Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • When nature attacks….
  • DrP

I’ve seen it on you tube videos before, but last night on our group ride one of our chaps got shoulder checked by a pair of Stags/Deer whilst zipping down some narrow single track!!

Straight to the floor, shoulder scuffed and helmet cracked – eek!

The fauna managed to escape, most likely unharmed, and we had a slowing ride back home…!

We ride close to deer park, and have seen plenty running wild, but never had one of our group side swiped by one before!
    Scary!!

DrP

welshfarmer

Cue YouTube vid 🙂

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2oymHHyV1M[/video]

Hope your mate got off better than this

cardo

There are wild Deer roaming where we ride and we have had a few near misses. Quite a big beast when they run between you and the guy you are following. Hope your buddy is ok

rocketman
    Free Member

There are hundreds on the Chase. Have had them running alongside me, darting in front of me through the woods/undergrowth just generally everywhere. Quite a few Bambi-type fawns around at the moment awwwwwwwwwwwww

Everybody has an apocryphal tale about deer but the only one I know to be true is a friend of the mrs whose husband was out running when a deer ran into him. It messed him up pretty bad and his injuries prevented him from running again so take it easy with the wildlife eh

scandal42
    Free Member

That’s going to be in my head tonight now, shed loads of antler smugglers round our way.

scandal42
    Free Member

A badger 😳 resulted in me having 6 weeks off the bike 2 years ago.

Stripey bastards

muggomagic

I’ve had one run alongside me while riding down the lion trail a couple of years back. Luckily it went left instead of right. I did get smacked in the face by a bat once riding down there. Luckily it was the slower rooty bit at the top, so it was ok and just climbed up a tree and gave me a filthy stare. 🙂

globalti
    Free Member

A few years ago riding up the glen to a bothy near Glenelg in the mid-summer evening light after a prolonged, er, rehydration session in the pub we were startled by two deer suddenly jumping out of the undergrowth beside the road. To say that we nearly pood our pants is an understatement.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

So.. you pood your pants?

Yak

Got smacked in the face by a bat last night. Proper fright as I was on late solo ride and on a fast rooty downhill. Luckily had glasses on. Don’t bats have advanced sonar to avoid this sort of thing?

Beagleboy

Years ago, riding down a narrow track with trees on one side and a fence on the other, about five deer darted from the trees and attempted to jump the fence. Unfortunately one tried to go through the fence, got jammed and then firmly punted through as my wildly fishtailing rear wheel caught it on it’s behind…..be-hind….see what I did there?

When I eventually got home, there was deer hair burnt onto my rear disc rotor. I worry sometimes that it’s still out there, looking for revenge on the fat man who branded him on the ass with ‘Shimano’. I changed to ‘Hope’ brakes not long after to escape detection.

B. 😉

ahwiles
    Free Member

Yak – Member

Don’t bats have advanced sonar to avoid this sort of thing?

bat sonar is a fascinating thing, but moths have cottoned-on, they listen out for it, and will even just drop out the sky like a stone if the hear a bat ‘pinging’.

bats have cottoned-on to this in return, so will sometimes fly ‘blind’ when hunting, just listening for the flutter of moths in flight.

the price they pay for a tasty moth-based meal is the occasional collision with a mountain biker!

pictonroad

It was crazy, made a proper mess of his helmet and upper body. I’ve hit a cow (big solid hot wall) and rabbits n squirrels (fatal) on the downs. This is the first time I’ve seen it the other way round, the deer took him out without mercy.

Luckily we always ride with a trained medical practitioner. On this occasion he bravely ignored his own serious injuries to administer first aid.

Lester
    Free Member

i was driving south down the m11 and came to the last dark bit of the motoway before bishops stortford, doing a little above 70 🙂
    and i noticed a strange shape in the road which turned out to be a small herd of deer standing still in the dark on the m11, i braked as hard as i could and just side swiped one a little as they scattered, no damage to us or them luckily.
    on a funnier note, i have some deer that wander into my garden and in the autumn they get drunk on the rotting fermenting apples from the trees, they stagger a bit which is quite funny

Yak

Thanks ahwiles.

