• This topic has 46 replies, 41 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by jedi.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • When was your last big stack/crash?
  • solman
    Free Member

Mine was yesterday. I was overdue one. It had been 3 years.

I remember lying on the floor, with the pain kicking in, relieved that it had finally happened.

weeksy

June, Swinley forest jump gully.

andytherocketeer

how big?

impressive big? or minor slip going round bend on sand needing face sewn back together kind of big?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Cwm Carn a couple of weeks ago. Stupidly overweighting the front of the bike over a jump/fade. Front tyre bit hard, and I went OTB hard. Ouch.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Once a year is my average for a big stack. Can involve breaking something, generally myself. Last was April, BPW, broken fingers from OTB.

cp

I’m way way overdue one…. not looking forward to it.

hora
    Free Member

4 weeks ago- the last turn of the Beast in the Peaks/drop off- about to launch it and the bike kicked me right and i went head first. Lay there for abit to make sure everything was ok first but my helmet (two weeks old) had to be retired as landed square on my temple. Also wrapped my forearm round a rock and it looks like a skin-scald/burn. Funnily thats my third on the Beast. Its not even bloody hard to ride.

solman
    Free Member

@hora, @cfh, @deadkenny ouch! Lost my front wheel yesterday over a berm. The worst thing was I wasn’t expecting it. I took it way too high and didn’t check my front wheel position. Next thing I know I’m on the floor hard. Broken collar bone, bruised ribs, cut hip and shoulder.

Bike is OK though 🙂

yorkshire89
    Free Member

Haven’t had one yet, only been riding 2 years though. I’ve had a few quite a few falls but have got away with cuts and bruises so far. I have near misses all the time where I feel lucky that it didn’t messy. I’m certainly due one 😳

bland

Had an hilarious one yesterday. First time on a cross bike, thrashing the local singletrack, just got into a section that was still overgrown and uncleared with bracken and rather than slow down knowing there were loads of hidden stumps I simply carried on. Cue first CX front flip! Made me giggle more than anything

olly2097
    Free Member

Two years ago;
    Over the bars at llandegla on the black. Cut my arms to ribbons, bruised all down the side, nice scar. On the way back I fell off again down the Offa’s dyke path. Sprained ankle.
    Should have rested but went to coed y brenin the week after. Not even going fast and I fell off on big dug and broke some toes.

Been OK since!

Northwind

Last bad one was back in May, lost the front end at glentress for some reason, almost saved it but was left with my weight forward and down, couldn’t complete the corner I was entering and didn’t so much go over the bars, as get fired straight downwards into the ground. Twisted my back up something rotten, still giving me gyp.

I got properly slapped down last week, trying to ride a wide offcamber section way faster than I should have- hopped a root onto another root and hit the ground before I even knew what had happened 😆 No real damage, fairly soft landing but I managed to hurt just about every part of my body, just a little bit- which is really kind of demoralising and hard to deal with! But totally served me right tbh.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

2 years ago. Landed a drop badly, with the handlebars not straight, spat me off going quite quickly and i hit a large tree backwards, had the most amazing bruising across my back that went from red to purple to green to yellow and took about 2 months to totally disappear. Woke up that night unable to move and went to A&E. Kidneys were ok, just very severe bruising. I was very lucky, with the force I hit the tree, my immediate thought was that I had broken my back.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

July, clipped a tree, endo’d for quite a bit then went out the front door.

Proper lie on the floor count teeth, expect to have broken bones but managed to walk away, 5 weeks off the mountain bike though. People behind thought it was a bad one.

joelowden

Five weeks ago at Kirroughtree; OTB and two fractured Radial Heads and possible scaphoid … still Bl***y sore .

Frodo

One week ago, went down fast and hard.

Lots of blood at the time but that was from superficial injuries. Still got a very painful chest and a dinnner plate size 1″ deep sweelling on my hips filled with Jelly.

Not had it looked at by a Doctor but beggining to think it may be wise?

badnewz
    Free Member

Five years and counting

Keando

In September on the London to Brighton Offroad. Too fast into a right hander, lost the front end and went down heavily. Right arm badly cut up and bruised, smacked side of head, glad I was wearing a helmet and done something to my shoulder. Visited A&E a couple of days later as pain in shoulder wasn’t subsiding – No breaks etc :-). But still giving me problems and pain when moving arm around to lift things.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

On Conic Hill at teh end of May. Was getting a bit cocky jumping over the stone steps on the way down towards Loch Lomond. Landing one my left hand wasnt on the bar, resulting in an over the bars big crash.

Rucksack with kit took the initial impact, followed by my right knee. The pain was unbelieveable.

Got to the pub, cleaned up all the blood puring from my arm and knee. Got back on the bike and kept riding up towards Inversnaid. Much of that section I cant remember because of the pain.

Turns out I had broken my wrist, and damaged tendens in my knee. 🙁

Taken months to get back to normal…

hot_fiat

Friday on Janet Street Porter (Ciclo). Spent the day repeatedly losing it on right-handed hairpins for no good reason. On this occasion the bike just stopped dead & I clattered to the floor like a total numpty. I have bruising all up my right side from my knee to my shoulder and for some reason my left index finger looks like it’s been stuck in a Chinese finger puzzle.

Also lost it on another hairpin on Tuesday. Knew it was going to hurt when I saw the energy bar accelerate out of my camelbak and whizz past my head.

