This topic has 17 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by grum.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Where to go in the Lakes?
  • jools182
    Free Member

My girlfriend is Australian and she has never been to the lakes.

I want to go up there camping for a night or two, and would like to go somewhere that is typical lakes

I’m struggling to think of where to camp and what sights to see

She’s not into cycling (despite my best efforts) so probably looking for impressive views and some activities or shops(!) to stop her getting bored

Any suggestions for good campsites and things to do or see are welcome

anagallis_arvensis

I’d go walking in Wasdale, I presume there’s still that little campsite by the pub?.

But it sounds like the cars of the stars museum in Keswick might be her cup of tea. 😯

trailmonkey

i’d stay at sykeside at the foot of the kirkstone pass – google them, they have a website with gallery – as it’s a decent site in spectacular surroundings, is central to everywhere and served by the main road, is close to ambleside and windemere as well as lots of great riding and walking.

and there’s a pub on site with great food.

squiff
    Free Member
    B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Borrowdale is the nicest valley IMO and has Keswick at the top, which is worth a wander round. There’s a couple of campsites down the valley. You could walk along Derwent water and get some good views. If she likes a bit of excitement there’s via ferrata at the slate mine at Honnister pass.
    The other area would be around Windemere, there’s a ferry crossing to Hawkshead and maybe a drive up Wrynose and Hardnott pass. There’s a lake ferry cruiser type thing, shops in Bowness and Ambleside. Betrix Potters house is round there, if she read the books as a child.

anc
    Free Member

Cars of the stars is no more… Sold to the yanks!

anagallis_arvensis

Cars of the stars is no more… Sold to the yanks!

What? Oh my god now I am depressed.

anc
    Free Member

😆

Si
    Free Member

National Trust Campsite in Great Langdale or Seathwaite would get my vote

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Langdales with some walking up the Band and Crinkle Crags would be my call.

jools182
    Free Member

Si

Is that the one with the Dungeon Ghyll pub nearby?

Pieface

NT site in Langdale – Busy but good facilities, good location and relatively close to the motorway.
    Wasdale – Best location IMO, but its a bit of a drive, the NT campsite is a bit of a walk to the pub.
    Eskdale is nice, although not quite as many facilities on your doorstep http://www.fishergroundcampsite.co.uk/
    Seathwaite – probably the nicer, less spoilt parts of the lake district.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Theres a couple of campsites in langdale not far from the dungeon ghyll. Langdale is only a short drive from ambleside, coniston, windermere etc. if you fancy strolling round expensive outdoorsy shops, or a ride on a steam boat on a lake.

OrmanCheep
    Free Member

Lunch at the Queens Head in Troutbeck should impress her. Get there about midday for a table by the fireplace. Very Olde Worlde and good beer.

montylikesbeer

2nd Lunch at the Queens Head

traildog
    Free Member

Ennerdale is the niceset valley IMHO but is very remote and quiet therefore maybe not what you’re after.
    I would also recommend the NT campsite in Langdale as the Langdales mountains are quite iconic and it’s near the old dungeon gyll which is also quite famous.

You’d also be near to a number of tourist attractions and the towns of Ambleside or Bowness. Ambleside would be my choice as it’s got good outdoor shops and some easy walks (eg. to the waterfalls or Loughrigg) and I just generally really like Ambleside, but Bowness is perhaps better if you want other types of shops.
    A boat ride on lake Windermere is something that everyone seems to have to do.

Keswick is also good for a weekend away and there are a few good campsites near, my fav was always the one in Braithwaite, although I’ve not been in a while.
    I really love the north lakes, but find the south lakes better for none outdoors-y stuff, although maybe that’s because I know it better?

Is she into poetry, or fluffy bunny rabbits? 😉

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

No, no, no, no, no.

No.

You simply have to stay in Ambleside (it matters not where) and take her to the Sportsman’s Bar sometime around kicking out time and go to the ‘club’ downstairs.

Even though it was only a couple of years ago that I last went, I could have sworn I had briefly gone back into the 1980s.

grum
    Free Member

Langdale or Patterdale imo.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Where to go in the Lakes?’ is closed to new replies.