TimP
    Free Member

Wait, DrP is trained?

stinkingdylan
    Free Member

Got jumped by a squirrel whilst riding once. He kind of kept up with me, then hoped onto my forks, ran up my thigh and onto my shoulder. Sat there for a second or two and then jumped off into the trees…

Never got his name…

schnor
    Free Member

Interesting stuff awhiles! Years ago when I used to night ride, I’d get bats skimming off my helmet (fnar). Dunno if they meant to get that close but I always assumed their sonar gets absorbed by the polystyrene, meaning they were 2-3″ closer than they thought they were. Gave me the willies at first but got used to it, ace little things 🙂

nedrapier

Chap got kicked off his bike by a roaming horse/pony type thing at SSUK last year near Corfe Castle. He wasn’t happy. Think there might be a video somewhere…

LimboJimbo

I was once riding in darkest Peru when a small bear gave me a really hard stare.

njee20
    Free Member

It was crazy, made a proper mess of his helmet and upper body. I’ve hit a cow (big solid hot wall) and rabbits n squirrels (fatal) on the downs. This is the first time I’ve seen it the other way round, the deer took him out without mercy.

Luckily we always ride with a trained medical practitioner. On this occasion he bravely ignored his own serious injuries to administer first aid.

I’m confused, is the first part of your post missing? Were you on the same ride as the OP? Who had serious injuries? I thought the ‘victim’ had a scuffed shoulder? 😕

Badgers are definitely ones to watch out for, hardy little bastards.

maxtorque

I very nearly hucked onto a fox last time i was ripping down Lustley Cleave, so i guess it happens the otherway around too! (sorry foxy, gave you a bit of a scare i suspect)

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Nearly crashed into a Deer at Mabie two years ago, 8O. It was huge, can imagine hitting one would hurt.

rocketman
    Free Member

Got jumped by a squirrel whilst riding once

Have had one fall off an overhanging branch, drop between my arms, bounce off the top tube and my leg then fall to the ground and run away

Wondered WTF was going on at the time

pictonroad

Yes, I was on the same ride, I’d class the shoulder a messy over scuffed, I bet its black and blue this morning, I saw him hit the floor and it wasn’t a gentle tumble. 😐

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Last nights midnight commute home turned up two deer, loads of bats, a huge owl ( light coloured underside darkly upper side) and a badger along with usual rabbits and hares. The trails were alive…

welshfarmer

You must be riding with 27.5″ wheels 🙂

igm

A deer once nearly collected my car near Appleton Roebuck. I guess the clue is in the name.

There’s a barn owl that regularly flies along side me on evening rides, keeping pace. You see him in the summer, and once or twice I’ve caught him in my helmet light in the winter.

I think he’s keeping pace because the bike startles small mammals, rabbits or voles or whatever, that break cover – he can then swoop.

yetidave
    Free Member

Heard of someone who hit a deer with his car. Thought he had killed it and put in on the back seat to put it in the freezer. The deer then came too, and proceeded to panic.

aye-aye
    Free Member

Anyone visiting Whistler for the first time will get used to this scenario very quickly.

Junkyard
    Free Member

It would take me ages to get used to dry and dusty trails

Yak

The bear is sort of behind the danger tape. So all alright then.

scandal42
    Free Member

Bears terrify me, I always keep an eye out.

ecksee
    Free Member

Lester – Member
    on a funnier note, i have some deer that wander into my garden and in the autumn they get drunk on the rotting fermenting apples from the trees, they stagger a bit which is quite funny

Reminds me of this story

scaredypants

I cycled past 2 scrapping male deer on a nightride during the rut once – little deer, not the big scary red ones but even so wasn’t entirely comfortable passing a couple of feet away from clattering antlers

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘When nature attacks….’ is closed to new replies.