Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Where is Zoom or Bust at GT
  • lambbhoona
    Free Member

Just seen a video clip of this, can anyone help out with directions to get to this section of trail. Cheers

richmtb

ride up to the Buzzard Nest carpark, follow the fireroad up towards the Black Route (don’t turn right onto the Red Route) the start of Zoom or Bust is about 200m up the fire road on the left hand side.

Northwind

Dead easy- and not a secret either, just not on the maps. From the top car park (buzzard’s nest) just ride out as if you were going to the black. Ride past the wallride folly, keep going in the same direction not round the corner, and before you reach the first bit of black singletrack on the right you’ll pass zoom or bust on the left. It’s pretty obviously a bike trail, but not signed. It pops you out down by the green- just turn left at the end of the trail then left again up the fireroad and you end up back at the Buzzard.

Oh and it’s lovely. But don’t cut the corners or ChrisL’ll hunt you down.

richmtb

wallride folly

Very good!

lambbhoona
    Free Member

nice one thanks

Northwind

That’s how I’ve come to think of it… It’d almost be weird now if it got opened. And just imagine if Andy took down that 2-year-old sign that says it’s temporarily closed :mrgreen:

munkyboy
    Free Member

Ok while we are on it where is brown trout, Secret and lies, Ho chi minh etc

Everyone online seems to want to keep them secret….

coogan
    Free Member

legend
    Free Member

Hhhhmmmm just cause I’m selfish I’d rather folk didn’t hear about secrets and broon trout – both are getting pretty **** these days 🙁

Northwind

Please don’t do that! Neither trail is built for traffic. Tell your mates, but don’t put it on the internet. (I’m not the FC but I can speak for the rangers on this one)

iainc

Northwind – someone did that on here with a load of the Mugdock trails…..now they are a muddy mess and a lot of stuff has been wrecked by overuse… great pity when this happens.IMO 🙁

partyboy
    Free Member

Nice one Coogan 🙄

mrplow
    Free Member

Mugdock trails are a muddy mess at this time of year every year. The twice/ three time weekly freight train that is the GMBC creates far more damage than the odd person feeling their way around after seeing something online. The past few times I have been up I have seen very little people on the harder to find stuff.

Not really hard to see everything once the leaves have fallen off the trees and the tyre trails run out onto the main ways.

coogan
    Free Member

Jeez. Stop yer cryin’, mods can delete the post to keep everyone’s face dry. It’s been posted so many times in the past where they are how to get to them. 🙄

radoggair
    Free Member

c’mon guys, lets face it, secrets and lies has been a mud hole all year. Never got the warmth to really dry it out, to a point that even i dont ride it anymore. Thing is, when its dry it holds up to traffic really well.

Broon trout used to be a very cool trail but has been slightly harvested lately. Worth missing nowadays

Now if you want to ride just open fireroad but get plenty of miles in doing it ( and add some nice fast descents in), head over to the windfarm . loads of miles of stuff there, all fireroad, but good miles of stuff and very scenic.

At transmitter station, highest point in black route, as you start heading downwards there’s a fireroad on your left ( after about 20 metres). Take that then at first t-junction you can go right for a massively fast 8 – 10 minute downhill to the valley bottom or, you can go left then first right and follow the main fireroad all the way to the bottom. When you get there, after many switchbacks, keep going straight at t-junction and follow that fireorad climb all the way to windfarm. Loads of stuff up there

jedi

+1 legend. hook up with a fellow rider and get shown them rather than just download the location 🙂

legend
    Free Member

Not arsed about mud, it’s the ‘creative’ lines than some folk (to get around some mud from what I can tell) have imagined up that really grinds my gears

iainc

Mugdock trails are a muddy mess at this time of year every year. The twice/ three time weekly freight train that is the GMBC creates far more damage than the odd person feeling their way around after seeing something online. The past few times I have been up I have seen very little people on the harder to find stuff.

Mr Plow – not quite right there. GMBC have been riding the trails at the same general useage level for years. The problem now is that in addition to us, there are at least 3 meetup rides a week plus other groups and individuals. It’s not the fault of any one person or group, more just a victim of it’s own success and the increase in mountain biking in the area.

Northwind

PS, thanks mods!

mrplow
    Free Member

Iain, I’ve never encountered groups larger the GMBC riding Mugdock. I also have nothing against them. The more people out the better and the more fun little bits that pop up now and again. It is a shame that some of the old rooty lines have been bypassed by straighter lines but when I am out I still ride the old ones with the bonus that they are in better condition for all the bypasses.

I would try to not get too upset about S&L when there is a massive wealth of off piste stuff in all the little woods around Peebles that people don’t bother to investigate…

pistola
    Free Member

Mr. Plow, GMBC try to avoid the muddiest trails at this time of year. We always have. Other groups now ride the trails as well and the muddiest bits just can’t cope with this increased traffic…

wallace1492
    Free Member

Re Mugdock – The Meet Up group tries to avoid the muddy bits and minimalise any train damage. Often we just stick to the main trails of a wet evening, vary the route and cover some tarmac even. Also have done some midweek rides at Carron Valley to ease the pressure.

As the bad weather closes in, there will be less out, so any potential damage will be minimal. However, we are as keen as anyone to ensure any damage is reduced.

Incidentally I have been advised that the Ranger has requested MTB’s avoid Peitches Moor between the visitors centre and East Car park, and will pass that on. Thanks to a GMBC guy who advised some of our group.

Orange-Crush
    Free Member

“The past few times I have been up I have seen very little people on the harder to find stuff.”

Would those be trail fairies by any chance?

mrplow
    Free Member

No, they were blue with white hats…

wallace1492
    Free Member

were they driving a black gothic Reliant Robin?

mrplow
    Free Member

I will be up Mugdock tomorrow, if my bike is muddy it is from the road… 😯

BoardinBob

I’d say we (meetup group) are extremely sensitive to trail conditions in winter up at Mugdock. Flux is definitely out of bounds during winter as far as we’re concerned, as is Riverside plus others. We make a conscious effort to stick to the main paths and drier sections of off road stuff in winter.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Where is Zoom or Bust at GT’ is closed to new replies.