• This topic has 32 replies, 26 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by doh.
Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • When will ABS brakes for mountain bikes be invented?!
  • akaskittles
    Free Member

I’m tired of all the stupid braking bumps on my local trails. Far to many it’s like riding cobble stones! When will someone smart invent ABS disc brakes and make them a standard? Serious question. That will do away will braking bumps.

legend
    Free Member

ABS and off-road conditions isn’t a winning combination

Edit: plus skidz r cool

dashed
    Free Member

No it won’t. ABS isn’t that quick to respond that it wouldn’t stop wheels locking up on loose surfaces.

tomtomthepipersson
    Free Member

Sometimes you just need to skid (eg. to impress ladies).

JoB
    Free Member

they already did

slowoldman

I’ll have a go at inventing anti lock disc brakes just as soon as I’ve finished this packet of chocolate digestives.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Hope brakes have ABS as standard don’t they?

fozzybear
    Free Member

[url=http://www.bikerumor.com/2012/11/27/hands-on-sabs-antilock-bicycle-brake-pads/]http://www.bikerumor.com/2012/11/27/hands-on-sabs-antilock-bicycle-brake-pads/[/url]roady version?

There was an early version i saw yearssss ago that had a ring drive around the front hub that was like a ABS ring on a car, this has a teeth cog running into it which ran a pump to cause the pads to flutter in and out.
    it was cool.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I suspect that given the formation mechanism of braking bumps, ABS is likely to make them worse.

cfinnimore
    Free Member

*lifecycles voice*

Eventually the bump becomes a berm, removing the need for breaking and returning fluidity to your ride.

Harry_the_Spider

When they have finished selling us different wheel sizes and the 1 x 18 transmission.

cfinnimore
    Free Member

😆 at

1 x 18 transmission.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

ABS would make sense on a road bike but it just wouldn’t work properly on a mountain bike I’m afraid skill is key…

townydc
    Free Member

yeah right, they’ll be reinventing the wheel next…………..

ian martin
    Free Member

Doesn’t everyone pulse their brakes anyway?

GEDA
    Free Member

Why don’t you just bring a spade next time you go to your local trails and fill the holes in?

scud
    Free Member

I know on my old big enduro motorbike you could switch the ABS for when you were using it off road, so don’t think there can be an advantage on an MTB, i prefer being able to modulate the brakes myself, any system like that means you tend to lose a bit of the “feel” of what is going on.

akaskittles
    Free Member

Why don’t you just bring a spade next time you go to your local trails and fill the holes in?

I’m always doing that. Over the weekend some pretty big bumps appeared. I don’t know. Maybe cos we’ve just built it and it’s not compacted enough.

Thanks for the answers guys!

amedias
    Free Member

Apart from the fact that they already have, and the fact that ABS off road is not exactly a great idea, what is wrong with braking bumps?

They’re as much a part of trails as roots, cambers, rocks, holes, steps, puddles, ruts etc.

Euro
    Free Member

Badly thought out and/or built trial = braking bumps.

P.s. The day bicycles evolve to include ABS as standard is the day i give up on bikes.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Artificially compacted ground is pretty poor compared to naturally consolidated material unless you can give it a good going over with a wacker plate in the right conditions.

Generally I prefer to take off the tops rather than backfill, but that’s not always an option. Same with bench cutting. Its better to slice off the top to the new profile where possible, instead of disturbing and back-filling.

The game changes when you’re dealing with blended standard aggregates, but even then, braking zones are always going to suffer wear. Sometimes a tweak in the trail further up to reduce approach speed, or re-working the corner a bit to reduce the need for braking so hard can combine to produce something a bit more durable.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Badly thought out and/or built trial = braking bumps.

Negative. You can have a really well built trail but if a load of spanners come piling down slamming their brakes on and skidding all over the place its going to knacker the trail. Unless a well built trail = tarmac?

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Unless a well built trail = tarmac?

It would be the most durable, but obviously rubbish! This is the problem with trails and usage. There’s a constant balance of conflicting needs, and these are constantly changing.

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

Long time ago there was a braking bumps thread on here and someone scientificcy showed that the occurrence of braking bumps offroad was about the slowing of the wheel and would still occur if no one locked up.

globalti
    Free Member

Go and ride your mountain bike in some proper mountains where there are no braking bumps?

klumpy
    Free Member

Watched some motocross the other day.
    The track had bumps.
    The riders used their skill to use, jump, or avoid them.
    They seemed to be enjoying it.

Did you try using your skill to use, jump, or avoid them?

It might be fun.

Otherwise, well, kinda wonder why you’re on the dirt, really, if you wouldn’t find that sort of thing fun.

epicyclo

Antilock brakes were very common in my day. Simple mechanism that always worked in the wet – you could rely on your bakes not locking.

I’m not sure we’re ready to go back to rod brakes even though shiny chrome rims look ace. 🙂

GEDA
    Free Member

I’m always doing that. Over the weekend some pretty big bumps appeared. I don’t know. Maybe cos we’ve just built it and it’s not compacted enough.

Badgers or moles?

sbob
    Free Member

globalti – Member

Go and ride your mountain bike in some proper mountains where there are no braking bumps?

I don’t know what braking bumps are! 😀

jock-muttley

I don’t know what braking bumps are!

these, basically the bumps you get into a corner after (normally) a fast approach to it.

I always thought that it was full sussers that caused them, with the riders weight being too far forward so the back goes light and skips.

When cornering I try to hang my arse out the back in attack position to weight up the rear and use gentle progressive braking front and rear to dump as much speed on the straight so I’m slow in, fast out – But then I fairly sure my technique isn’t best. Get the line through a corner right and it “should” have a slingshot effect on a descent.

I find most of these bumps tend to be bang in the centre of the trail and normally not on the right line for the fastest and/or smoothest route through it anyway.

EDIT

Well the line I think is faster anyway, oldfart rally driver habits are hard to shake.

Speaking of rallying, the first item that gets binned in a rally car… yip the ABS relay / fuse, ideally you “steer” a rally car on it’s brakes on gravel, the braking system effectively makes up 50% of the direction changing apparatus.

GEDA
    Free Member

I find the exact opposite. Weight pushed forward and down, heels pushing down and hips following the turn. You can’t steer with the rear wheel.

tmb467
    Free Member

The initial formation of the bump ‘may’ be due to some braking but it’s exacerbated by suspension and once the formation of a bump starts then any riding will make it worse.

As the suspension cycles over it, the pressure wave will shape the ground around it

Just learn to manual over em and brake beforehand

doh
    Free Member

Afaik braking bumps can occur in pretty much any surface, I’ve seen it on Tarmac road and read that train tracks can get it as well. I have no way of explaining it though:)

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘When will ABS brakes for mountain bikes be invented?!’ is closed to new replies.