Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Where to get logs from? Stove Content
  • radtothepowerofsik
    Free Member

My gf is staying in a house with a wood burning stove in it for the next three weeks. We/she’d like to get a supply of wood for it.

I bought a bag of logs from the garage which was a fiver and lasted a couple of evenings.

There must be a better value source, although obviously a ton or so would be a bit much!

Garden centres? It’s in Sheffield.

Drac

I just ordered a bulk from local supplier a big dumpy bag delivered for £95 for hardwood. Normally cut our own but ill health in the family has slowed that down.

Oh saw mills, tree surgeons or log suppliers funnily enough.

timber

Last time we saw our sawyer he had about 30 dumpy bags of off-cuts just from hedging stakes.

Go find a small saw mill that deals with round wood. Most bigger mills sell their waste for chip.

cb

Don’t rule out coal suppliers – our local ones supply all fuels including logs

maccruiskeen

If its only for three weeks the trick with bigger quantities is making sure the stuff is actually dry enough to use straight away. Big ton bags of stuff might well have been seasoned, but the can get wet again during delivery and while you pack them away, meaning its a few weeks before they’ll burn as well as you’d want them to. For three weeks I’d stick to garage forecourt sized sacks but find a cheaper supply, you should be able to get them for nearer to £3 a bag with a bit of shopping around.

frogstomp

Try your local agricultural college.. our local one is way cheaper than anywhere else (although you have to collect) and they may be happy to sell you half a load..

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Is it a multfuel stove?

If it is she is better off buying a bit of coal too, it will burn for longer and use less wood.

nealglover
    Free Member

Can an inanimate object like a stove be content ? 😉

globalti
    Free Member

As somebody else has already written, it might be difficult to get such a small amount and get it ready seasoned; even good suppliers don’t usually supply fully seasoned wood.

Why not go to the coal merchant and buy some compressed peat briquettes? It glows beautifully for hours, smells gorgeous and leaves a very light ash.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Local paper. Here in The FoD the local rag is full of ads for firewood . Most are for 1 ton loads but at least one number advertsies a boots full if you pick it up.
    A quick check should tell you if its dry.

tomaso
    Free Member

The Yellow Pages will have a section on firewood logs. Obviously the depths of winter are a busy time and you may not get the most seasoned wood but there will be someone out there with a supply of logs.

You can get them in 1m3 builders bags or by the trailer or tipper load.

Alternatively go and liberate a load of pallets and smash them up. Its not ideal but they burn well.

Coal is good but are you in a smoke control zone? If so you’ll need to burn smokeless coal.

Coal burns hotter and for longer but I find the ash is more of a pain.

ski
    Free Member

you will be amazed how much wood you can get through in 3 weeks, if you have it roaring every day.

Eco logs might worth looking for too, as they will be dry and ready to burn.

Otherwise check out this site for a local wood suppler, some might offer you a smaller amount if you can fill your boot

http://www.stovesonline.co.uk/services/firewood-suppliers.html

timber
    muenchen1
    Free Member

If you need wood/logs on a smaller scale and haven’t found free source noticed today that Tesco doing 2 packs of Heatlogs for £8 get 12 ‘logs’ in each pack and they seem to last OK but I’ve found you need good bed of hot coals to get them burning nicely. Other option might be B&Q – doing 3 nets of logs for price of two so think that gives ~30kg of hardwood logs for £14 – I’ve no idea how dry they are though.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Where to get logs from? Stove Content’ is closed to new replies.