Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • When I was a kid I hated anybody who had this…
  • Harry_the_Spider

TCR

They were invariably spoilt b'stards.

As were BigTrak owners.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I had a BigTrak. 8)

Candodavid
    Free Member

I had TCR…till the dog chewed up track and controllers

MrNutt
    Free Member

I had Bigtrak *and* the tipping trailer!

Harry_the_Spider

CaptainFlashheart – Member
    I had a BigTrak.

We wouldn't have got on.

zaskar
    Free Member

I had scalextrick thingy and smashed my Dad's tv went the car left the track.

Scalextrick was banned for a while. So was sitting down on a sore butt. 👿

CJWeekes
    Free Member

Scalextric all the way in my house

MussEd
    Free Member

My cousin had both – AND Race and Chase. But he was fat and ginger.

I preferred Scaletrix and Hornby Train sets. I had beautiful blonde hair and birght blue eyes that girls seemed to like. HA!! Take that cuz…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Never had a Scalectrix set. 🙁

Had lots of Lego though. Best toy ever.

slartybartfast
    Free Member

Lego was the best toy ( still like building stuff now for my nephew).

colnagokid

scalextric rocked! wish I still had mine 🙁

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Subbuteo was the dream toy for us. I remember that Christmas morning when the World Cup edition with Argentina as one of teams was waiting there. What a morning!

skidartist
    Free Member

A friend had TCR and I didn't think it lived up to expectations – not very involving and a bit cacky really, but the ads made seem like the must-have. Scalextric though was the nuts though – the funny smell of burning, the sparks, the hum.

A played with it again recently and I'd completely forgotten the slightly euphoric dizzyness you get.

Kuco

I had Bigtrack and trainset brothers had scalextric. Though I've still got a scalextrix xr3i complete set in the box up in the attic.

matthewjb
    Free Member

My neighbour had TCR. And scalextric. And Big Trak. And that wind-up Evil Keneval.

All I had was Lego. (Which rocks)

samuri
    Free Member

TCR blew goats.A rich friend had it and tried to gafaw over me because all I had was scalextrics but HE was the sucker, I had the systemn that just worked, all the time.

The car contacts wore out on mine and that meant a trip down to the only shop in town that sold them with it's peado owner who would say "yes, they're in the corner, you go over there and I'll come and trap you inthe corner with my big fat belly…YEAAH2.

He didn't actually say that but he certainly meant it. Still, if being pressed against a wall by a big fat smnelly stomach meant I got my cars back on the track, it was well worth it.

fotheringtonthomas
    Free Member

We never got any stuff like that only got toy cars but later on we found out you could melt down dinky cars and cast the metal into arrow heads and fire them at the council house kids when we had stone fights on the dissused railway now that was a real 70s childhood

user-removed
    Free Member

My folks moved to Skye a few years back. Great. Went and visited them a few times before the heart stopping moment – "What did you do with all the stuff in the attic of the old house?"

"Oh we binned most of it and the rest went to the charity shop."

"Even the balalaikas?" (really….)

"Yup"

Didn't have the heart left in me to ask about my huge collection of Scalextrics track and cars, built up 2nd hand over the course of several happy years…. 😥

Ambrose

Scabbed knees….

SaxonRider

scalextric rocked! wish I still had mine

I've got a set for sale if you want it. Sweden Rally. I bought thinking I could relive my childhood. Instead, it just made me realise how small my house was.

montylikesbeer

Me and "our kid" got a TCR one year for Christmas, we found it in the attic in November and played it to bits in secret and on Christmas day had to crack on we were excited.

Sadly Allan died a few years ago far too soon but these happy memories still make me smile

Bushwacked
    Free Member

I've got loads of Scalectrix in the loft – been thinking I should get it out sometime soon and rekindle the memories

eckinspain
    Free Member

we had TCR (I'm pretty sure it was cheaper then Scalextric coz my rich mate had that). It was good for a while but then the "zig-zag jam car" stopped working and the cars would stop dead every time you tried to make them change lanes. And any amount of rubbing a 2p piece around the track and using a pencil rubber on the car's pick-up shoes had no effect 🙁

D0NK

Sorry gotta disagree with you there Saumurai scalectrix sucks, car stuck in a rut, pull trigger thats it! TCR has over taking and blocking/ramming other player, brilliant. Had the truck and trailer version, brilliant.
    Lego also rocks.
    Definitley not spoilt, were TCR expensive then?