Clobber
    Free Member

I read that as:

Where was your last big crack stash?

am disappoint

iainc

2 Ambulance trips in the past 12 months….. big faceplant at Cathkin last December, knocked out, degloved chin, broken jaw and nose, few days in hospital and plastic surgery. 8 weeks to the day later, sitting number 4 in a string at the Velodrome at about 30kmh and front 2 guys touched wheels and we all went down, knocked out, whiplash and burned face and shoulder

jedi

a few months ago i nailed myself riding a rebuilt woodwork line and found out we didn’t do it exactly right 🙂

Wally

Keando – where you riding fairly old bike and two guys helped you with your cabling because the crash had popped out the guides? If so – It was me! If not – you were not alone in crashing.

Tracey

Had a big one in Wharncliffe in 2007 which took 5 years and shoulder reconstruction to sort it. Last one was in the Alps at the beginning of August this year. We were on our third week and I must have been getting a bit more daring. Ended up over the edge after an exit from a rock shoot went wrong. Only cuts and bruises, but needed a new helmet, coat and frame.

Just got back from Wharncliffe after trying the new build out for the first time. Its just as awesome as the old one

thegman67

3 weeks ago doing the third drop on the Matador just before the fire road at Inners landed heavy and somehow my handlebar end managed to get under my fullface helmet cutting open my chin. I needed wo inner stitches and six outer stitches.

ThePinkster

28th June this year, BPW.

I think the front wheel caught a root at a funny angle on Vicious Valley and went sideways resulting in me shattering my left proximal humerus into several pieces.

ultimateweevil
    Free Member

My last one was just over a year ago now. Coming down through some roots on the Pie Run I think it was at GT on a left hander between two trees. Just as I thought I’d got through them front wheel hit a tiny little one went away from me and I went down hard in my left knee then tucked and rolled on to my shoulder while trying to unclip the bike. Got up checked bike was ok and then inspected the knee which was pissin blood everywhere whilst some guy rode right past after witnessing the whole thing without asking if I was ok/needed help. Still finished my run mind you 🙂

Knee was still bleeding/seeping come the Monday so went to A&E where the doc noticed a bruise on my shoulder after I explained the whole thing and she wanted to see it. Turned out I’d broken my right arm in 2 places as well, the humerous just at the shoulder and my radial head. Was off the bike for about 3 months before I could ride the road bike to begin with. Mtb wasn’t until April though.

Northwind

@ultimateweevil, if it’s any consolation there’s a chicken line now 😉

ultimateweevil
    Free Member

I noticed when I was there for the first time a couple of weeks ago now. I dunno what it is with Spooky though it makes me ride like a complete loon on the edge of control every time I go there. Nearly had an OTB after the bomb holes near the top but managed to make it look like a controlled endo that the guy following thought was awesome.

Keando

Wally – Bike is a 2006 Kona King Supreme but fiarly sure it wasn’t me as bike and cables were ok though two guys did stop and check I was ok before they went on. Was around the 44 mile mark.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

September Hope line at gisburn being stupid.

AD

June – on my road bike (!). On the A66 heading towards Braithwaite – still don’t know exactly what happened other than than I ended up off the carriageway and spawled down the cycletrack. Front tyre either punctured or blew out the sidewall (hard to tell as the sidewall might have gone when I hit the curb). I now have two new scars on my elbow and and excellent one on my hip. Luckily I escaped without any broken bones but cracked the headtube and trashed the forks on my trusty old Ellsworth Flight.
    Also learned an important lesson about going to the hospital sooner rather than later as the wounds got infected – that wasn’t pleasant :). The nurse led MIU at Workington is top class though!

stoney
    Free Member

Feb 16th, nearly broke my neck after face planting from 40+ mph….. 😯

Posted a u tube vid at the time….. 😳

Only the very top rib was broken in the end,(the one under the colar bone) but the neck still “clicks” a little….. 🙄

crazy-legs

May 2013.
    Descending into Roych Clough (from the Mount Famine side) on the CX bike. Caught in a rut, got highsided and flung into the bank shoulder first resulting in a broken collar bone.
    Bike was fine. 🙂

So I rode another 25 miles or so, got the train home, showered, changed and got the bus to hospital. I’m well’ard me. 😉

kahunajb
    Free Member

3 weeks ago local woods clipped a rock and landed hard on my side. Got home ok but then peeing blood and the most intense pain I’ve ever felt trip to hospital resulting in diagnosed lacerated kidney and a stay over night.

stoney
    Free Member

😯 @ crazy-legs!.

Similar to me…. I was KO`d, roughy 2 mins?, eventually got up and wandereed round…(i dont remeber this). It took the other 2 20 mins to reach me at which point we set off walking, but when i had gathered my thoughts and remebered, i jumped on the bike and rode down, got a lift back to town, got changed, had a cuppa! and then off to A&E (with a “potential” broken neck), from where i was strapped to a spinal board for 6 hrs and shipped off to the county hospital….

limburger
    Free Member

My last one was about two years ago, on Cannock’s stegosaurus, at night. It was frosty an foggy, and I went onto it too fast (having done it maybe 50 times), lost the front, and slammed into the rocks on the side (which give the thing its name – they’re huge pointy bits of granite). Two fingers broken, badly bruised elbow, cuts and bruises all over. Nobody around of course, but fortunately it was a short walk back to the car and a very painful drive to A&E. The medic set my fingers using brute force – I nearly fainted. Fine three weeks later. More cautious now.

bol

My last biggy was just riding along on my cross bike commute about a year ago. Front wheel dug in while I was going a bit too fast and not holding tight enough. Nothing broken apart from my helmet, but lots of bruising and struggled to climb stairs for a week or so.

I had a scary “what might have been” moment yesterday in Spain while riding a rocky/gravelley descent beside a river gourge, my bike began to two wheel drift towards the sheer edge of the path. Queue quickly remembering the “if you look at it you’ll hit it” adage and staring at the rock face the other side. I caught it before it got really close, but was shaking like a leaf when I got to the bottom.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘When was your last big stack/crash?’ is closed to new replies.