Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Where can I still buy a 26" frame?
  • Alejandro
    Free Member

The situation: whilst attempting to get back into MTBing following knee surgery earlier this year, I noticed a massive crack around the seat tube/BB interface of my Kinesis hardtail. The frame is definitely out of warranty as we have checked with Upgrade, and they have none remaining as they have discontinued all of their 26″ bikes.

I am not in a position to commit financially to buying a 29/27.5″ frame and getting new wheels, tyres, etc., much less a new bike. I am just getting back into it and want to get a new 26″ frame and just move all the bits over.

Where can I still buy one? All manufacturers seem to be stocking 29/27.5″ only nowadays. It would be a hardtail frame used for trail/XC riding, around 19″/L. I won’t be racing anymore.

Suggestions?

NormalMan
    core

Pinkbike, loads of good, used 26″ stuff around cheap.

paule
    Free Member

On-one 456 or inbred would be a good, cheap, new option

Leku
    Free Member
    Alejandro
    Free Member

Some good suggestions but I should have clarified: XC hardtail frame made for 100mm travel forks, preferably alu rather than steel. Nothing hardcore like a Stanton Slackline, just an XC bike.

shermer75
    Free Member

Just been looking on google. There’s not a lot out there, hey? I know this has been coming for a while but I’m still pretty shocked to be honest…

shermer75
    Free Member

What size are you? There’s still some NOS stock knocking around…

kayla1
    Free Member

I’ve got an 18″ Carrera Vulcan (I think, might be a Kraken or something) frame in the shed you can have for free if you like. Straight steerer, 100mm forks, 135mm QR dropouts, disc only.

My email’s in my profile.

shredder
    Free Member

Contat Chris or Lyndon @ Holy Spokes
    They have a black Slackline frame hanging up which im sure they would do a deal on. Got my frame from them.

shermer75
    Free Member
    sam3000

I happen to have an on one whippet frame and a rock lobster titanium for sale. See my for sale post.

StirlingCrispin

Commencal bargains:
    http://www.commencal-store.co.uk/frame-el-camino-disc-26-neon-green-2014-c2x18478181

Or an On One Inbred (steel rather than alu): http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FROOVDO126/on-one-inbred-26er-vertical-dropout

(I’ve just bought a Pipedream Scion after cracking my Soul – 26″ is not dead!)

shermer75
    Free Member

There’s a reasonable choice of steel frames out there, or even expensive Ti ones, but alu ones seem to have dropped off the face of the earth. It’s weird, especially because you can still get all the rest if the stuff you need- tyres, wheels, forks etc. Feels like a ghost town!

crimsondynamo
    Free Member

@StirlingCrispin: what sort of headtube does the Scion have? What’s the weight/feel like compared to your old Soul?

helpful1
    Free Member

I have a very little used alu GT hardtail frame (large) that’d fit the bill if you’re interested in something cheap to get you biking again quickly.
    £40

nwill1
    Free Member

I read the OP and thought Stanton…then read the first reply!!

I was contemplating either the 29″ Stanton Sherpa as an XC bike…but was still torn between that or the 26″ Stanton Slackline (easier to swap everything over).

The a Ti Slackline came up on here at a good price. Haven’t looked back, great bike. 631 Steel is Just shy of £400 new, much much cheaper 2nd, that’s where my money would go.

If you want much more XC focused maybe Cotic Soul 2nd hand however observation is that the Mk3 frames (tapered/dropper compatible) seem to be a bargain as a complete and pricey as frame only!!

accu
    Free Member

no alu and maybe just a bit too hardcore,
    but mike@dialledbikes still sells prince albert frames,
    (and alpines but thats OT)
    sale prices are in his “news”

StirlingCrispin

@crimsondynamo

I snapped the chainstay on my Soul (classic, mk2) and was looking for something very similar.

The Scion has an identical headtube to my Soul – everything, seatpost, the lot swapped straight over.

The chainstays are beefier (probably not a bad thing considering my track record – four broken frames in six years!) but the main tubes are identical. The frame felt heavier by hand and the complete build does weigh more than I’d like (I run square-taper, wire beads etc so I am not a weight weenie by any means). Have only had it built up for a week and have done just four rides, including two big ones- the feel is very similar to the Soul, and it’s ticked all the boxes so far.

My email is in my profile – feel free to drop me an email if you want more specific info.

Goldigger
    Free Member

Someone on here has one of these I believe..

http://www.alltricks.com/mtb/frames/hardtail/dartmoor-2015-frame-hornet-26-275-black-102-221355.html

Different colours available too.
    http://www.alltricks.com/mtb/frames/hardtail/#!id_category=102&limit=40&brand=&order_by=alphabetique&view_mode=&page=1&ProductAttributeIds=68|180|182|1|&ProductGroupFilterIdsType=1|1|1|2|&ProductAttributeValues=69446|||160,2000,160,2000|&inStock=true&keyword=

€249=£180

Goldigger
    Free Member

You can get those frames above on bike24 a bit cheaper..and also this colour.

Plenty other choice on there to.
    Also this in various colours for €199
    Which can also take 26 or 27.5 wheels..sounds like saying a 29er can take 26 and 27.5
    Review here

http://www.bike24.com/1.php?content=8;product=127358;menu=1000,2,99,101;pgc%5B10396%5D=10397

Alejandro
    Free Member

I ended up buying the Giant XTC frame somebody linked to at CRC. I’ve always liked them, XC oriented rather than being more hardcore and also cheap. Will need a re-spray as the yellow is horrific but that’s a minor point.

Thanks to everyone that responded, and/or offered me freebies. I look forward to getting back into the sport.

On another note, I may also be looking for a second hand, 100mm travel, 1/18th steerer disc XC fork. If anyone has anything suitable lying around, feel free to send an email to the address in my profile.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Where can I still buy a 26" frame?’ is closed to new replies.