Edit – Haha yeah I remember the 2p trick

lowey

Hardcare Scalextric fan here, but Santa once brought me a TCR. It didnt work, sure the cars moved sometime, but they never switched lanes. Traded it in for some more Scalextric's bits. Had a full track set up in the loft, was ACE!

cheers_drive

I had Bigtrack but not the trailer so I was unable to program it to deliver an apple to my Dad like on the advert.

duntmatter
    Free Member

Lego and BIKES here!

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

I wanted the TCR but got a 'no-brand' scalextric & subbuteo. My mate got TCR and it sucked big time.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

Lego and hand me down toys from the 70s here

and of course the king of toys, ZOIDS! (although they were a lot les fancy then the ones in the vid)

and britains farm stuff

but my grandparents had my Dad's old dinky car track racing thing. you could make loops and everything 😀

IanMunro
    Free Member

I have nothing to add to the OP's original statement 🙂

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

I had a TCR track,it never worked.Always wanted tin can ally.But dad got me an air rifle insted.Much better,the birds outside the house didn't stand a chance. 😆

Drac

TCR was the poor kids Scalectrix, my parents had very little money as kids but saved up one year to get us a Scalectrix it was bloody ace.

ourmaninthenorth

Never had a BigTrak – friend had one, though. Wasn't very inspiring.

Did have a Scalextric track (Le Mans – sooo cool), which was augmented with second hand track and additional cars. It sat in my parents' loft until they moved a couple of years ago. Was all given away (hope someone's playing with it now).

Never heard of TCR until now..!

Also had a small Hornby railway set. Intercity train and some extra track. I rescued that from the folks moving, and it's now sitting in its box in the cellar waiting for me to clean and revive it.

Lego was – as many have pointed out – pssoibly the best toy ever. How many hours of just building stuff? No wonder we all like fettling bikes and stuff on here..!

What I need is for me and Mrs North to have an offspring, and for it to be a boy. Then all of these toys are justified again..!

slowjo
    Free Member

I had Hornby Minic, the Hornby version (scaled down) of Scalextric. It was brilliant, far better quality. It used to have a lock switch so you could leave one car going round at its' optimum speed and race it, if you were playing with it on your own. Anyway, I left it on (both cars) and went to school one day. When we all got back in the evening the house was full of smoke, the controllers had melted, the plastic was virtually molten and on the verge of catching fire. Cue sore backside, cars, track and bubbling plastic, went in the bin. 🙁

When my nipper was born, I left hospital at about 9am after a torrid night, went straight to the nearest toy shop and bought him (cough……maybe that was me) a Scalextric set. On mentioning it was for my son, the shopkeeper asked how old he was (so we could get teh best set for his age/etc or some such drivel). I looked up and said he was about 11. "What school is he at?" asked the shoppy making conversation as he wrapped it up, "my son is 11, maybe they know each other" (Small town you see). It was then I had to confess I meant 11 hours, not years. He had a good laugh and said he had done the same thing, but he had waited a few months!

sslowpace
    Free Member

Yay!! I had a BIgTrak in the days of a propper 'big' xmas present.
    Mum didn't have much money so we really looked forward to christmas and birthdays.

One year i also got Starbird!!

mrmichaelwright, was the Dinky car racing the one with a massive spring and a sticky spike you stuck to the underside of the car and into the rotating spring?

MrNutt
    Free Member

oh god I had Starbird too, that was fantastic! here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORtzJ3gZ5ho&NR=1

but I never had the command base and launching pad, I doubt they even existed!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Me and my brother had a TCR set – the biggest one available at the time (29ft of track IIRC). Can anyone remember the hours and hours and hours of fun you could have with it – rubbing the track with a 2p coin to make it work properly….

EDIT: Just seen the 2p post above soz 🙂

algarvebairn
    Free Member

When I were a lad, I had a grifter, a football, and a load of annuals. Cant think of anything else I needed. Although I did have a fat, ginger "mate" who had everything and it p*ssed me off no end. And he was the first guy in our town to get an MTB. He flipped his lid though – last I heard he tried to hold up a bank with a breadknife.

freddyg
    Free Member

…..was the Dinky car racing the one with a massive spring and a sticky spike you stuck to the underside of the car and into the rotating spring?

Bloody hell, I'd forgotten all about that one. I had that as a nipper too, back in the early '70s. My mum bought it second hand and it never worked properly.

Never had TCR or scalextric, only Lego. I nearly wet my pants with excitement when I got my first technical lego set.

kiwijohn

This takes me back. We had Tyco slot cars & collected a lot of track. Built a spiral 10 circuits high with a 6 foot down ramp. Hours of fun.
    Saw a Scalelectrix Top Gear test track in the shops last week. Hopefully getting it for xmas.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘When I was a kid I hated anybody who had this…’ is closed to new replies.