Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Where does the Megavalanche end… searching for accommodation ..
  • rickmeister

Looking at booking something pretty soon…. but where does the race end ? Is it always in the same place.. Allemont / Allemond, or something in Alpe Du Huez.. ?

Thanks

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Previously…
    Qualifying nearer Alp Du Heuz and race in Allemont, If you are in Allemont you need to use the bus & lifts to get up the hill for briefings & races but last day you chill out at the end. If you are up the hill then it’s a bus back to the lift when you finish the race/practice. These stop in the evening at some point.

Personally I’d rather stay up in AdH to make the early morning race stuff easier. There is a good range of accommodation from free camping to posh chalets. We had enough to book one of the big ones up by the heliport. Also worth trying to get accommodation for the Sunday night as the last thing you want to do after racing Sunday is packup and leave.

rickmeister

Thanks mike… Three women racing so thats Saturday, travel Sunday…

BigDummy
    Free Member

Getting back up the hill from Allemont to AdH after the race was possibly my least favourite thing about the whole holiday. If you can organise things so that you don’t have to take the bus, that would be some fine logistics.

rickmeister

Thanks BD…. We will have a car there but I like your thinking.

oldschool

I’d recommend staying AdH, the quali track runs from above town into and back out. You’ll prob find your practicing the quali to town most, as after town isn’t too hard. I think I’d find the whole getting up from Allemont tiring every morning, and a hell of a drag if you need to ‘nip’ back to your digs for a bike repair. Bike shops, bars and race HQ type stuff are all at AdH. Hope that helps.

rickmeister

oldschool… that nails it and makes a lot of sense.. Thanks.

moonboy
    Free Member

Years ago we stayed in oz-en-oisans, was really chilled out, got a great apartment for buttons, next to fast lift up to Alp and enough places to go for a beer. Track has changed now so might not be so useful but if your looking for a mix or ride and drink with a smattering of alpine charm could do worse

rickmeister

Thanks moonboy

tomlevell

Allemont is nice and quiet. Well it was many years ago. Decent food in the village.

Worst bits are scrum for the bus up to Oz on practice mornings (maybe running more buses now).
    Also up early early to get to the top on race day. (this might not be relevant anymore as everyone had to be at the top at the same time previously)

Good bits
    The lift from Oz to quali course is quiet.
    You get to race down the road after quali taking all the cheeky offroad shortcuts at every hairpin. Or you can delve into the forest for loads more trails.
    You can be packed and on the road an hour after finishing main race and that’s when camping.

We always drove it so a car was available to go up to ADH for singning on etc.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

don’t do what i did a few years ago, and booked a hotel half asleep on hotels.com, 6.2m to l’alpe d’huez, that will do i thought,

only sodding booked somewhere in les deux alpes 😆

rickmeister

Thats good info Tom..

tomlevell

2005 was the last time I went though…

I really really need to go back to the Alps to ride a bike.
    Any kind of bike.

honourablegeorge

BigDummy – Member
    Getting back up the hill from Allemont to AdH after the race was possibly my least favourite thing about the whole holiday. If you can organise things so that you don’t have to take the bus, that would be some fine logistics.

I loved that bus ride. Elated, exhausted, on the bus with a bunch of mates all taking the piss.

kimbers

camping in allemont is great, lift up in the morning is fine its not really a problem getting on it and the weathers milder down the bottom of the valley
    allemont is nice and quiet with some good eateries and chilled bars
    if you want the partying adh is better though

its also brilliant finishing the end of the day right at your campsite a dunk in teh glacial river is a great way to end a hot and sweaty ride! and especially at the end of the race, you can be properly drunk within an hour of finishing!

race day can be a pain unless you have a car and someone wlling to drive up, never been a problem though as people in our group have always been split over the 2 days racing

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Where does the Megavalanche end… searching for accommodation ..’ is closed to new replies.